/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Christmas edition.

>Delid your CPU
youtube.com/watch?v=2eFzNpTOaOw

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/g3JDpb
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824146234
lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-27UD69-W
www3.lenovo.com/au/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/office/X1-27-inch-Monitor-HDMI/p/60E2GAR1AU
youtube.com/watch?v=yg1rMGkCxDY
benq.com.au/product/monitor/bl2711u/
pcpartpicker.com/product/TX4NnQ/amd-ryzen-3-1300x-35ghz-quad-core-processor-yd1200bbaebox
supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/A2SAV.cfm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm thinking about building a mid tier gaming PC. Is i5 good enough or is Ryzen 5 okay? Probably not going to use my system for work until like 4, 5 years later

Is an OC'd i7 3770k still pretty relevant these days? Would it bottleneck a GTX 1080 @ 1080p @ 144hz?

These 2x8 3200MHz are priced almost the same as the Vengeance 2x4 3000MHz
What is the dealio?

Should I go Ryzen?
pcpartpicker.com/list/g3JDpb

Probably the timings which is arguably more important than speed.

2x4

How is this ssd?

>>G4560/G4600

Good monitor?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824146234

What's the best stress testing program for measuring highest core temps you could reasonably expect? I'm hitting 95+ with Prime95 b/c of this AVX bullshit on base Vcore, I need something more helpful.

Heaven 4.0

Thanks senpai

Is the NZXT Phantom 820 a good case for it’s price ($179-210)?

This is a first case buy btw.

How shit is the RX 550?

>drive bays

No. It was a good case ~5 years ago. Times and standards have moved on. I have one myself, but if I were buying a case today it would not even be close to the top of the list.

>drevo
literally who

supercool but i have no idea if its good

Look at benchmarks for applications you intend to use it for. Just keep in mind higher tier cards offer more performance per unit of currency.
95 in prime95 is still bad. You may have to upgrade your cooling solution and/or air flow. Check for proper heatsink contact.
Also am I going crazy, or is Ryzen 5 completely and utterly useless with the intel 8400 around? It beats the 1600x at 4.0ghz in every test (besides civ6 for some reason), and ties it at worst. You don't need to overclock it, and Ryzen OC is a gamble. The only downside is having to buy z370, but at least that has XMP going for it.

Depends on what you are coming from, but 1050 is way better for around the same price...if you are really set on AMD, go for the 560 imo

How can I remove Windows from my HDD so i can do a clean install on my SSD without losing all my data on my HDD? I basically have a fuckload of files on my hard drive but want to make an SSD my boot drive

I've got an AIO. When I stress test Prime95 without AVX I run around 60 C, but with AVX I get those higher temps.

>Even DDR3 is grossly overpriced
Why... All I want is to upgrade a few things on my jumbled mess of a computer so I can limp along for a year or two more.

What cpu? Is it coffeelake?
Time to start afresh user. Honestly there's some decent prebuilt deals going around that don't really seem to correspond to current ram price.
The BEST way imo is put all your important data on an external hard drive or secondary hdd, format that bitch, reinstall Windows on the ssd, and move your files back over.

>The BEST way imo is put all your important data on an external hard drive or secondary hdd, format that bitch, reinstall Windows on the ssd, and move your files back over.

can i install windows on the ssd, plug in my hdd, move over the important files folder i created and then format the hdd? or will windows not boot if there are 2 drives with windows installed or something

>can i install windows on the ssd
install gentoo

>can i install windows on the ssd, plug in my hdd, move over the important files folder i created and then format the hdd?

Yep

>will windows not boot if there are 2 drives with windows installed or something

It will be boot to the first HDD with windows under boot priority in your BIOS, just make sure the SSD is set to boot first after your USB/CD.

Any recommendations for a 1440p 21:9 monitor?

Going to be used for primarily Gaming, Photo Editing, Digital design etc.

Price isn't the biggest issue, cheaper the better obviously.

Aside from gaming/high end workstations is there even any point building a high spec PC anymore?

