/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-laptop-W520-Core-i7-3-30Ghz-16GB-RAM-1920x1080-NVIDIA-250GB-SSD-/142184489580
twitter.com/_Yikai_/status/943426165275947009
rbt.asia/g/thread/62770477/#62787044
rbt.asia/g/thread/62770477/#62789959
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for merry christmas or whatever fucking holiday you celebrate

Arigathanks user-kun

Does anyone else have temporal dithering on their TN x220 panel? It's really noticeable and annoying on gray content and images. Does it also occur with an IPS panel?

Merry Christmas to you user-kun and to all /tpg/ers.

Bought my x230, shipped it to my gf's parents. Guess I won't be opening it untill tomorrow. Merry Christmas eve, anons.

>having a gf
What's that like? It's been so long I can't remember any more.

how old are ya, mein opa?
are ya single or married?

It's really nice. My mom just passed away so she's been very supportive.
>stop watching 2D user

In my 30s and single.

Merry Christmas, user.
(I don't watch anime)

Proud of you. May you find your senpai in 2018.

Can X60 or X60S models be given 8GB RAM, or is it capped at 4GB?

240x-kun, pls respond

If money is no object do I get the T470S or T420?

You can install 4 but only 3 will be usable due to chipset limitations.

chipset caps it to 3gb

Fucking beautiful machine though. Installing a lightweight distro with a lightwieght DE really makes them fairly snappy again.

I was thinking about selling my laptop and getting a thinkpad. I used to have one, t40p I think, and liked it. Do you guys think I should?
Right now I have a 13.3" 2 in 1 dell with 1080p ips display, i3 6100u, 4gb ram, 128gb ssd.
I was thinking maybe a used w540?

Get a T60 or X60 and libreboot.

Damn. Is there anything with a similar size that can support 8GB?

Hope everyone is comfy with their thinkpads this Christmas and if you had one on your Christmas list I hope Santa delivers.

here is some oc not the best but the best I can do.

X200 or X220.

Looking to purchase a used Thinkpad, don't need anything too fancy, mostly for movies and spreadsheets and typing on trips, as my current laptop is failing. Planning on just installing Windows, I don't need Linux support on this one. Don't need anything terribly high performance, but 1080 screen is a must at least.

Any suggestions? Was looking at something like this

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-laptop-W520-Core-i7-3-30Ghz-16GB-RAM-1920x1080-NVIDIA-250GB-SSD-/142184489580

On ebay, but I'm not too familiar with Thinkpads so I have a hard time telling a good deal from a bad one.

Merry christmas, /tpg/.
I think this thread has held up comparatively well considering were discussing more or less ancient tech.
Some knowledgable people here.

Or even the X61 although getting 8GB of DDR2 will be a pain in the ass

The 3GB limitation is only across the 60 series

how much should you pay for:
x230: IPS, 8gb ram, 240 ssd, used(condition looks to be great but never know)
x220: IPS, 4gigs/HDD, mint condition with brand new battery

both i5

>how much would you pay for botnet
Nothing.

Merry Christmas to you too.

I got 400 euro and want something with a nice screen (colors, res, size at least 15 inch) and something good all round for thinkpad beginners nothing specific in mind other than that.
What should I look for and where?

To be real, screen resolution is what you get a mac for. It's their main non-vapid selling point.

that's a nice picture, friend.

My thinkpad x200 recently fell this morning and it first came up with "fan error". I decided to tear it down and clean up my fan to see if it was the problem. Upon removing the keyboard i realize the keyboard is well connected to the motherboard and i do not know how to remove that cable safely then reattach it. I decided to connect the charger to my x200 again and it boots with "cannot boot to any device" and the fan rattles as it attempts to boot up, and stops, and does it again reptitively. What can i do to A. fix the "cannot boot from any device" screen and B. the fan rattling?

i mean i dont want 1080p+ just 1600x900 is fine

is 1366x768 acceptable for 14 inch screen?

alright mate? In the budget for getting a thinkpad

Owned a T60,T420,X220 before. All fantastic machines! First learnt how to use linux properly on the T420.

Now it is the time to get a responsive laptop. I wish to sell my Desktop as I no longer play games.

