Why do some people act like Apple slowing down phones with degraded batteries is a bad idea?

Why do some people act like Apple slowing down phones with degraded batteries is a bad idea?

It’s for phones that are 2-3 years and older and have gone through hundreds of battery cycles. These phones will have degraded batteries (if they’re iPhones or androids) and if you don’t throttle them the battery will start to randomly die at x% battery. This is actually pretty bad for the phone so throttling them seems like a better option.

Bear in mind these old iPhones will still be receiving updates while old androids do not. It seems to be that Apple actually does a lot more than Samsung/google etc to INCREASE the lifespan of the phone.

Other urls found in this thread:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT207453
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hiding it from people is the bad idea.

If they were implementing it as a feature they should have told people in the patch notes whatever they use when releasing an update.
Even better if they had some notification or options around it so people would see on their device what was happening.

Instead they did it completely in the dark which meant that people would be more likely to take it as a sign that their device was becoming slow with age and needed replacing, when all they really needed was to have the battery replaced, which some could have done for free under warranty or Apple Care.

It was deceptive.

Is hiding it really a bad idea though? Given that even most people on Sup Forums are too retarded to understand why they would slow down the CPU, how is the public expected to understand?

The only downside is people don’t know when to replace their battery

/thread

Instead of asking the consumer first or implementing it as a switch they straight up reduced iPhone's performance by 50% and kept the performance drop hidden from prying eyes. No other phone manufacturer does this. Then again no other company gets defended by its consumers this hard either.

just kneejerk anti-apple whining as usual

Just because people are too retarded to understand doesn't mean they don't have a right to know.

But it wasn’t hidden. The notification has been there since 10.2.1

if they wanted to know anything about their devices' underlying technology they wouldnt be using apple products.

anyone put off by this wasnt an apple enthusiast to begin with

>Is hiding it really a bad idea though?
Yes. If you have an iPhone6S and your friend has an iPhone8 and your phone starts performing badly after the update while his doesn't, would you be tempted to upgrade to the iPhone8?

What this is doing, without telling the user, is making the phone perform worse for a good reason that they don't know about. They will then think their phone is now outdated and needs replacing, when they could go to Apple and, if they are still covered by warranty/AppleCare, have the battery replaced for free, if not pay just $79, and have their phone back running perfectly again.

That says nothing about slowing down the phone.

Tells you that you need your battery replaced though.

support.apple.com/en-us/HT207453
It doesn't say that the performance of your device will be affected.
I could also argue that most people don't go into that page very so it could be months before they see that.

>If you have an iPhone6S and your friend has an iPhone8
if you're still on the 6 when the 8 is out then you're a poorfag who should stick to pajeetdroid

>may

That’s mean I use a 5s

I love this argument.

if they cared about battery life they would force the phone to shutoff voltage at 85% capacity when recharging

i bought a SE because i don't need a phone that big fuckstick, what's your argument now?

Reminder that this is the same iToddler shill that spams all these threads on Sup Forums daily. Report and sage.

Reminder to report commercial spam and astroturfing.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/z-AKUCW9z3QIuaU6QRbRHg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/_glUELz4vv9hjRZ8x1cIKg/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/VNbuaDIfThMAlAASqaI0Kw/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/epKkMUP2mAJphUDLwAIY4w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/llF-zz9URlbvsF7nE4mG0w/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/LDMvhb3n444ISJRI9u7YZQ/
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/uskkuBo91wIlsRF2wxGiLg
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/image/cqSr-2OIIrWCcTMw_U-HEw/

They hid it because applefags are too tech illiterate and stupid to understand basic shit

Fucking apple fags are so dumb it's amazing

>They hid it because applefags are too tech illiterate and stupid to understand basic shit
>notification pops up in the notification area
>performance has been decreased due to battery degredation. you may need to get your battery replaced
>hard to understand

>performance
>decreased
>degredation
Those words are far too advanced for iToddlers tbhfam.

Uhhh. Why would apple want you to keep using an old phone? Are you that retarded that you actually believe they don't like money? They impede performance to convince you into buying new hardware. "looks like the new ios is too advanced for my old hardware, wow I love apple so much for protecting ((my)) hardware. I cant believe how amazing this company is!"

The old hardware is perfectly fine. They would much rather you buy the latest model though.

>reduce performance by 50%

This number is completely made up.

If that was true then why do apple continue updating phones while android stops updating after 2 years?

>the old hardware is fine

The old batteries are not fine.

They don't, but that's also not a good reason to hamper performance.

I know you people will be like "but on Android you stop getting version updates within two years to try and get people to update to new phones!" but the fact of the matter is that most of the main manufacturers continue to provide security and fix updates for the Android version that the device ends up on for more than two years and they don't intentionally harm the performance of the device.

There is a considerable difference.

>still waiting for any actual hard evidence that throttling somehow prevents random shutdowns

come on shills, and just dont post your nigger search results this time

I mean if you don't understand why it is bad and a piece of shit move you must be underage or undeveloped.

Not telling people about it.
So they slow phones down, and tell no one, making people upgrade instead of paying 1/10th of the price to replace the battery.
Scummy business practices.

>I want my phone to be unusable

if you can't afford to get a new iPhone every year then you shouldn't be buying one in the first place.

>i-it's just a feature!!

Except Apple had released a statement saying that this “feature” is also on the 7 series with plans for other devices in the future.