I ask because I’m thinking about building a mid-spec PC but with pretty much everything moving to the cloud part of me just thinks I should build a basic pentium rig and use cloud services for everything else - eg Azure for dev/labs, office 365/google docs for word processing etc...

Is the desktop PC dead, Sup Forums?? Is Chrome the future?

Ok thanks

I'm thinking about buying more RAM to my secondary PC that still uses DDR3 RAM. Is there any real world difference in having latency of 9 over 11?

This thread is really more for people who have already decided they need a desktop, rather than the esoteric discussion of the point of desktops.
All I can say on the matter is buy according to need, and no more unless cash flow is easy for you.

How does the base (without overclocking) Ryzen 3 1200 perform in gaming? If I were to pair it with the RX 570 4gb GPU, what kind of gaming performance could I expect?

how badly did i fuck up?
does the free ac origins make up for it?

Merry Christmas dudes. I'm not sure whether to post this question here or in stupid questions, but I'll give it a shot.

I've had to abandon Windows 7 for now because my new motherboard doesn't work well with it. I'm on Windows 10 now and a friend who was helping me diagnose the problem said I'm technically entitled to a full version of Windows 10 through my motherboard. I'm getting the activation watermark and I'm locked out of things like personalisation. I can hide the watermark through editing the registry, but it always comes back when I restart. I have no product key and no Googling is helping, any idea what he meant or if he was talking shit?

Some guy on a local buy/sell site is offering:
> Ryzen 5 1600
> Asus PRIME B350-PLUS mobo
> Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2x8GB), DDR4 3200MHz

All brand new/unopened, with warranties, for $600

Good deal y/n? I'm tempted

>$200 cpu that is outdated
>$100 mass produced mobo with shit bios drivers
>$200 meme ram

Its a rip off unless you are australian

for around ~230 euro(without including the amp/dac/interface/whatever) am I better off with headphones or studio monitors like jbl lsr305

i don't know what the fuck i am doing. i am trying to upgrade my pc, switching from an amd processor to an intel processor- do i need a new MB for this aswell? i just wanna play dwarf fortress on something other than 1x1 embark with 20 hard cap pop.

welp, time to update from my i5-3570k finally i guess - thinking of 8700k, how's that sound? mostly playing mut also quite a bit of multitaskin & vm work due to dev work

Buying a 4K Monitor for 3D Software and general productivity, and choosing between the LG 27UD69-W 27" and the Lenovo ThinkVision X1.

lg.com/au/it-monitors/lg-27UD69-W

www3.lenovo.com/au/en/accessories-and-monitors/monitors/office/X1-27-inch-Monitor-HDMI/p/60E2GAR1AU

Which one do you think is better? I can get the ThinkVision X1 for the equivalent of $58 USD cheaper. Every other 4K IPS monitor with eye care is out of my price range.

Im guessing you have an old athlon system, in which case you'll need to upgrade cpu, motherboard and ram.

Post specs, budget, applications you will use and monitor class.

An 8700k sounds about right then.

Do consider waiting to see how Ryzen 2 will fare though, they might be better for work station use or you might find some intel promotions.

If you are on a fixed budget and can choose from i5-8400 with 3200mhz RAM or the i5-8600k but 2600mhz RAM, what would you do? Does the ram speed have that much impact compared to buying a higher tier cpu?

I read somewhere that you can OC the 8400 to 5ghz despite that it doesn't have a K in it, so whats the point of 8600k?

You'll get better performance with the 8600K system (unless all you play is Fallout 4), but generally this is a trick question since the 8400 doesnt bottleneck any modern games.

>I read somewhere that you can OC the 8400 to 5ghz despite that it doesn't have a K in it, so whats the point of 8600k?

As long as you have a masters degree in electrical engineering and computer science, the 8600k is pointless if you have the tools and time to jailbreak your motherboards bios and make custom overclocking utilities.

You always have to make compromises at this price range especially if you seek pro grade stuff.