Budget:
£200 maximum
Purpose:
Browsing, typing, reading stuff online and mindmaps
Portability might be of concern as I will take it to school or university next year
Learning about cyber security, maybe running the odd VM or two.
As I would no longer have a desktop I would also want to place on a desk and connect it to a monitor and work off there as well.

Any suggestions? :) cheers lads.

Mine is only 1024x768 and I find it to be okay.

might I add I have a 250gb SSD and 8gb laptop DDR3 ready to swap out.

Get another T60 and kit it out.

Merry xmas /tpg/.
Came in to laugh at you, ended up joining you.

>Past
>browsing Sup Forums
>thinkpad? HAHAHAHA IT'S THOSE SHITTY COMPUTERS LIKE IN MY MIDDLE SCHOOL
>WHY IS THERE A GENERAL FOR DUSTY OLD SHIT HAHAHA

>Present day
>get made fun of for liking thinkpads because normies think aesthetics is everything
>finally found the perfect laptop for my mother who always manages to break them one way or another
>look at specs and prices of other laptops in stores with pure disgust
>always thinking "I could buy two much better x220s for that price"

>
you sure about that? the CPUs in those aren't very powerful. If I had the capabilities to make a frankenpad out of the T60 and mash a i7 mobo that would be great lol but I cant.

What do you need all that power for?

merry christmas anons, hope you all get what you wished for!

>Now it is the time to get a responsive laptop.
If you aren't playing modern video games, how would a T420 not be responsive? As long as you have an SSD as your primary drive, a T420 or newer will serve all your needs. Even some modest gaming. I really don't see how a modern laptop would be any more "responsive" in daily computing activities that don't involve things like rendering or gaming.

not saying that I need an i7 mobo.
General running programs, tasks etc.
using VirtualBox every now and then

I listed some purpose in my main post

Any processor made from 2010 onward will serve your needs. You don't seem to have a concept of what performance is.

sounds good. cheers mate

I just dropped my X230 down about 20 uncarpeted stairs onto a tile floor below. The only damage is a chip out of the corner and the top bar running across the SD slot cracked off. Whole thing still works perfectly and is solid as ever.

FEELS GOOD MAN

fucking hell that corner looks battered mate

It is but it's just an inch or so thin strip of plastic that broke off the edge of the palm rest and some chipping on the corner. It doesn't wobble or anything either so it doesn't bother me much. I can always buy a new palm rest for it. The SD slot is part of the lower housing so that one bothers me a little but it's still fully functional, so I can definitely life with it.

Most of the advancements in processors in the last 7 years have been in power efficiency. The performance is more or less comparable, the newer ones just use less electricity and generate less heat while doing the same work.

I got a really cheap 1920x1200 display off of ebay that had severe crack damage to a corner but the panel was otherwise fine, was able to swap that panel with my panel and have a bunch of spare components that somewhat work should I ever need them
got to love the durability of thinkpads and the ability to fix them when they break

thanks! that will be taken into consideration :)

hmm is it possible to create a 3d-printed part for it? or just cover it with some sort of black epoxy or something. buying a whole new palm rest would be a little wasteful. but carry the marks on your laptop gracefully for it has endured the test of time.

I have heard rumors on some thread somewhere or some article (dont remember enough details to provide sauce) about a possible X60 / X60s / X61 / X61s reboot. I love the pressure sensitive screen with the stylus and the fact that it swivels and covers the keyboard when you put it in tablet mode. Also love the fingerprint scanner. Also like the 4:3 screen ratio.

TLDR: What do you think the chances of getting a modern day X61 with the 4:3 screen and/or rotating screen are?
Any chance of a thinkpad (or any other computer, for that matter)

Yeah, I probably won't buy a new palm rest for it anytime soon since it's really just cosmetic damage. I'll probably be getting a new battery and new rubber feet, and possibly some different kinds of trackpoints to try out before anything else.

we'll know in the next few days/couple of weeks when lenovo announces the new thinkpads

yeah have a look around mate.

Also if anybody needs info on the X60/X61 I can provide. I have taken apart both of them down to the motherboard and reassembled them.

ohh, where do I look for this new announcement? Just on their homepage?

twitter.com/_Yikai_/status/943426165275947009

looks like the x280 is getting a redesign into a normie ultrabook... please don't make it into a chinkpad

This. My T420 even plays Civ 5 smoothly for the occasional holiday I want to kick it and play some vidya. The GPU is definitely close to the edge of its capabilities, but unless you have a specific need for a stronger GPU, there's not much reason.

yes. T420 is a little bit big though. Might look for getting an X230.

yes, those laptops I had previously and I no longer have them, hence looking for a new laptop.

