Home server general - /hsg/

home server general - /hsg/

Are you interested in learning Linux administration and configuration better. Becoming a systemd expert? Or maybe you hate that shit and want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

Well come join /hsg/ thread and have a gay old time discussing it!

>news:
> EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (except raspberry pis, which are safe)

>chat
> discord.gg/9vZzCYz

How have these spectre and meltdown bugs affected your homeserver?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/IRC.md
pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#f=7,8&s=30&A=1
ltsp.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

install gentoo

wow EPIC meme! you must be a true oldfag!!!

ACTUALLY I would like to upgrade my RPI. Do you know any mini atx boards with passive cooling, low energy consumption etc? I would prefer ARM or AMD.

>chat
>discord
What are you even doing here?

maintaining homeservers

irc is the appropriate solution for communication on this board

install aol

do rack servers still sound like jet engines?

discord is less autistic

>chat
>discord
nigga fuck outta here, set up a /hsg/ channel on freenode irc instead of using the gaymen discord

>create an IRC
>nobody joins

>create a discord
>thriving community forms

hmmmm.... yeah we should definitely switch to IRC.

there are already lots of Sup Forums IRCs.

you cat -v spergs can just use a discord-irc bridge if you want to access the chat via your fd based IRC client.

>no one on irc join
>community forms on discord

proves that the only people willing to participate in a chat with op is tech illiterate kiddos that don't know how to irc.

Another benefit of discord is it filters out people like

like which?

you tardy mate?

Good for you, you stay on discord, seems like an appropriate platform for a brainlet like you. We wouldn't want you on irc.

okay :)

I know there are a lotta Sup Forums related channels, but wanted to know which you were referring too

I call it the drawer server!

too /comfy/. I like that a lot. Is it a pi 0? How is the speed?

I have been thinking about getting an rpi.. keep checking the prices on ebay and they're still expensive! it's annoying because I don't have much money to throw on it.

The black one is rpi 2B, the transparent one is rpi 0w.
>How is the speed?
Pi 0w is kind of slow, but I like having it around because it's small and has a builtin wifi.
Pi 2B is "fast", well I use it for my bots and stuff so it has enough power to run by bots without any hiccups

bots? what do they do?

I was really interested in the pi0 because of how tiny it was but if it's just too slow I might want to reconsider.

Good resouces and videos on home servers/ diy networking for the absolute tarded of plebs?

CBT Nuggets is pretty good but it's not free..

>bots? what do they do?
Idle steam trading cards
Archiving rss feeds
Archiving and hosting a local copy of the pirate bay
Backing up my phone every night at 3AM
Recording steams from MFC
Archiving some sites
I probably missed something, but you get the idea...

I also use it as a torrent box because it's on 24/7

holy shit that's some powerful stuff

Yeah, I bought it March 2016
No regrets

>
>discord is less autistic
they market themselves as a 'platform for gaymers'. How can it be less autistic if it's made for autismos?

They're too dumb to understand. Considering that discords ToS are as bad as windows 10's, they should probably remove themselves from this life

Yeah, it's almost like only a person a day posts on that discord

does anyone here use shinobi CCTV security camera thing?
Im switching from zoneminder and am having a hell of a time with this. When it runs its amazing, but it seems its just error after error.
At first it crashed every 5 minutes then out of nowhere its been running solid for days.

What Im dealing with now is getting it to run on boot. The docs say it uses pm2, and when I follow the commands "pm2 startup" the process fails claiming it cant read the pid file. Ive even tried chmod 777 on the pid file and the whole directory, nothing. I relocated the pid files contents to a new file in a new directory, still fails. This is on fedora btw, it was one of the suggested os in the docs for this thing.

This.

Posting some advanced IRC content github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/IRC.md
contains a guide on how to set ZNC from the ground up. Remember that IRC can have fileservers too!

Thanks for that guide. I set it up with the manpages, but this is so much more helpful

I'm finally getting fiber at home. Since my server (some old computer) finally died, I want to buy a server.

I'll be using it to back up all my shit, host a website, probably use it to stream music and video. I'll let some friends use it too to share music, movies etc.

