Slavic languages can be understood by various slavic nations and percepted with varying degree of comprehension...

Slavic languages can be understood by various slavic nations and percepted with varying degree of comprehension. Russians understand the general idea of sentences in Ukrainian/Slovenian/Slovak/Serbian/etc. and even Polish if it's written.

Do scandinavians have the same degree of mutual understanding?

How do Danish/Swedish/Norwegian compare? Would a Swede understand the general idea if a Dane speaks to him?

How does Icelandic compare?

And I know Finnish has no ties with the rest.

Other urls found in this thread:

pagef30.com/2008/09/similarities-between-old-english-anglo.html
vocaroo.com/i/s11sh9JiMlrW
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Written norwegian is copy of Danish but Danes cant pronounce for shit

Yes for norwegian and danish, icelandic in text but not really spoken. Varies from person to person depending on how much exposure they have, I generally speak swedish with norwegians and danes and if a word comes up that either party does not know I just say the english translation. Many words in norwegian sounds like old-timey swedish to me.

norwegian and danish sound like swedish spoken by a person with a very very strong accent and downs syndrome

There is a lot of mutual intelligibility and especially if written. Icelandic and faroese have next to no intelligibility though.

>Finnish has no ties with the rest

Belive it for of memes or not, Swedish is our closest language after Estonian.

>Believe it because of the memes*

>ukrainian

no such language

I understand norwegian and swedish, as long as they don't talk too fast. But fuck me, people from Skåne sounds like danish people that are drunk as fuck.
Danish is a trash language though.

>Swedish is our closest language after Estonian.

Why are you trying to betray us Pekka?

t. Cai-Göran

>How do Danish/Swedish/Norwegian compare?
Swedish Norweigan - easy
Swedish Danish - harder
This is when spoken. Reading the other languages are easy.

Norwegian is swedish written in danish

All other Nordic languages (except Faroese) sound like really dumbed down/simplified versions of my language
Like someone thought my language was too hard to learn so they created one that for retards and people with downsyndrome that anyone can understand and learn.
Swedish sounds sing-songy gay to Icelandics
Danish sounds horrible, like they wanted to be German but tried to exaggerate as much as they could, but wen't full retard into Dutch territory.
Norwegian is basically just Danish 1.5 but it sounds like something an actual normal human being would speak.
Faroese sounds like drunk/slurred Icelandic with Danish words thrown in.

>one that for
one for*

Also should have mentioned that they're all basically the same shit, but with different accents.

>tfw all nordic languages save for yours are just glorified dialects of the same root

I don't really think fingolian counts as a nordic language

Finnish is the major language in Finland and Finland is a nordick country.

Only by proxy of connection through Swecuckden
Kind of like Iceland and Sweden are "cousin nations" via Denmark/Norway even though Iceland and Sweden literally had no contact or foreign relations with each other for over a thousand years untill after WW2.

>Faroese sounds like drunk/slurred Icelandic with Danish words thrown in.

To me, Icelandic sounds like someone speaking Faroese sped up and with half their tongue cut off.
Other than that, yeah, Danish sounds completely stupid and borderline chidish compared to Norwegian and Swedish. Trying to pronounce the soft Ds is horrible if you aren't completely used to it.

Yeah, because of borrowings and that kind of shit.

In that case closest language to English is French.

>and even Polish if it's written
desu Polish language is far more easier for me than Slovenian/Serbian.

>desu
Kek, I just found out that Sup Forums changes "desu" with desu. Desu!

this is good bait

>being this fucking new....
Idź, kurwa, w pizdu jebana nowocioto.

He means the Polish dialect spoken in the Russified areas of eastern Poland.

is ukrainian a made up language during the sovietic time or it's an old language. ?

Technically all natural languages are of the same age. What exactly do you need to conciser it 'old'? Archaicness? Long literary tradition? Formal recognition as a language and not a dialect?

Peasant dialect. If all of scandis get own language dont see why hohols cant

i'm starting to learn russian and on some site have ukrainian lesson too, i always thought they speaks russian but it seems that they have their own language. Looks like's it's was made up during the sovietic time and artificially create, am i wrong ?

>Looks like's it's was made up during the sovietic time and artificially create

t. Sup Forums linguist pro. You can't even speak English properly

A nord checking in.
>Many words in norwegian sounds like old-timey swedish to me
Same thing with Finnish.

Yeah man, i mean no harm, but english is closer to your mother tongue (if it's french ofc) and you're not really good in it. You'd strugle with russian cases and word order.

Fuck off you russiaboo faggot, grow a spine, ukrainian language is older than """""russian"""" which consists of English,Ukrainian,and french

yes french is my mother tongue but for my defense all my english teacher were terible, only the last one was decent. One was a drunk, always absent and another an arab that come to work only 3 month and left. I learn with tv shows. Anyway i always was attract to russian, i just love the sounds and the site are in french so i don't need english to learn.

>a nord checking in

You're Estonian Swedish?

Yeah. Russian segment of the Internet is the second biggest that's why not many of Russians know English very well. You can drop your kik account or skype so we can talk in Russian after you know it or i can help you with studying if needed.

