Currency Collection Thread

Post your currency, native or foreign.

For the main portion (the rows), I have Euro designs from Spain, France, Ireland, Germany, Latvia, Italy, Belgium, Slovakia, Greece, and Portugal.

To the side, we have Swiss Francs and Russian Rubles.

I found a punt before

i found a swiss franc

I've got an old Irish punt note

An Irish Punt? I have a full set of British pounds, both the shield set and the one previous to that.

Yeah, found it in my garden.

The Irish Euro coins are semi-meh. All the same, just with the harp

Damn. Pics?

Opposite side

Yeah, they are.

I've a few lying around.

I lost it somewhere in my house. This is what it looks like though

Cool thread. Sadly I can't post my collection so I just show the recent stuff I've bought.

Do you have old pesetas?

Nice note in an excellent condition. Did you save it before the euro?

I'm greatly fascinated by the pre-Euro currencies.

Where are those from? And no, I'm a Brit in Spain.

Did I save it?
Nope, I bought it from a collector for €5 a few years ago.
I had one prior to it that I had saved, but I lost it somewhere in the house and wanted to replace it.

Aye, I am myself. I've a few francs around, no notes. Also have a silver half crown from the 60s laying about somewhere. Possibly in a cup in the presses.

On vacation? Then do you have old british currency like pre-decimal stuff?

From left to right: Netherlands, Canada, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Curacao, Ukraine, Bolivia
Second row, A token, Costa Rica, France Yugoslavia, Bolivia, Denmark, Italia, Brazil

That's a shame, but at least you got yourself a brand new one.
And how about old Irish coins, do you have some?

Vacation, yes. I've only been collecting for two weeks, and my current goal is to collect all the Euro designs in circulation, but without buying online. At home, I have two British sets, a 1965 Churchill shilling coin and a Cuban one.

loads of them desu

For my Irish Euro set, I need only 2 cents, 50 cents, and the 2 Euro for a full Irish set.

tfw I have what you need

Just gonna dump what currencies I have

It's easy at first, but it turns kind of difficult when looking for the rarest countries.
Andorrian euros are be the hardest to find without resorting to buy them.
How about British commemorative coins? Aren't you interested in those?

Nice stuff. Irish coins aren't too easy to find them over here. I got myself these coins and recently I bought that cooper coin on the left.
Do you know what it says?

Trying to get them wild, as it were. Will give me an excuse to go to Monaco, San Marino, Vatican and Andorra.

Which coin?
Have you already posted it?

Coins here are way too common, they're in every house, every nook and cranny,

Yes, I'm interested in those, but I haven't been into coins long. I'll probably spend a fiver on the Queen's 90th £5, as well as some folders for storage.

And yes, Andorra has the least minted. I'll go directly to source for those. All of the ones that I have in the OP are from time in Spain.

Fug, forgot pic

ah yes, saorstát éireann
It says 'Irish Free state"

leath choróin
Half crown

Flóirín
florin (just the name of a coin, like crown etc,)

What's the Arabic one?

Plebs

They're pretty nice.

Moroccan dirham

I took too photos, one of poor quality and one of good. Of course I uploaded the bad one.

That's why I bought it. Every coin said 'Eire' on the back except for this one.
I think it's a half Pingin.

Everybody was complying that all the set Andorra had for sale went to resellers hands very fast. Still you can find them in circulation if you go directly to Andorra.
I can't say the same for the Vatican, I think those are sold only on sets.
Also, save some current 1 pound coin and 5 pounds note before they change them.

Aren't those supposed to be kept within the country?

Vatican coins are in circulation, apparently there are like four sets in circulation around Rome.

These are my Olympic coins

Who knows?
I've 20 dirham here in dublin

I believe the San Marino coins are more likely to circulate in Italy than the Vatican ones.
Now that you are in Spain, are you going to travel to Andorra too?

The one I really want to have is the Olympic mascot coin. But I think the Brazilian post are having troubles with coins

My dad went on business not long ago and said he was told that dirham isn't allowed outside Morocco.

Mhm, but if I go to the Vatican, then I'd spend some money in shops and banks, so as to get them from source as change.

And I'm closer to Gibraltar, so I'm going to go for the a set of Gibraltarian coins when I go.

Did I break the law?
Whoops.

Probably, but they're lax about it.

I also have some Moroccan coins, so I don't know how if they are too hard on taking out some currency.

Gibraltar? Pretty nice. It's a rare country for collectors, I've seen some of those coins go for much more than its face value.
Save some doubles.
Also are you going to collect only from countries you've been?

Are you the user from that other thread?

I remember you asked me to post an Imperial coin, here it is. Sorry for low pic quality .

That's a nice Gulden you've got there.

Yeah, I'm the same.
The coin looks gorgeous, looks in pretty good shape.
You know it's silver, right?
Thanks for the pic

I'm collecting only from coins I find 'wild'. So, anything beyond buying them online is legit. And yeah, I'll get a set for keeps, and a few sets for sales.

Sounds like some made up bullshit to confiscate money from tourists.

Thanks, it's in pretty good shape so I'll probably save it aside.

Actually I've never bought coins online, only from local flea markets.
How about exchanging coins with other collectors?

Certainly allowed. I only prohibit buying online because it feels false. It's as if this is a huge game of Pokemon, in which there is an option to just buy the ones you want. Takes the fun out of it for me.

By the way, one of my favourite concepts is the diffusion of foreign Euros into the Eurozone.

If you put it like that it's kind of cheating. Although I've never spent too much on one coin.
If you are not against exchanging save one Gibraltar set when you go there :^)

Will do. I'll probably save three or four, honestly, including one for personal use. Do you store yours in a particular way? I bought a book, with little clear plastic slots for the coins to go in, and space at the top for writing the country name.

Most of my coins I put them on this box, but the rare coins or shiny ones I store them in coin holders like this one on the right

This is what I found in my pocket

Impressive. How long have you been collecting?

Latin American coins are always really nice silver.

I started like 15 years ago, when my father came from Europe with a bunch of coins.
But I've been actively collecting, buying and swapping coins and notes, since 2 years. I always found new stuff for my collection or the doubles stuff.

Consider me jealous of that one balboa. The ones I've seen over here are sold for like 4 or 6 USD

Then I guess my journey begins here. Not bad going for two weeks.

JAJAJAJA OMG 4 or 6 USD, that's a scam. Maybe is because is "new" and the government don't make that many, because we already have the Gringo Dolares.

I know, they are actually kind of rare over here. People are willing to pay those prices but I prefer waiting until I can find it for its actual value.

Sure, you have a pretty nice collection going on for only being on this for two weeks.

Do you guys collect US state quarters?

How about Euro coins?