Should i get this or a macbook?

should i get this or a macbook?

Get the one in the pic.

macbook

F P B P
P
B
P

Why would you want a macbook? They constantly overheat and thermal throttle.

owner of one
can confirm.

kill yourself or get a job.

thanks for your helpful reply

they're both for the same kind of usage except Macbooks are overpriced, not upgradeable, you can't repair them manually, they usually have worse specs, without Windows it's basically a glorified iPad, Apple will most likely charge you tons for repair/replace.
Only macbook advantage i guess is if you already own tons of apple tech then you might benefit from being in the same ecosystem

fpbp

You can, at very least, resell the Apple shit for a decent price in few years. Lenovo however is losing half of it's cost (at least) once bought.

>tl;dr
Buy used/refurbished laptops

i dont understand why you only present these two options. theres nothing wrong with buying a used laptop of any brand that is designed well and has reasonable specs for the price.

just stick to that and you will end up with a good laptop. if you dont understand what specs youre buying then google them.

Laptops are pure shit. Get Macbook for resale value if those are your only two choices. Otherwise get a Chromebook and save the other $800.

>get an arm toy instead of a computer

Why not a XPS13?

As if x86 laptops aren't toys. Proprietary firmwares, performance like a 2012 desktop (which can only be sustained for 5min before throttling), tiny 14" screens, Optimus 'technology', no upgrades, et cetera. Buy a Chromebook for whatever bullshit you're doing on the road, and save your money for a desktop.

I'll just ignore OP's choice between X1C and Macbook and say: a 2012-2013 Laptop without ULV meme-processor combined with docking station is an awesome combination and can remove the need for a desktop.

How's the performance on a Gen 1 or 2 X1C anyways? Is throttling a thing?

>Is throttling a thing?
#JustApplelThings

>Ultrabook meme

Get a fucking brain and buy an X series you gigantic faggot.

I didn't mention the Macbook for that reason. I only asked for the X1 Carbon

>2012-2013
>laptop
>remove the need for a desktop
I guess, if you weren't doing anything CPU or GPU intensive to start with. If you don't care about upgrade path, or your neck...

When I first got my X230 with i5 and SSD I was quite surprised myself. It's only barely slower than my desktop so I never looked back. Of course I can only play really old games if I feel like it.

>upgrading
I find it sad that you always need to buy a new motherboard whenever you try to upgrade CPU. In my case that would also imply having to buy DDR4 RAM which have a ridiculous price right now.
But if you "only use it for desktop purposes" there's literally no use to upgrade from a decent 2013 machine.

I have a T460 and a 2014 desktop (i5-4690S + GTX 780). The desktop runs circles around the laptop, and the laptop is much louder. If you think your laptop is 'barely slower' than your desktop, then maybe you never had a decent desktop to start with.

>i5 4670K
>8GB DDR3
>GTX 970
>Samsung 800something EVO

Sure it's not bleeding edge, but I doubt that any upgrade would make it really much faster. About 15 seconds boot time to Windows and everything starts instantly.
Would you say newer hardware would make a MAJOR improvement?

A Thinkpad X220/230

So, you never do any video editing? Never open more than 20 tabs on your browser? Never use any bloated office software like Acrobat Pro or Outlook/Word 2017?

Personally, once I have 4 tabs in IE, + 10 tabs in Chrome + Acrobat Pro + Outlook + Word running on my T460 (with a 2.5K resolution secondary monitor attached), it slows to a crawl.

I use Vivaldi, so it starts very slowly anyways, and I'm one of those guys who always have 30+ tabs open.
The X230 isn't that much slower for these tasks. I admit that the laptop is a lot slower when more than 50 tabs are open, but that just tells me that I'm being a retard again it doesn't reflect normal use.
Running browser (normally), Discord, Explorer, Winamp, VLC videos is quite similar between Desktop and Laptop. No Video editing of course.
Could it be that the T460 is not running as well because of ULV processor? Just making assumtions here.

get a yoga thinkpad desu the touchscreen is super comfy and the stylus is great even if you think you would never use it it's nice that it's there although the bezzle is a bit bigger so keep that in mind

could be i guess. i5-6200U w/8gb

macOS is great for doing actual work.
It's stable, supports bash and most importantly, most professional software.
I agree on most other points though.

yeah but you can achieve all that with Linux

Not the professional software part you can't

Yes you can
especially with alternatives (that are sometimes far better, Google Docs > Microsoft Word, etc)
and there's Wine
and Dual-Booting
and VMs
the setup time wouldn't personally for me justify spending over9000 more than Thinkpad just to get less functionality but already set up

neither

no fuck this
I had a 2017 x1 carbon and it's a piece of shit. Trackpoint and Screen are a 5/10 at best, each.
I have a huawei matebook x that I'm really happy with. If I were to buy a really expensive laptop though it'd be a Dell XPS 15 with the nvidia card

A X1 carbon isn't that much cheaper than a MacBook though

>doesn't like x1 carbon
>thinks the xps would be better
Yeah you're just learning that laptops are shit, young padawan.

Using Yoga X1 gen2 in work. Pretty comfy pice of tech.

??

I actually had the X1 Carbon and I've used the XPS. Not even lying the best laptops I've ever used were a Macbook Pro 2014 and my current Huawei. Old thinkpads would be fucking perfect if they had better screens and emitted less heat. Essentially the 51nb thinkpads are the best laptops ever made