Ukrainiens ethniques parlent deux langues et demi: ukrainien, russe et sourjik/surzhyk, un mélange de UA+RU. Mais NON, l'ukrainien n'est pa de l'époque soviétique, la relation est comme entre, disons, français et italien, ou italien et espagnol.

A propos de leçons: il y a un bon manuel pour l'ukrainien en français, «L'Ukrainien Parlé». Il pourrait t'aider même si tu veux apprende le russe.

I thought Ukrainian and Russian were nearly identical, more like dialect than different languages. Are they really so different that you can't immediately understand it?

The best way to describe English without talking for 10 hours is that it's mostly German grammar with a lot of French vocabulary thrown in.

AFAIK you can somewhat understand one with the other in a pinch, and their grammars' "inner gears" are the same, but the difference is quite obvious. Also, they're considered different languages regardless of the above because both refer to different standards. (Even the alphabet version they use is different.)

And a bunch of exotic shit made in the British Ilands. (Like dumping all cases but genitive/possessive.)

English doesn't even touch German grammar, try again Amerifat.

Closest languages to English would be Dutch and Afrikaans in terms of grammar.

We don't use different alphabet to Ukraine. They just have additional letters so as we. Same as Swedish has öäå and Danish doesn't.

Are Dutch and German really that different in terms of grammar? I speak a little German but absolutely no Dutch. I've heard they're very similar though

I was just looking for a comparison of old English (Saxon) and modern German and came across this. I didn't realize Icelandic was so similar to Saxon too.

pagef30.com/2008/09/similarities-between-old-english-anglo.html

I've heard Russian is really weird with how words are spelled and pronounced, that there are a lot of exceptions to the rules and whatnot. Sort of like how French uses the same alphabet as English but has such wildly different pronunciation and so many exceptions to how letters are pronounced.

As I said, alphabet "version". Swedes and Danes use two different versions of the Latin alphabet indeed.

From the top of my head, I think the main differences are Ukrainian with Ґ,Є,I and Ï while Russian uses Ъ, Ы and Э. However they hint phonological differences, specially Ґ.

Well, since Icelandic is conservative, it'll look a lot like languages outside the Northern branch of Germanic languages.

Norwegian is the uguu kawaii variant of Swedish. ^__^ With random english words thrown in just like the japs do.

Danish sounds like you're perpetually drunk and with the dentist's hands inside your mouth.

Icelandic is... I TOLD YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM METH, oh god what the hell should I do with you?

That's the biggest problem yeah. I mean exceptions. As a fluent speaker i can't say why it should be "that way" instead of "this way" it's just a rule and sometimes it's really stupid. We should get rid of Ъ, Ё letters and we should simplify our grammar. And about pronunciation, i really like it. Stereotypcially Russians speak with the accent but it's not always like that and in our turn we can pronounce almost all sounds we don't have, without any struggle. You for example wouldn't be able to pronounce Ы.

>he unironically wants to get rid of the Mickëy Mousë lëttër

>Cuckmansdottir thinking his language is complex
cute

vocaroo.com/i/s11sh9JiMlrW

Here's how i would read your message and the Ы sound in the end. I bet you wouldn't guess me russian by my accent.

they are the same m8

It seems like you know some in Russian so you should find that words like ёж йoд ёлкa кoйoт has no rule of using "jo" or "ö" sounds. It should be simplified.

Denmark is Dutch clay

>tfw you will never be danish

What are? Swedish uses Latin so as Danish but you have your own version of sounds öä compared to æo. Same as in Rus-Ukr case.

they are the same letters

Ah, c'mon, it's a fun letter in an alphabet with barely any diacritic.

On a more serious matter: one could go a step further and remove all the palatalization letters, replacing them with ЙA/ЙE/etc. It's a bit messy though.

t. Hans Bjårk

basically ö = o and ä = ae

>You can drop your kik account or skype so we can talk in Russian after you know it or i can help you with studying if needed.

unfortunetaly i have none of this and you may wait a long time before i can properly speak russian but thank you friend, this is very nice.

>«L'Ukrainien Parlé»
je regardais ça.
Pour l'ukrainien franchement je préfère me concentrer d'abord sur le russe et puis jeter un coup d’œils dessus plus tard, je savais pas que ce pays avait son propre dialecte/langue, j'ai lu quelque part que c’était une langue artificielle crée a l’époque soviétique mais il semble que non. Meric des infos

never mind im retarded IGNORE THIS

Hej kille, jag kan svenska en lite grand. Som jag sa ö är crossed o in danish by how it sounds men du använder olika ABC's.

okay

yes i apologize please dont hurt me i meant no harm

I'll bite: even if unrelated, languages that lived long enough side-to-side end sharing some features, this is known as a Sprachbund. So it's quite possible some Finnish speakers see proximity to Swedish language based on common features.
[This is just a guess, though. I do not know about the two languages.]

>je préfère me concentrer d'abord sur le russe et puis jeter un coup d’œils dessus plus tard
Je comprends... pêh ukrainien n'est pas utile de vrai, c'est seulement une langue interessante.

>Merci des infos
De rien mec.

desu baka cuck senpai

Take your Fennoswedish lies somewhere else.

This
That is because Finland was eastern Sweden for 500 years or so

Those are some harsh words coming from Eastern-Sweden