NFS Alternatives besides Samba

tl;dr: NFS is shit, are there other network file systems besides CIFS/samba?

OK guys, I'm finally done with NFS and seriously looking for an alternative.

After being frustrated with full system freezes on machines with active NFS mounts and imperfect network connections (read: WiFi), I tried migrating a desktop+laptop system to a docking-station laptop-only one today.
As NFS (in contrast to CIFS) is incapable of moving to different network interfaces without remounting, it seems impossible to seamlessly switch from a slow wifi connection so fast ethernet when docking in. WTF? It's 2017!

The shares are organized in a single subtree (→ one NFS mountpoint), permissions are inferred from filesystem/user permissions on all clients. Users don't have root on their machines, so this is fine security wise.
However, it seems impossible to move this setup to CIFS, as the mounting user will determine the permissions for the full subtree on a client.

Are there any recommendations for modern NFS alternatives that support uid-based authentification and are somewhat useable on a laptop?

>as the mounting user will determine the permissions for the full subtree on a client
When you know nothing about security.

>When you know nothing about security.

Please elaborate.
Afaik it is not possible to have a single CIFS-mountpoint on a client machine which multiple users are accessing using their own credentials.
I would be most interested in a link proofing this statement wrong (and thereby solving my problem).

SFTP

sshfs

permissions are preserved unless you're overriding them with mount options

use a user space client if your file manager has it, the performance will be ass but it won't lock up

>SFTP
>sshfs

Both use static tcp connections. OP will have the same problems as with NFS.

I think there's no solution, Linux sucks ass on desktop machines.

>permissions are preserved unless you're overriding them with mount options

This will however only work for read access, as the samba server won't even know what user is doing stuff on the client,

>use a user space client if your file manager has it, the performance will be ass but it won't lock up

Performance is an issue, as all stations are merely diskless. All user data lives in the network.

>Performance is an issue
then don't use wifi, problem solved

>don't use wifi

People working on laptops have to use Wifi, espacially in conference rooms/during presentations etc.

this is obviously a neet on mom's wifi thread

>diskless

This is specifically where NFS excels. What's your problem with it besides ignorance/incompetence?

>ll system freezes on machines with active NFS mounts and imperfect network connections

>DIDN'T READ THE MANUAL NEARLY 2018

NFS soft mount. But in this case NFS isn't the correct tool as it's designed specifically for a semi-permanent connection. SSHFS is the best go fuck yourself stupid.

sshfs has ass performance and umounts itself when the underlying ssh connection drops even with all the timeout and reconnect options, ssh is just inherently shit at roaming

Tell me how you switch network interfaces (different IPs) for a NFS share without remounting.

iSCSI

I think it is you who is shit. Read the fucking manual.

How's he not right? Tho my knowledge, ssh depends on a single, stable tcp connection.

That is NOT the scenario to use diskless. Use AFS.

Stupid cunt detected.

not an argument, neet

To share a same disk across multiple clients?

Let me address the main issue here
>diskless systems
>over wifi

I was imprecise, desktop systems are diskless (and connected over ethernet).
Laptops do have a small SSD for the OS and persisting user-selected data that has to be available offline.

IPFS?

AFS was specifically designed for this usage. NFS was not.

systemd-automount networkmanager dispatch will fix your problems.

How does AFS deal with connections of the the same client using different IPs? (technically)

Well, it will require closing all open files, which is not ideal.

Just configure your NFS v4 properly, it shouldn't be tied to specific interfaces. Or maybe auto remount.

Why don't you READ THE FUCKING MANUAL.

nigger way is tweak your sysctl not to hang for 5 minutes and write an ifupdown or dispatcher.d script to detect the interface going down and lazy umount/mount it again

there does also exist a kernel patch to lower the hardcoded timeout in the garbage that is cifs

Webdav rocks!