Go with the cheaper of the two, its the same basic panel anyway.

Which cooler get for my 8700 (locked)?

Anyone got a dummy's guide to overclocking? Had my build for years and I actually never tried

I did research on this before pulling the trigger on my 8600k.

Get an M9i or a Pure Rock Slim.

Where I can buy an i5 8400?

youtube.com/watch?v=yg1rMGkCxDY

Guys
GUYS
8600k overclocked or natty 8700 (locked)

Please respond

Gaming

That's not really a guide though, only a video showing his setup

same boat as you I think 8700 is the better pick you get a cooler, more threads (this seems to boost the 1% & 0.1% in tests)
if the cooler won't let boost stay on just replace it but depending on your environment/case it could be enough
also with ryzen having the same number of average threads i5 might get cucked in future games 3-5 years from now

Hello! Anyone have some experience with this case? The RX580 should fit fine from what I've seen and there seem to be no compatibility issues. Just wanted to triple check, any comments are appreciated. I know the graphics card is very overprice atm but I got it from a friend, got a great deal on it etc so I'm waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive

I was in this boat until I pulled the trigger on the 8600k because the 8700 had been out of stock forever and I couldn't be bothered waiting anymore.

If you're gaming and emulating, 8600k. If you're planning on work/productivity, 8700.

I'm getting the 8700 as well I believe. If I do I will get the h7 cooler or the noctua 14us

Thoughts on my cooler choices?

*tips the boat both of you faggots are in*
Say hello to Jack lmao

Why doesn't PC Partpicker have any Ryzen 3 series CPUs? I'm only seeing Ryzen 5 and 7 on there

so intel i7 7700, why not? t. shit at computers

>You always have to make compromises at this price range especially if you seek pro grade stuff.
I figured that but I'm really not sure the features of say, the more expensive BenQ BL2711U are worth that big of an extra investment.

benq.com.au/product/monitor/bl2711u/

I''d recommend the 1300x if you're not overclocking.
But the stock 1200 is already pretty good, you might be a let down with games who are clock speed whores.

My old laptop just BSOD on me and now I'm looking into building a new PC. Is it viable to get an i5 8400 without a GPU I'm only using it for anime so I'm not using it for anything very processing intensive.

which xeon should i get to upgrade by s775 pc? e5450 seems to be the popular choice, but e5440 is 40% cheaper and only 0,2ghz slower? i'm not looking to oc since i have only a stock intel cooler and any aftermarket one would cost more than the cpu itself.

I grabbed the E5430 to upgrade my E4500 dual core trash.
It's only a 14% difference overral.

Thank you for making that clear!
There is not noticeable fps gain when upgrading ram from 2600 to 3200 then.

pcpartpicker.com/product/TX4NnQ/amd-ryzen-3-1300x-35ghz-quad-core-processor-yd1200bbaebox

I like how PC Building General thread starts with Delid your CPU. InteLELite getting rekt hard.

The game is worth it. Don’t listen to what people say about it on here, it’s a lot of fun.

Its all relative really, especially with gaming performance.

Certain games benefit from higher ram speed, some dont matter, and some hurt having low memory clock speed. Its wiser to invest in high speed memory today because 2017 showed us that it mattered more than before.

And to be honest, I think this is a good time to invest in a good pc core. A 8600k with 3200mhz ddr4 memory will last you probably longer than a 2500k system ever would.

That sounds assuring. I'm hoping to experience upcoming games (RDR2, Kingdom Come, Sea of Thieves etc) on something close to very high settings at 1440p with between 60-144fps.

Not sure about graphics cards yet so I'll stick with my 780 for now and see if Volta becomes a good choice.

Why do these always make me laugh

3930k with Rampage IV Extreme, currently overclocked the CPU to 4.5GHz. Cinebench score is 1035, but when I try to do a test with Prime95 it gives blue screen after a while. This doesn't look that normal desu, is it?

that's a funny meme.

Do I need to upgrade my PC? I have a i5 3470 and a HD7950.

