What's the best time to buy a replacement battery...

what's the best time to buy a replacement battery? Should I do it when my phone is still new and I can get the official battery from the manufacturer easily or wait 2-3 years until the battery fails and then have to find a chinese knockoff from ebay? I'm assuming if I buy it now it will degrade over time without use?

Depends, would only get oem replacement. Unless you want a hole in your leg and pants from being cheap buying chinese knockoff to save $5

Well I would always get oem replacement. Problem is they won't be selling them anymore by the time my battery dies so I'll have either find one second hand or buy chinese.

Okay this is something I have always wondered about. Would love to see what people have to say. Hope that everyone has a good christmas as well. Goodnight anons:')

I've had my phone for 6 years now and bought a replacement battery just a few months ago. Funny though it didn't improve battery life all that much...

from where?

Buy an replacement replacement as soon as the next generation model is released (approximately the last time they're available). Keep it refrigerated until you need it.

do I put in the fridge naked or put it in something?

I have one inside an anti-static bag that used to hold a SSD. Avoid getting condensation on it (if there's humid air in the bag/container it will condense when you chill it).

50 percent storage charge is freezing it
3.6v to 3.7v
3.0v is a dead battery. 4.2v is full charge.
stored at full charge is almost as bad as letting one go below 3.0v. which in reality most of these batteries have a small chip inside that disconnects power to the terminals when the battery falls below 2.8volts. if that happens even once the battery is considered damaged and no longer fit to charge. and this is true. they become volatile. so if you wanted to get one, and put it away, remember, dont charge it all the way up and store it. and dont trust that it is at 50 percent from factory either. check it with a volt meter.

do not freeze ever

so you have to keep checking it to make sure it stays at 50%?

only if autistic

it won't discharge? So if they come at 50% already I can just through it in my closet and it'll be fine for 3 years?

no
3.6v and store it
a year later it will probably read 3.6volts same as it did the day you stored it

but you said 3.6v is 50%?

>I'm assuming if I buy it now it will degrade over time without use?
It's not exactly kept in cryostasis in the fucking store. I bought my Note 4 battery even when I didn't need a replacement yet because the only difference between having it at my house and at the store is the latter has a chance of getting sold out and then you'll have to place a special order when you could've just kept it in your medicine cabinet.

"if" it is at storage voltage when you receive it, and the battery has no real defects, it should be ready to be charged and used 3 years on just like a brand new one

Typical Lithium Ion batteries last about 500 cycles prior to degrading to 80% of their initial capacity.

A cycle is defined as about 80% discharge, charging your battery when it gets to 20%. Lower discharge amounts will increase the longevity of the battery, fully discharging and charging is more strenuous when done repeatedly.

After another 500 cycles when it gets to the 80% of its initial capacity, it will continue to degrade until the battery barely holds a charge.

I replace a battery about once every year or two with daily 85% usage.

Sauce: am Hobby Electrical Engineer and Former mobile device repairmen who has replaced many ballooned and cycled batteries and designed battery banks for many different chemical compositions.

So no matter the mAh of the battery, it always should stay at 3.6v?

For example

3000mAh battery at 3.6v = safe

5000mAh battery at 3.6v = safe

100000mAh battery at 3.6v = safe

?

I'm pretty sure other people are buying batteries which means they are getting new stock in that haven't been sitting around

Buy 1, swap it out every couple months. Will limit the wear & tear on each battery making it last even longer.

I forgot to mention the goldilocks factor with temperature, if its not just right that can cause faster degrading, along with overdischarging or charging, and liquid damage.

Buy 2 straight away for maximum battery life.

basically yea. 3.0v is dead, 4.2v is full. sometimes the automatic cutoff is at 2.8v but on avg 3v is considered dead. so 1.2v is the full duty cycle of the battery. half of that being somewhere around 0.6v being 50percent of the safe discharge range.

This doesnt not apply as much with batteries that have level discharge curves.

Different battery chemistries have different voltages at full and empty, the gist is to keep the battery as full as you can.

Its more desirable for a battery to have a charactistic like 3.7v full 3.7v empty because this means regardless of its compacity its voltage is uncompromising. For example your flashlight would be as bright as 1% as it is at 100. Batteries are not like this with most present day technology and the voltage will drop more the lower the capacity (amps).

not really
if stored properly they can last a very long time
if you are talking about a year, that is nothing. it would be just like it was the day it was made
thank you nasa

yep same same

And how do you store them properly?

Dry, dark, room temperature places.

the safest place would probably be within a watertight container in climate controlled faraday cage with silica beads to absorb humidity.

A box is fine.

I've read online that it is better to store them in the fridge. The colder the temperature, the less faster it degrades. Is this true?

at 50 percent charge toss it in a desk or something and forget about it until you need it
maybe pit a bit of scotch tape over the contacts if its going to sit in a bin with a bunch of paper clips, staples, bits of metal.
thats about it.

i dont know if thats true or not
i do know they do not discharge as well in cold temperatures

When the battery life feels inadequate, that's when you replace it.

Out of the box then.

kek

>Dry, dark, room temperature places.
>the safest place would probably be within a watertight container in climate controlled faraday cage with silica beads to absorb humidity.
This is not even remotely how most Samsung stores keep them. They're just on a rack.

Um I Just got this phone about a month ago. Should I be worried? 2 fucking hours?

verizon's site says usage time up to 28 hrs. WTF?? how could the battery be that fucked?