/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask here any questions that don't need their own thread.
Check the wiki and use search engines to find if a solution to your problems already exists.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Splitter-Unmanaged-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY
sankeymatic.com/
pcworld.com/article/3095259/browsers/confirmed-only-microsoft-edge-will-play-netflix-content-at-1080p-on-your-pc.html
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2734782/net-framework-3-5-installation-error-0x800f0906-0x800f081f-0x800f0907
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/7d2d13c7-ec08-42a2-8db9-bbf070af308b/change-installation-source-path?forum=winserver8gen
kapilarya.com/how-to-enable-net-framework-3-5-on-windows-10
gen.lib.rus.ec
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How can I change the color of or remove the ble borders arround the url and tab bg?

Also does anyone know how to remove the bookmark's bloat? (view bookmarks sidebar, show all bookmarks, bookmark toolbar and other bookmarks, basically only leave the bookmarks)

Why there're no USB3 Type-B to SATA adapters?
What is the closest thing I can find for this?

Just get a standard SATA-USB adapter and whack another adapter on the USB end. This one costs $6.

blue*

I'm using ProcessExplorer by Sysinternals on my windows machine to see what's running.
It can automatically check virustotal to see if anything loaded in memory is a known threat.

Is there any (GUI) equivalent for linux systems?

Could I make a firewall/NIDS/NIPS using an RPI3 with snort installed, using a usb to ethernet adapter as the output?

Probably, yes. IIRC the rPi had some sort of USB-disconnect issue so you might want to look into that first. An old router or something like a banana pi (or beaglebone black) might do the trick too.

Are there any DVD players that can play video files from an external drive but cannot connect to the internet?

What's a good FTP client for ubuntu/mint?
Is Filezilla good enough or is there anything better?

I thought about that but I can't find anything for that SATA connector, only the inverse version.

I wish I could just buy an open-source router and get it going from there, but I'm using cable and non of the open source hardware seems to have cable as an input
I'll check into the banana pi, I want something that doesnt use much power

Like the pfsense SG-1000, thats pretty cool

Are Android anti-virus suites a scam? I have Malwarebytes anti-malware on all of my machines. I was thinking of getting the premium for all of them and it includes my phone. Would cost me $40/year.

Is there any point in running pi-hole and then ublock to filter out what the pi-hole missed ? I don't think It's possible to catch everything with the pi-hole, not without having to constantly whitelist websites your actually follow...

i want to molest illya

Im in Oz and on ebay I got a 3 device licence for kaspersky internet security for $12AUD.
There are a ton of other AV suites for around the same price.
Have a look around ebay for some good deals.
All licences I've bought have been legit btw

What are these types of graphs called?
want to make on what were money spent during xmas shopping (food, snacks, alcohol, presents, ...)
any online tool?

I do it. Pi-Hole just hits DNS requests, it doesn't stop sites that deliver ads to you themselves or have JavaScript shit on them.

VERY STUPID QUESTION INCOMING
My router has 4 ethernet outputs, if I attach a 2 way splitter to one of the ethernet cables and attach them to 2 different devices would they both work?
Like a basic bitch switch

I meant combining it with something like pic related (would probably need external power). What are you trying to do exactly, I assumed you want to connect a hard drive to something that used a retarded type B arrangement.

You don't have to use a router as a router. Think of it just as a PC with shitty specs. Keep your ISP router, then have another router with a decent software loadout like pfsense directly inline, and have that connect to all your gear.

>2 way splitter
huh, didnt know they existed for cat cables
try and see

Depends on the splitter. Some I've seen are intended for running two separate 100baseT connections down one cat5 cable, that type won't work. You can literally branch off the tx/rx pairs just fine though, it's exactly the same as an old-school hub. You'll get shitty performance if you use it for anything serious though since you'll get packet collisions.

On paper yes. Hut even if they do, keep in mind both devices will be sharing the bandwidth of a single port. Also, just look into a decent switch. Like an actual one. $30 will get you a run of the mill 5 port.