>boot up pc
>system is very slow even after 10 minutes
>open up task manager
>lots of minor processes are running at the same time
>ram at 10,5 gb usage
>all the visible applications in the list only goes up to 2gb, max

windows what are you doing

>not using LTSB windows

Got the A2SAV from Supermicro.

supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/A2SAV.cfm

>power on
>LED indicated it's powered on
>not video output, neither HDMI not VGA
>switched RAM
>removed M.2
>cleared CMOS
>no output

Came here to beg for advice.
> Motherboard broken?
- RAM is fine.
- Power supply is fine too.

> Do I have the wrong approach and this is the wrong way to setup this server mb?
> How can I debug this problem headless? via COM or some other connection?

Hey, I got the following system:

i5 3470
2x8GB Kingston Value
1xSDD, 2xHDD
PowerColor HD5770 1GB
Cooler Master Elite Power 460W

Do you think this system could handle an RX470 with that PSU? Or would it be pushing it to the limit too much? I know brand new 470s are expensive, but there are some decent auctions on ebay that could possibly go for under $200.

If not, what PSU would you recommend as an upgrade? Before this CM that I only had for 2 years, I only used generic PSUs my entire life, so it was a hell of an upgrade, but I keep reading they are actually not that good and don't give the power they say on the 12v rail and this worries me.

Something to do with the CPU, this happened to me a little ago, turns out there was a piece of cloth between one of the pins of the socket that prevented it from making contact with the mobo socket.

It's an embedded CPU

you need to look at the details tab and sort by commit size, or if looking at then also the "committed size"

why windows tip toes around is beyond me

Haven't paid attention to my ram status in a while since I had no problem with it, but this shit is ridiculous. You upgrade your ram to give extra head room for your applications since windows chews up anything under 8 gb, and at the end of the day windows takes the whole cake again!

>mfw $600 27" Gsync 165hz monitor shows up with this massive ass dead pixel

I noticed I had another dead pixel but it's just one of the RGB's instead of basically all 3 like this one, so it's tiny and I can't see it anywhere. This one is obvious as fuck.

So I don't have to pay 100 dollaroos for w10?

What you've got there definitely isn't because of Windows alone. Pic related is my memory usage now with ~2.5GB worth of legitimate application use. FF alone is using 2GB and I've got other shit running too.

>has less than $10000 in savings
>bus $2500 gaming PC
What did the millennial mean by this?

MY CASE DIDN'T COME WITH ANY FUCKING MOTHERBOARD SCREWS

FUCK YOU FRACTAL MY CHRISTMAS IS FUCKING RUINED

implying that's limited to millennials

by the time you're pushing $2.5k you don't even know what you're buying.

t. millennial happy with a $700 mid-range build that I know will last me

Wish I bought a Xeon or i9, does threadripper have igpu?

Now I’m stuck with an rgb gaming rig. No one wants to buy a used 1080 for msrp

>Savings
>Millennial
I think at my job (all who are paid fairly well) I'm probably one of the only guys who has more than a few grand saved. Most others are legit down to

What's the cheapest CPU for my old 380x so my friend can play GTA online?

Benefit of no social life is that I have a lot of money saved. Not because I make 300k a year but because I only ocasionally spend money

My currently running applications don't go over 2 gb, so what windows is doing with 8 gb worth of ram I have no bloody idea of.

Only get dummy answers on google about this though. I'm gonna try rebooting and then consider doing a fresh reinstall of windows since its about that time anyway (and I got some new hardware to install as well).

spoilers: it's still probably aggressive precacheing.

Planning on upgrading to a Ryzen 1600, with new mobo and RAM, along with a 1060 6GB.

Is 500W enough for this? Is it too much? I plan on playing 1080p at 60 fps.

I'm in the screenshot get in

I would put a 600-700W power supply. Those specs need some juicy power.

600 is fine, just make sure it's a reputable 80+ PSU.

Thanks anons, will upgrade my PSU as well then.