What happened to NYC that made it the worst city in America in the 70s?

What happened to NYC that made it the worst city in America in the 70s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O0TOd2jDNvU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westley_Allan_Dodd
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hedonism and crime

Crime and complete lack of safety in general

*best

I think that's around the time a lot of white families moved out to the suburbs, and previously in the 60s the great migration of blacks from the south. There were a lot of other immigrant groups here as well, Slavic and middle Europeans caused many problems. But the prolish bravely kicked the other swines out, making greenpoint beautiful and safe in the 2000s. God I love Poland.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit, Cleveland were surely worse among large cities. If we count small cities, thousands of worse places like Portsmouth, VA, New Haven, CT, Gary, ID.

De-industrialization, white flight, crime. Same as every other major city in the 70's

>in the 60s the great migration of blacks from the south.

The great migration was at the turn of the century m8.

>white people, money, and jobs all bled out of the city from the 1950s onward
>low wage jobs got outsourced to East Asia and Southern Europe
>LBJ started nigger gibesmedat
>the Sexual Revolution led to Time Square being filled with adult entertainment businesses
>bad 70s economy
>large youth population b/c baby boom, which led to increased crime
>there was no death penalty in 1972-76

And that about covers everything.

The 1960s and 1970s were dangerous times in the US in general. Oddly enough, it also involved the most lenient criminal punishments in the 20th century US. What's up for debate is how the decline of crime came to be; some say it's because of the lead in Gas has been illegal since the 1990s, others say that abortion allowed for unwanted babies to not be born and thus be a drain on society, still others say the subsequently harsher sentencing kept undesirables locked up.

It was a combination of a large youth population, soft justice system, and ultimately the social changes of the '60s took a while for the country to digest, not until the 90s had we completely adjusted to them.

Indeed

TI

AWS
W
S

GINGERS
I
N
G
E
R
S

youtube.com/watch?v=O0TOd2jDNvU

You forgot fucked up practices of absentee landowners that led to housing turning into decrepit messes.

Yes, slumlords burning down their apartment buildings because it would be more lucrative to collect the insurance on them than the rent.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westley_Allan_Dodd

It's astounding just how much this guy got away with. This is what happened in those days.

>admits to police that he's molested kids on numerous occasions
>they're all like "LOLIdunno. Just don't do it again."
>gets repeated cupcake sentences and like a week in jail and stuff like that
>finally three boys had to die before he met the rope

Stripping the place down to the barebones.
Also the constant jumping of rent prices but no maintenance which led to more poverty and shittier buildings because there was no pressure on the landlord losing money because housing was always in demand so he'll always get a tenant.

70s America sound like today's Yurop: white flight, soft justice system, etc.

So obviously we're a shithole with beautiful buildings.

They say Millenials have lower rates of crime that boomers or Gen Xers did in their teens/20s. This can be explained by tougher sentencing and the increased difficulty of getting away with crime due to today's technology. Also technology may mean that young people today simply have more stuff to do while in the 70s, burglarizing a house or starting a fire was something you did when you were bored.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala
>Go to Prison in LA twice
>Second time allowed to go to NYC, commit a murder
>Go back, commit some murders in Cali
>Convicted and sentenced to death twice, but both convictions overturned
>Convicted and sentenced to death a third, remaining on Death Row to this day

This is the dumbest post on Sup Forums today.
Well done.

The same things that happened to other cities throughout the northeast except on a much larger scale.

And the Midwest. Basically, the entire Rust Belt.

I'm no expert, but probably niggers.

Eh, you weren't doing that great in the 70s either.

>Iris: God, you're square.
Travis Bickle: Hey, I'm not square, you're the one that's square. You're full of shit, man. What are you talking about? You walk out with those fuckin' creeps and low-lifes and degenerates out on the streets and you sell your little pussy for peanuts? For some low-life pimp who stands in the hall? And I'm square? You're the one that's square, man. I don't go screwing fuck with a bunch of killers and junkies like you do. You call that bein' hip? What world are you from

Not the 70's, but in the 80's the crack cocaine epidemic hit and NYC become a hellzone