CMD vs PowerShell

If you're on Windows, do you use CMD or PowerShell and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Script_Host
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Neither, because I'm on Windows.

this

cmd if you want your stuff to start fast and basically just call a process
PowerShell if you don't care about startup times and want a shitty Bash/.Net/OLE 4.0 mix
Makes sense.

CMD. PS is garbage and starts slow even on a fucking SSD.

It depends on my usage case.

I am on an SSD and I don't see a noticable difference in startup time but perhaps CMD is indeed faster when called through e.g. Java.

You forgot bash.

>SSD
only matters the first time you load the program
stop falling for the ssd meme

cmd for only the simplest stuff, otherwise PS all the way. Having objects in the command line is nice

Powershell is too slow.

I remembered trying to run some commands on powershell and they did not work. Turned out they *need* cmd to run. And here I thought powershell covers everything cmd does.

Poweshell obviously? Unless you're on windows XP or something, there's no logical argument for CMD. It's not even a fight.

I like openSSH integration into PS. Then again aside from remote management I only use them to check ip.

please elaborate.

Depends on what you're doing.
cmd to do some quick and easy things, PS for easy integrations with stuff like AD

Like this user mentioned

Cmd. Ps starts slow, even on a fresh install. Besides, I only ever use commands that work in cmd and bash.

cmd is configurable
ps isn't

Bash unironically

Depends on what i have to do
Not that it really matters since you can call one from the other

Why is this even a thread?

whatever helpful stack exchange snippet I find for a given problem

git-bash
Set path to its bin folder and you can ls, pwd, and ssh from cmd, too.

cmd or msys/git bash

cmder

Who the fuck uses CMD in 2018?

Both.

So I can continue to use my CMD command batch files and my PowerShell scripts to do my Windows sysadmin job.

I'll bet any money you've never heard of the forerunner to PowerShell, Windows Script Host.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Script_Host

INSTALL GENTOO

CMD just for quick commands, PS for actual scripting/task automation.
Shit on PS all you want but knowing it will make you stand out from the pack as an SA and pretty much mandatory if you do Puppet/Chef/Ansible with Windows clients.

install gentoo

this

I use CMD because it's just kinda quicker but I'm a SysAdmin and I use Powershell all the time, both as a CLI and a scripting language

CMD. I don't understand PowerShell.