RSI/Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

> be almost 30 years old
> never had any gaming/it related injury/pain
> have some project, so I code p much all day and night long for a while
> half a week ago start feeling this numb-ish feel in my left thumb
> when I check it's numb from the base of thumb all along to the nail, but only the top of the finger

FUCK.

Is there a way to fix it?
I use a mechanical keyboard so the fingers are a bit raised. Would a lower profile keyboard help?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3DR9fAQuOK8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pretty much fucked once it starts. I've had carpal tunnel in my right wrist and tendinitis in my right shoulder since I was 20. The entire arm is nothing but a source of non-stop pain. Just got to work through it.

Fuck. That sounds ... not good. ;_;

It's not the end of the world but you might have to type slower and\or type less. You can wear wrist bands, they're uncomfortable and limit typing speed a bit, but at least they'll maintain a healthier wrist angle for you. I already have two of these, one for each arm.

go to neurologist and check your spine from the lower back all the way up to your head.

Get a hand brace.Pic related.
Take Ibuprofen+ Paracetamol.
It should be fine in two weeks.
t.orthopedic surgeon.

this but also bone spurs on my shoulder blade

here is what you need to do:

* Understand how serious this can get if you don't change anything. You could be in real pain every single day. It could get so bad you struggle to do daily non-computer tasks with your hands.
* Stop using the computer for one entire day. Let your body heal itself. Using the computer is what is causing the harm.
* Get a split keyboard. Straight keyboards are anti-ergonomic, they twist your wrists out in a way that is horrible for the body. Nobody in the world should use a straight keyboard.
* Optionally switch to dvorak. I find it much much more comfortable.
* Optionally get a vertical mouse. I didn't find this helped me, I went back to a regular mouse.
* Look for complimentary issues to treat. The whole body is connected, the way you sit, the shape of your chair, the way you have your feet anything like this could be a contributing factor. The mental states you are in could be relevant too, and you getting stressed or angry with things your dealing with at the computer. Trying to stay relaxed and loose can help.

Don't listen to him, just see a doctor and or/physical therapist and they'll give you exercises, then go to a pharmacy and try on braces until you find a comfy one. You'll need to take time off if you want it to heal properly.

>Is there a way to fix it?

Rest until it feels better and then rehabilitate with weight training to build up your body to avoid strain.

Keep your wrist straight and relaxed, as in keep your wrist in neutral position. Support your elbows on armrests at table height level, which should be such that your elbows basically form a 90deg angle. DO NOT apply pressure to your wrists, your wrists SHOULD NOT press down on the table because that will compress your carpal tunnel and fuck it, use a palmrest and support your hand with your PALM and not wrist, similarly if your chair and armrests are adjusted to the correct height you should be able to support your hand on your mouse through your elbow/forearm and the wrist should not be pressing on the mousepad.

Sounds like you didn't really have proper posture to begin with though, so now that you're fucked you should most definitely see a doctor. Not using a mouse/keyboard for a while also sounds like a common sense course of action for now.

You can't totally fix tendonitis, it's just rough. But working through it isn't How You fix

How is a trackpad for this kind of thing? Better or worse than a mouse? I don't like vertical nice and trackballs look like a hassle...

>fix

You can't fix. You just work until you retire or die.

>right thumb hurted a lot
>healed but now whenever I move my thumb a lot the bones crack and it feels fatigued after more then three hour of work
Let's hope there's a cure for this garbage

Op you have thoracic outlet syndrome easy fix just get some massage and do shoulder and upper back strengthening exercises

>How is a trackpad for this kind of thing
Depends on the trackpad.
I found wacom tablet to be very helpful.

For a while the top of my right hand has been hurting. It's not bad but it's constant. Probably just tendinitis but should I be worried?

thanks for all the replies, I will try to keep my pc usage low and will look into these arm braces. of course I want to fix it as much as possible instead of just going full "fuck my shit up".

What exactly does that band thing do? How does it help?

naproxen sodium has always worked much better than ibuprofen for me, also good posture and a wrist rest can help prevent symptoms from getting worse.
t.rhythm game autist.

If you sit for more than hour doign computer work, you are gonna die 45% faster than everyone else. All it take is a 30 minute break, some stretches, a walk, and perhaps some fresh air.

it keeps your shit relatively still

If you have an idea what's causing it just back off from doing that for a few weeks.

This thread scares me a bit, I play classical guitar and program a lot so my wrists are important to me. I don't have any problems yet but I wanna do preventive execices and stuff, do you guys have any?

I haven't had those exact symptoms, but I get wrist pains from typing for a long time.

I got standing desk. Just standing for at least a quarter of the day to straighten out my posture pretty much got rid of all of my pains.

Fresh air every hour, I'd rather die.

youtu.be/3DR9fAQuOK8

Here you go buddy, this might help