>have another router with a decent software loadout like pfsense directly inline
That is the simplest, most logical solution to my problem. Thanks mate

I don't see why they wouldn't work. I don't own one or I'd have a go right now and post results

Glances or Linux Process Explorer.
Though idk if they have that automatic check feature.

> don't see why they wouldn't work. I don't own one or I'd have a go right now and post results
because switch in the router might act wonky or the devices on the splitter might have trouble with each other communication

dunno, buy switch, so instead of 3€ splitter you buy 10€ switch...

Thanks. I'll do some googling

Yeah an actual switch looks like the way to go

my player has a usb port and sd card slot, plays divx mpeg etc files from a usb thumb drive connected to it

sumvision phoenix dvd player (chinkshit but has lasted 2 years so far)

If I am pretty sure I'm having a dream but not 100% does it still count as a lucid dream? Because I'm 99% sure I'm dreaming right now but can't do any of the cool shit people talk about doing in lucid dreams, not sure if I'm doing it wrong or what.

>$30 will get you a run of the mill 5 port.
for $30 he can buy managed small switch like sg108e

run of the mill 5 port 100Mbit costs $10
amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Splitter-Unmanaged-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY

Look into a mirror. Mirrors don't work in dreams. Same with clocks/watches.

Does anyone here use an open source router?
If so, which one? Or what would you recommend?

this is exactly what I'm looking for....but it's sold out everywhere. kek. thanks anyway

What is the maximum distance a hdmi cable can be to support 4k @ 60fps?

Hi sqt, just break it down for me if its's really a BFD that we have 8 cores in a smartphone. From reading reviews, I don't see any practical improvements compared to say, 4 cores

8 cores means you can call 8 people at once and maintain 8 different conversations simultaneously. I think that's pretty damn cool

Trolling on sqt, senpai?

can someone link me a guide for win7 iso/install?

and does it work with 6700k?

sankeymatic.com/

On windows 10 which is better Netflix App or Netflix on Chrome?

Not firefox since I use that as my browser and I have a lot of tabs.

user there are lots of players out there that play video files now, just find one with a usb port (also lots of these)

How do I find collision boxes on old genesis games?
I know how to display them and thats through lua scripting but how the tell do I find their "hitboxes"?

not joking, Microsoft edge browser. only way you can watch Netflix in 1080

pcworld.com/article/3095259/browsers/confirmed-only-microsoft-edge-will-play-netflix-content-at-1080p-on-your-pc.html

Trying to get .net framework 3.5 on my Windows 10 PC because evidently having a newer version isn't good enough for this piece of shit videogame.

I get an error when I try to install it however.
So I cruise on down to google, and get this result from Windows.

Seems pretty straightforward to me, except where it says "configure for method 2", when there is no "method 2" listed I can see on the tutorial in the first place. I assume that maybe it means method 2 is a setting in the group sharing thing then? Regardless I figured I'd see about getting some help from you lads before going any further just to avoid potentially fucking up my PC by being retarded.

The error in question is highlighted, and the game is the original Magicka if that matters.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2734782/net-framework-3-5-installation-error-0x800f0906-0x800f081f-0x800f0907

bls respond

Try opensnitch.

ah cool. Do you know if there's benefits of using the app over edge?

pretty sure the app uses 1080, but edge is only browser that supports it. use whichever is smoother, I guess.

You go to Programs and Features in control panel, Turn Windows features on or off, tick Dot Net Framework 3.5. You don't need to download anything.

Is monitoring traffic through Wireshark a foolproof way of detecting botnets/Trojans or can packets (or data about the recipient) be obfuscated?

Google firefox user css.

Yep, tried that. Still doesn't work.

why does g seem to think that its board is only for computers and electrical dvices?

I need some decent data scissors dammit.

are you tapped, or just listening at the router?

