Russian geography

Can someone give me an idea of how Russia differences geologically from place to place?
I know the north is cold as fuck, so is the rest of siberia. Are there any warm, beachy places, like somewhere near the black sea that'd be nice?
Lake Baikal seems pretty nice, what's it like to live there? Vladivostok?

Where's the best place to live in Russia?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ejba-nErYoo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oymyakon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Best place to live is probably St Petersburg. Also Vladivostok is very European despite being in the far East.

youtube.com/watch?v=ejba-nErYoo

Sochi is pretty warm. Which was a problem at the olympics case the snow was always melting.

Its kind of like a resort city.

And Siberia isnt necessary all that cold. Like a placd like Tomsk will be hellish in Winter but Novosibirsk is as cold as your average Canadian city really.

vladivostok is like +20c average in summer, -10c average in winter despite being on the same latitude as southern france, the north to it it's slowly getting colder but still is relatively mild

deep into the continent it's very hot summers and very cold winters i.e. a typical continental climate

around black sea it's almost like in turkey i.e. hot summers and mild winters

Vladivostok is filled with Chinese from across the borders these days, although locals still tend to be russian

no it is not

Where do you live?
Where would you say is the best place in Russia if your really don't like cold?
How corrupt is Russia? How difficult would it be opening a business there?

At least temperature-wise, the record coldest temperature of Provideniya is the same as the record coldest in Chicago, 2bh. Though the averages are pretty cool in the Winter, close to around 0F.

the coldest place in russia isn't on chukotka, it's village omyakon which is situated mid-siberia

>In 1924 a temperature of −71.2 °C (−96 °F) was recorded in Oymyakon. That is the lowest temperature ever recorded in a habitat center.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oymyakon

I am aware of that, I was just talking about extremities. And damn, that is pretty chilly.

100% corrupt
Difficult to open business ~1,5 years of paper work.
And most likely it will fail. If not - raiders will took away your business.

Russia and the US are basically the same geographically wise.

>Soviet Union

He's not completely wrong, though.

I've thought about it like this before too

Except "the core" for the US anyway isn't true. Well not anymore at least. Traditionally yes you could make the claim that that was "the core" land as that's where all the big cities are and the capital, and like 90% of industry. But now it's spread out everywhere.

Shouldn't Russian "heartland" be part of mexistan? That's where the tartars are right?

This map pisses me off beyond belief

What's so bad about it?

Unlike most Russians, I have actually been pretty much everywhere in the country, St. Petersburg to Vladivostok and Murmansk to the Caucasus. So I think I can share some of my observations.

>Are there any warm, beachy places, like somewhere near the black sea that'd be nice?
Yes, that's the only Russian region with a bearable climate (subtropical, even). Doesn't mean that it doesn't get cold in the winter though, and when it does, the Krasnodar's -5 C worse than Siberian -20 due to high humidity, but still, the Russian South is probably the best place in the country, climate-wise. This doesn't mean it's best in other regards: all the climate benefits are compensated by the proximity to the Caucasus.

>Lake Baikal seems pretty nice, what's it like to live there?
It's a very beautiful place, but apart from a few touristy places on the western shores of the lake, the rest are piss-poor industrial and fishing towns and villages with not much life going on. When I visited Baikal, I had a misfortune to stay in the town of Slyudyanka, and even though my hosts were very hospitable people (though America-tier religious, and this is one of the differences between Siberia and central Russia), I had hard time trying to find at least one cafe or diner open on a weekday afternoon.

>Vladivostok?
One of the most beautiful cities in Russia, I'd even say the most beautiful (but St. Pete is probably better, but its beauty is of a whole different sort). I'm even thinking of moving there, maybe not for good, but it'd be nice to live there for a year or two. Also, I've never seen stronger patriots of their hometown than the Vladivostok people: I think every second person from Vladivostok I had a chance to chat with told me that they couldn't imagine living in a place without sea, without their famous steep hills and streets going up and down and spiral-wise and traffic jams, and Chinese fastfood, and Japanese cars, and traffic jams.

>Tomsk will be hellish in Winter but Novosibirsk is as cold as your average Canadian city really.
Wot? They are just 205km apart, there's no big difference in weather.

>Where do you live?

Tomsk.

>Where would you say is the best place in Russia if your really don't like cold?

Black Sea coast cities like Rostov on Don, Novorossiysk and Krasnodar.

>How corrupt is Russia?

The more high-ranked official, the more corrupt he is.

>How difficult would it be opening a business there?

Extremely difficult, Russia is not a business-friendly country.

Not really, there are more Chinese in Blagoveshensk than in Vladivostok.

>Tomsk will be hellish in Winter but Novosibirsk is as cold as your average Canadian city really

There's abolutely no difference between Tomsk and Novosib (which is just more humid and rainy in summer) in terms of climate, these towns have the same temperatures -55°C minimum and -3.5°C average for Tomsk, -52°C minimum and -3.2°C average for Novosibirsk.

t. lived in both

Depends on the size of the business. It's very easy to open a legal entity that allows you to have a small business (with turnover up to 20kk roubles) or work as a freelancer, and taxes are very low for such small businesses, but it's virtually impossible to sustain a larger business without connections or protection from authorities.

Also, it largely depends on the region. There are regions where local businesspeople are cherished and protected (like, say, Tatarstan) or ones when authorities suck their blood and choke them to death like there's no tomorrow.

>I know the north is cold as fuck, so is the rest of siberia.
There is continental climate in Siberia. +40 at summer and -40 at winter.

fuck off we're full

>Where do you live?
Moscow.
>Where would you say is the best place in Russia if your really don't like cold?
You can go south and trade nice climate to muslim shithole.
t. Saint Petersburg
Big cities have central heating so cold winters is countered somehow.
>How corrupt is Russia?
It is corrupted on all levels. From requests of ordinary citizens
to high level capitalists bribing local officials to expand their enterprises.
Insane. If it is small it likely dies and nobody cares about it or help you.
If it is large state will own and capture it anyway. Also extreme bureaucratization,
you will be forced to write a paper each time you go to the shitter.

why don't you sleep Moscow?

St. Petersburg is a shit hole last I checked.
It took the hit after the revolution, and never really recovered.
It's there that I hear stories of parentless kids living in abandoned buildings, and selling themselves for whatever they can get. All while developing a habit for smoking.

So what are you looking for, exactly? Throw in some definition or an example of a good place to live. Russia is diverse as fuck, choose whatever, from a hut in the middle of frozen nowhere to commieblocks to pseudo-european towns.