It sounds like x230 would be the way to go for you then.

Hi everyone.
A frankenpad question:

Would a 1024x768 15" T60 screen work with 14" T61 mobo?

I'm
rbt.asia/g/thread/62770477/#62787044

My T60 is a 1951-V15, and I just ran into a chance to grab a mobo from a T61 7659-12G, which I'd like to swap into the T60.

What's with this?
rbt.asia/g/thread/62770477/#62789959
>From what I read while building mine, the 15" 1024x768 screen doesn't work properly with a T61 motherboard.

Is that true? If yes, what's exactly "doesn't work properly", and where do I go to read more on this?

No, I don't want to buy a FlexView panel for much monies.
Yes, I do want a 1024x768 15" frankenpad, as long as it's feasible.

Hello, /tpg/. Has any of you found by chance a X200 motherboard with a P8800. All the motherboard on Ali are P8600 (which is my current processor).

I'm the user you quoted, from the photos I saw the screen doesn't display properly. The image is all fucked up and misaligned, not really usable. I admittedly didn't try it myself, I just grabbed a higher-res screen before the motherboard just to be sure. IMO the screen is more important than the spec upgrade anyway.

Between X220, X230, and X240, does the line actually improve, or did Lenovo start cutting costs?

Is adding 4k screen on a lenovo p70, with m3000m, and 256gbSSD, for only 300 dollars worth it?

I got a deal, but I dunno if 4k screen slow down performance, or are a hassle for users. What do you guys think?

wow user, that was quick.
could you perhaps direct me to the sauce where you saw that?

I think I'll grab that mobo anyway and see what happens, for science. but it'd be good to know what my chances are.

>a X200 motherboard with a P8800
must be super rare.
thinkwiki says this exists, but I can't recall having ever seen an X200 with P8800 anywhere. not sure about P8700.

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

Oh wait, the 7659-12G is a widescreen one.

Anyhow, the question still stands
>Would a 1024x768 15" T60 screen work with a [non-widescreen] 14" T61 mobo?

yup. any suggestions on where I can get a cheap and clean 'pad?

>1024x768
>15"

What's the standard screen resolution? 1440?

Where's the sound card on the X60s?

>tfw father's work has over 200 T420s and X220s in storage that they're just getting rid of
>tfw I can have all of them
>for free

Build Fort Kickass.
Post pics.

You won't be able to use them all properly. You will have too many.

Send me one for Christmas, user. You can be our Santa.

(You)

its been a week, wheres my email nigger

All of a sudden my trackpoint and the trackpoint keys are no longer working. I'm in windows now and both were working fine last night.

Can this be because I did the 420 keyboard swap on the t430 without taping over that one lead?

Youtube a teardown

So, i updated my thinkpad drivers and these apps appeared. Which ones should i keep and why?

make a cluster

There's some X230t with a good deal. How prone are the X2xxt models to shit the bed? I've heard nothing but trouble.

Hey ni/tpg/ers , is the t430 keyboard completely unusable? I've never had a thinkpad before only have a Dell latitude so I should be able to get used to this keyboard right?

Botnet. Do not buy.

Forgot pic related

The only ones you'd actually want are System Update (only as an one-time use tool to get your drivers though), Power Manager, Communications Utility (if you hop between many networks or want to set up your thinkpad as a hotspot easily) and the Fingerprint utility if your device has a fingerprint.

Fuck off, nigger. It wasn't funny the first time and it's not funny now.

>ja ta ta to tu lulum...

>freetards

Keyboard is miles ahead of other chiclet shit, while it isn't as good as the classic keyboard it is actually pretty good. My favorite thing about it is the key travel distance.

If it wasn't for the shit key layout, it would be on par with the classic keyboard. That is, it's not so much that the key material is shit, but the layout is completely shit.

Just ignore the freetards.

sure, it's a chiclet, but it's the best of its class.

not if you do this :^)
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

delet

Merry Christmas lads! I love my T440 (minus the trackpad), and it's a beast in video editing, but I was looking for a good upgrade from it. Mostly for editing stuff, and more advanced gaming.
What could you guys recommend?