After digging a bit more it seems I literally can't even access gpedit.msc with Windows 10 Home edition without downloading some shifty-ass looking bullshit first, and even then it says I might need to install .net 3.5 for it to work when that's THE ENTIRE FUCKING POINT OF WHAT I'M DOING.

Windows 10 is fucking cancer but I'm stuck with it because allegedly 7 won't even run on a 7600k.

pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

?

Ah okay, I wasn't sure if you did it that way.

I figure the article is referring to Method 2 from another error code (probably the one for Windows 8 on that page?). You should be able to follow that, basically it's adding an alternate source for the dot net components so you are pointing to the sources/sxs location on the ISO.

Good luck, post your results.

If you don't want to download that gpedit thing (all that seems to do is add the gpedit msc to your install) you can add the alternate source path using regedit instead. All gpedit does is make it easier to change things that are stored in the registry anyway.

Check the regedit answer:

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/7d2d13c7-ec08-42a2-8db9-bbf070af308b/change-installation-source-path?forum=winserver8gen

Also yes I know the instructions are for Server 2012 but it's the same location in the registry. Does W10 home have gpupdate? If not just reboot after making the reg changes.

htop is amazing - I put it in tree view, hide user and kernel threads, hide full paths, and highlight program names. Beautiful. It's a terminal app though. If you must have a gui suggestion, I used to use gnome system monitor.

Hence "allegedly", I know you can but it seems like a pain in the ass and at this point I have enough shit on my PC I don't feel like reformatting unless it's absolutely needed.

Looking at this it seems I'm straight-up lacking the Servicing folder in the first place. I guess I might just have a fucked up install of 10? Unless there is no Servicing in win10 anyways

Also if it isn't obvious yet I'm basically computer illiterate outside of things that can be fixed with Google and some basic-tier digging.

Good question. I originally meant running it on the computer itself, but I guess listening in on the router might make more sense?

Right click policies key, new key, call it Servicing
Create the string LocalSourcePath in Servicing key
Set the LocalSourcePath value (double click it) to x:\sources\sxs (x being the drive letter of the mounted W10 iso you downloaded)
Reboot
Go back to Windows features, try adding Dot net 3.5 again

Suppose I send a sensitive image to 10 people. One of them leaks the image online anonymously. Since it was send to 10 people I can not tell which one of them did the act of leaking. Is there a way to make an invisible watermark on an image that i can see if i want but others dont suspect a thing? Preferably something that stays put even when the image goes under most social media websites image processing.

My dog got recently confiscated by the county because I'm behind on my registration fees and they said if I don't pay up by next week they're going to euthanize it. Is there anything I can do to get an extension or something? I don't think I can have the money in a week and I'll be just heartbroken if they kill my dog.

Pic related is my innawoods home internet connection. The only local alternatives I know of are Dialup and Hughesnet; both are even worse. It's honestly faster to drive 30 minutes to my local college to download large files off of their connection.

The best we could negotiate after several weeks of calls to their underpaid pajeet tech support was an invoice reduction. And I suspect they actually made the speeds even worse to match.

And now Net neutrality is kill.

So here's my question: should I just kill myself now or later?

Just fuckin go John Wick on em man.

>Bit the bullet and got gpedit
>Set things up accordingly
>Used gpedit /force in admin cmd, said updated, think I'm finally making progress
>Attempted to install
>failed
>Restarted pc to be safe
>failed again
>mfw

At this point I just want to get it working because shit's bothering me, Magicka isn't even that good of a game.

Damn user, I take it tried the dism command too with no luck?

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:x:\sources\sxs

That command explained here :
kapilarya.com/how-to-enable-net-framework-3-5-on-windows-10

Yep, just tried that one- result is pic.

It's like the fucking files don't even exist or some shit.

*face palm*

you want to observe the actual traffic. you can run it on your computer, but youll inly see your own, and even then. I doubt its everything.

ideally, you want to put a network tap in between the computer you want to monitor, and the router/switch.

so you get a tap that does port mirroring, and you monitor from there. you want to inserve the traffic movingthrough the wire itself.

