Distro for school

I'm about to start my last semester of college and I want to see if I can use nothing but linux for my classes.

I only have a Thinkpad X61. What would be a good distro to use?

Debian 9 with XFCE.

Xubuntu. Install a good looking theme and you're set.

Or lubuntu for more wam

lubuntu will be the easiest to learn on your piece of shit laptop

then once you have the hang of it, puppy linux

DELET

The one I'm using.

Ubuntu is the best if you want a working station out of the box. Mint /Fedora /openSuze are also good choices for out of the box usage.
If you feel like '' hacking the world'' or edit conf file for endless time for fun, anything else, Debian and centOs are the basics. Geento /arch /alpin. The geeky one. I like alpin and install lubuntu for out of the box usage

Just get one of the *ubuntus, you don't want something too advanced that you have to configure shit during class.

Xfce is superior to LXDE. 50-100Mb more RAM is worth it.

/thread

Gentoo

Kubuntu if you have a new laptop with like 9 hr battery life, Parrot Linux or some Debian with something like MATE if you want better battery life.

As long as it can use a normie browser like Chrome or Firefox, any distro will do. Especially if your college is like mine and gives you a free copy of Office365.

I've never had a class that doesn't require you to have anything other than a browser except for this Chemistry class I had where the professor expected us to use tablets or laptops with touch screens to use OneNote.

I dropped his damn class cause I didn't feel like installing OneNote on my tablet and letting my school see all of my loli hentai. The damn app was a living botnet that gave it access to my files and other sensitive information.

>tfw the botnet wants me to drop out

Trisquel

windows

pop!_os

This is the only correct answer.

Xfce has always used less RAM than LXDE in my experience

debian + xfce or lxde
or i3 if you are familiar with it or want to learn a tiling wm, but i am guessing you are not because you need to ask this question

botnet 10 & Ubuntu or Fedora dualboot

it just werks

Why not centOS ?

Because almost nobody needs a server OS with bad modern hardware compatibility and outdated software.

>centos on a laptop
OP just install Lubuntu.

If you are a linux noob I would advise against it for your last year, as you would probably spend more time tinkering with stuff than doing assignments (I speak from experience) after that you can still use Linux all you want.

CentOS stands for "Community ENTerprise OS". It is a freeware clone of RHEL, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, a server-oriented version of Linux.

It is not intended for desktops or laptops.

windows 2000

This, Debian is the least autistic just works distro