What kind of hardware should I look at ? I was thinking of going with a zen+ cpu which seems to be ~$100. Since the mobos aren't expansive, power consumption isn't high, it seems to be a good idea. What's Sup Forums thought ?

switched to centos and it werks now, fedora is a shit.

np, there is so much to do with IRC and people dont know, like games, is all bots so I might start a guide for that

I'd highly appreciate it. Where will you post it if you decide to do something like that? My xmpp is [email protected]

Guys I'm at a loss here, I've had a surplus HP 417 access point, and just got around to picking up a PoE adaptor, only to find out my dumb ass didn't realize it needed a WLAN controller to set up, is there any software that I can run on a PC to act as a WLAN controller?

t. help desk retard

Can hsg provide some suggestions.

I have an as rock e350m (with 4gb ddr3 and an inbuilt AMD CPU at 1.6Ghz)

I want to use it as a file server - just for a samba share to my 2 windows PCs and TV - the drive hosts all our camera photos, phone backups and music.

I also want this server to run a proxy server and a network ad blocker.

At the moment I'm using a pi3 with squid, pihole and a samba share..

Its fairly slow opening the images on the drive - which is usb2 connected.

My question: should I just use the new PC to install Ubuntu (without a GUI) and squid and pihole.

Or is there a better distro, proxy, ad blocker configuration I should use?

hey /hsg/,
so I am tasked to decide on what storage server to get
I was gonna pull the trigger on a 15 or 30 drives storinator but
they only distribute it with intel,
which sucks cuz of the recent meltdown/spectre fiasco
are there any similar distributer with epyc on it?

>[email protected]
Spooky.

Still loving my FreeNAS build

i have this thing but it has only collected dust for years because i cant stand the noise of delta fans running at full speed.

why cant we just post here instead of going to closed groups managed by faggots that will ban anyone for no good reason?

that channel sucks. i got banned from it because some retarded halfop thought that i was someone else.

Why not both? Sometimes we want to share files among anons and also IRC works great for filesharing, is also a good place to meet new people.

Nice. Specs and purpose?

>all these shitboxes

this entire thread is full of plebs larping that their shitboxes are servers

most vendors have virtual controllers available.

>be inna server thread
>be to incompetent to run your own file server to server files to other anons. can only share them with irc

As much as I hate you Bixnood you're right. These server threads are babby trash.

fuck I want a job

shitbox here, really useful, is the real starting point for newbies

Are any of the 300000+ Xeon blade servers on ebay worth the money?
Should I wait for prices to settle down before picking one up?

Ah, the sweet sweet deafening sounds of your servers when the ac unit dies overnight.

What ThinkStation models should I look at for less than $400? Just gonna do NAS and Plex.

I'm glad you're still here.

You should assume prebuilt ones do, especially 1U ones. Most have thermally-controlled fans these days, but that's like putting a suppressor on a gun, it doesn't make them quiet, just less loud. If you get a bare 2/3/4U case and put your own parts in it, you can make it as quiet as you care to, though.

backup/NAS doesn't need much CPU power. Sharing media only does if you're doing transcoding, are you? Remember that how much you should care about power consumption is related to how much you pay for power, and pretty much everything has low idle power these days.

anything with a real SATA connection is going to be faster than an RPi's USB. Lots of distros will work, if you're comfortable with Ubuntu, then go ahead. Consider the LTS version.

no you don't, you want money. There's a difference.

almost certainly not. You need a (large and possibly costly) blade chassis to put them in, and they're even louder than regular rack servers.

Building a raspberry pi cluster so that I can have something to put on my fucking resume. I also have an e-book I tormented I’m gonna head to Discord

You can buy real servers for less than what you likely spent on your phone ~$200

If you really need a dozen servers and have a basement to put it in (because it will be loud as fuck) then sure go for it, but i really doubt you have either if you're asking this question

>and pretty much everything has low idle power these days.
pic related is mostly idle, except for a GTX 980 mining shit coins. When you get to 90 VMs "idle" becomes over 40+Ghz of used CPU capacity

It's just cock.li, user

>backup/NAS doesn't need much CPU power.
Yeah but ryzen doesn't have a big power consumption, and it isn't that expansive. Can I find something cheaper that consume less and isn't too shitty ?

Depending on how many streams you're transcoding with Plex, you really don't need that much.
I'm running my Plex server just fine on a g3258

>I'm running my Plex server just fine on a g3258
Try doing that with a 4K 120Mbps H265 stream and cant GPU offload. You need dual Xeons.

Absolutely, but this completely depends on what kind of streams user is doing.
If it's just 1080, you can go pretty low end. If it's 4K stuff... Dual Xeons are the way to go.

sameshit. Kill yourself, you dumb weeb trash.
Everytime I look at your pictures I'm about to throw up.

what home server i can buy that is Sup Forums approved for $200?