Actually I changed it to be the same text as yours and it seems like it may have worked- the result I had on Google has "LimitAccess" in the wrong spot it seems.

Crossing fingers to see if it actually works now.

It looks like you got the sources path typed wrong (should be E:\sources\sxs not E\:)
You can browse to E:\sources\sxs in cmd right?

Good news- Magicka doesn't give me that error anymore.

It still CTD's immediately though, but hey it's progress. Time for the usual run as admin/compatibility troubleshooting.

Edit the image EXIF data (although this can be edited/removed by anyone)
or
Change one pixel, preferably near the center

After some significantly easier troubleshooting I've gotten this game running, thanks to . Seems to be working without much trouble.

Thanks user.

>Make build
>Try to boot with W7 setup on a USB stick
>Says device isn't bootable
>Plug in W7 32-bit CD in a portable drive to test (don't worry I didn't buy it, unimportant story)
>Works, build runs fine
Is it normal for USB installs to not work, or should I just rewrite and try again?

Is there a way to prevent W7 from changing back to the basic theme no matter what?
I've tried setting the advanced performance options to best performance or custom with everything enabled but every so often it decides to switch on its own.

>Is it normal for USB installs to not work
No, it isnt, you fucked something up

Ah fine, I'll just keep messing with it until it functions.

One reason it does that is it can't validate the license, which could happen if your BIOS clock is wrong at boot (wouldnt happen after first boot if you have time set to sync over t'internet).

Might not be your issue but worth checking the clock.

Are there any powerbanks that don't have a cable? I go to the loony bin occasionally and they don't let cables.

Where do you guys download your e-books? I'm looking mostly for IT and programming books.

gen.lib.rus.ec

I'm using a daz activated copy but I've never had issues with windows genine
It only happens when I tab out of a game and windows freaks out and gives the slow performance warning

Check power management settings to see if your processor throttles down

>tfw didn't get any bitcoins from divorceanon
did anyone else get them?

High performance mode

How do I pick between python 2.7 or 3.6? Which one is better?

What happens when your android version is unsupported? Because I've just realized I'm on 5.1 which is gonna be unsupported soon.

Should I quit Internet forums entirely to free myself from groupthink?

Unsupported by who? Most phones running 4.4 are fucking fine right now

I just checked the versions on wikipedia and noticed everything prior to 5.1 is "unsupported", so I didn't know what that would involve.

Not much, some apps require 5+ to work but devs doing that reach fewer people so most of them support 4.3+ without issues.
You can install a custom rom if your phone allows it, I have my previous one running 7.0 on an old Samsung S3, the company only released 4.3 on that

Can any person here that has an Arris router please report how is your setup of port forwarding? How should it be done, if it works to you and others.

I got an Arris TG1692A model one to replace the old one of mine from a ISP that I recently switched to it. It's much more reliable and faster, which I'm more than satisfied with it, but on the other side, not only its port forwarding setup is a little more complex and convenient to use, I also can't get it to work. I'm trying to open the ports for qBittorrent and Soulseek. No matter what I do, I still can't get them to work based in the sites I use that checks if theses same ports are open or not.

Can I get some suggestions to solve it? What should I do? Pic related isn't mine, but it represents the exact same model of the new modem I have gotten.

I want to have sex with her

>how is your setup of port forwarding?
It isn't. It simply does not work sometimes. Do try to change the qBitTorrent ports though, I believe there was an option to do that.

>NET feelings

UPNP

What's the standard way to install Lineage without gapps? I've got a full backup of all my apps through oandbackup right now, TWRP installed. This is an exynos S7 if it matters.

Do I need to wipe anything before flashing? Do I need to set up additional things to get rid of google before/after flashing?

Does Clonezilla run well with VeraCrypt-encrypted SSD's?

Why would you think it wouldnt?