Be me

>be me
>wanted to learn programming
>learned programming
>love programming
>become good at it
Basically I enjoy programming and coding, and love discussing with it, when I was younger I used to get all my friends into programming, and taught them stuff, and they were slightly annoyed, they never really learned programming but it was alright.
>Become really good at programming
>People keep asking me questions about it
>Then meet people who "want to learn programming"
>Waste my time with them
>I teach them everything I know, I talk about it with passion but they seem bored.
>They get other non-related jobs and quit it.
>Die a little bit inside.
Am I a bad teacher? What's wrong with these kind of people, the people who say who want to learn but they don't learn anything!

It's as if they don't actually give a shit about programming, it's just a meme to them. How do you deal with this situation?

On wich IRC channel i can talk to you, that you can teach me some stuffs? i'm interested

I mean you're on Sup Forums you can pretty learn anything here, if you really wanted couldn't you

Actual teaching rarely ever happens on Sup Forums also most people don’t even know anything

I'll bite #rgb canternet.org

This is why I stopped helping people who want to switch from Windows to something like GNU/Linux or FreeBSD. It ended up feeling like I've been wasting my time after seeing them switch back to Windows after a few weeks, complaining about the command line, and failing to understand how file system permissions work.

It feels a lot less like a waste of time to help more experienced users. They've shown they're willing to stick around, and they're able enough to find and read documentation on their own. Even when someone isn't around to provide immediate help, they're able to stay interested. Sharing with your peers is a lot more fun than seeing someone have a tantrum about having to actualy learn something, after you have spent a week or two trying to help them with their issues.

i blame phoneposters

bump

OP it's taken me awhile to accept this but I think it really is true. Most people just fucking suck. Society is held up by a relatively small percentage of the population, the rest just go along in their roles like npcs and aren't really anything more than cogs in the machine. When you try to enlighten them with anything, teach them anything at all. You might succeed in teaching the knowledge but unlikely that they will understand and integrate it well into their greater world model.

Sorry on people are just dumber than you realize on average

Is the Linux command line book a good introduction to programming? Is it useful for windows as well?

The problem is that people want to do programming because it's very good paying and they maybe even want to become famous. What they don't know is that programming requires some skills and brains and that's what they lack so they just quit. Programming isn't for everyone :)

>be me
>wanted to learn programming
>learned programming
>love programming
>become good at it
Basically I enjoy programming and coding, and love discussing with it, when I was younger I used to get all my friends into programming, and taught them stuff, and they were slightly annoyed, they never really learned programming but it was alright.
>Become really good at programming
same as you until here
>never got hired because credentials says "physicist" and not ok with programming in java
so now I'm doing financial models

What's the context of these meetings? People you meet online? Unless they're dedicated people will always flake out or feel overwhelmed by how much they underestimated learning a new skill.

>who are you helping and why?
^first question you should have asked yourself. do you want to help the person who is bad/inexperienced at mathematics but loves computing or do you want to help the person who uses facebook a lot, bought their mac as a fashion statement and heard programmers get paid well? 90% of people are the latter without the mac. the news tell them tech companies and startups are making big money, and programming is so easy; even a kid could do it.

here's what people should strive for.
>people who have an interest in tech at an early age == strive to complete a degree in a computing or engineering field
>people who largely think tech is "totes cool" but really just want attention == marketing
>people who just want to make money == business degree

we've somehow got the message across to people that programming is a life skill and that tech jobs are for everyone, they're not. people need to asses their strengths and weaknesses better is all. teaching programming to people who have no interesting in computation, mechanical or electrical systems, or complex things is a waste of time, your time and everyone's time.

>but user the news told me we need more people in STEM
actually we don't. STEM has a large populous amount of people who make it thrive. if anything we need more nurses and doctors.

not true, dpt threads are very helpful and are basically stackoverflow with only a little bit of hazing, if you have an interesting problem or even a seemingly basic problem people will discuss it

>little kid, relative says they want to study CS
>walk them through some programming
>teach them how variables work, if, loop
>end up showing them how two loops can make a multiplication table
>kid just asks how is this useful

baka

No. Bash is a shit language that shouldn't be used for more than one liners.

Teacher here
Money needs to change hands if you want to avoid people like that. At least 90% of the time.

Anyone got the full version of OP’s pic?

Or the elitist idiots who shitpost and shame you

You might actually be a bad teacher, even if most of your students just weren't cut out for it. Might be your enthusiasm and knowledge came off as unrelatable, and rather than make them enthused about programming it made them feel insecure about their own ability and potential.

It'd be like if some guy wanted to get into martial arts, but his teacher was Goku who on the first day said 'You're gonna love this' before going through Super Saiyan forms.

Not suppressing your power level only works if you establish yourself as an authority figure your students are willing (or even forced) to submit to. Otherwise you're just their friend who seems way too far ahead or a natural genius for them to bother catching up with.

Shup up you fagit. I’ll shitpost from my bed as much as I want to.

I also enjoy teaching people things I've learned, even if it's just neat little facts, but I also have a similar experience...most just don't care. It's kinda depressing, but whatever. I just don't share my interests anymore.

its actually really bad and most of the paths lead to java or python for no real reason it'll say shit like
>DO U WANT TO MAKE MONEY?
>OK GO JAVA

What's recommended? I've heard python is good.

I used Ruby to learn how to "think like a programmer" and then found Python easier for actually scripts and programs for use in my work's Production Environment.

Ruby is good for making simple fast Rails apps for the normies at work to interface with.

Python was my first language and it's the one I recommend to others too. It's the most accessible and "human-readable" of the major languages while still being extremely powerful, and it's easier to ignore/save the more "computer science-y" stuff for languages like C/C++/Java.

ok I laughed

You dont need a degree to get hired tho

Is python really that easy?