Search ebay for anything from SuperMicro which is 2U or 4U. In the motherboard, the higher the number which comes after the X, the newer it is. For that price it will probably all be X7 or X8 series boards. The reason you want supermicro is that they're white boxes and you can buy new motherboards as you get more shekels.

gas yourself weeb trash

Is FreeNAS the right choice for a home server data storage solution? If so, do I really need a server motherboard? Those are more expensive and require a Xeon processor, whereas a consumer motherboard is compatible with something like a G4600. This setup is cheaper to build and cheaper to run. If I'm just going to use it for cloud storage, torrenting and media streaming in my home, do I really need the extra power?

yes you want ECC. stop being poor, it isnt that much more expensive.

ECC is supported by a number of regular motherboards.
pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#f=7,8&s=30&A=1

They also allow me to use a cheaper CPU that draws less current. Is there another argument to use something like a supermicro motherboard?

>ECC is supported by a number of regular motherboards.
The memory controller hasnt been on the motherboard since forever. They've been

>They also allow me to use a cheaper CPU that draws less current.
That G4600 is a 51 watt chip. It isnt anywhere near low power. Almost all Xeon-d chips use less, and that ignores things like Pentium-D or Atom which support ECC as well.

If I understand my murrican friends correctly your power grid is trash, so you definitely want a UPS if you run a home server.

Also
>discord
neck yourself

yeah my fuse blows if I have the radiator and oven on at the same time. shuts my computers off it's horrible

if forgot they are no mods on Sup Forums

>Mfw my raspberry pi b 2 has worse specs than the 0w.

Brainlet here. Can someone tell me if there is something out there like this:
- the server hosts some per user environment
- I log in from Laptop over for instance ssh (Graphical environment would be nice but isn't really needed)
- the server gives me access to the environment for laptop-user independent of other users and base install
I imagine something like the per user configuration of nix os or some sort of VM (but maybe not a VM because I need the graphics card)

Its called Remote Desktop Services on Windows. Linux seems to have an alternative - ltsp.org although i'm guessing RDS is far more mature, and if you demand *NIX just wait till the next LTSB release of windows server so you can get the windows subsystem for linux with remote desktop services.

You can also pass through GPUs to VMs if you want to do that as well.

okay dumb spic

>When you get to 90 VMs "idle" becomes over 40+Ghz of used CPU capacity
Some guy who's asking "I wanna use this hardware for my first home server, is it good?" is hardly going to be running 90 VMs.

very dependent on what part of the country you're in. Rural areas that get rough weather pretty commonly have shaky power, larger metro areas are usually fine.

It's basically FreeBSD with a web interface for administering ZFS pools, file service, etc. If you want that its great, if you want to roll your own just install FreeBSD (Or the Linux of your choice, with ZoL) and set it up yourself.

You *want* ECC, but ZFS without ECC is going to be strictly better than no ZFS, with or without ECC. Its not hard to find if you're buying used server hardware. If you're just using spare consumer-grade parts that you have lying around, you won't get it, but its not that big a deal. Various snobs will claim its a huge deal, of course, and that theres no point in trying if you don't have it. Ignore these people.

I basically just want to rant about Ubuntu Server, I'm especially looking at you 17.10!

Is it just me or is Ubuntu really absolutely the worst? Every time I install a new Version, everything has changed and there is absolutely no documentation out there whatsoever. Just my recent experience, after upgrading my homeserver to Ubuntu Server 17.10:
>dm-crypt password at boot needs to be typed in US Layout, although I use the default installer to set it up with a different layout
>second luks partition can't have the encryption key on the encrypted root partition, because the systemd seems not capable of waiting for the first partition to be encrypted
>absolute confusion about which init system to use and where the folders are, finally find out it's systemd now. But no proper documentation for the current version can be found.
>none of the init scripts I have writing work at boot because the encrypted root partition is not ready at that moment

WTF? I guess I just use Arch Linux as a server from now on. At least there everything is documented and just works out of the box. I can't believe this shit. And yes I'm probably just a noob who has no clue, but that's mainly the reason I'm using Ubuntu.

Why 17.10? use a good LTS like 16.04.2

>good
I guess I just came from 16.04 and didn't want to install that old shit again. I had tons of problems with it as well and needed a newer kernel because of CPU locks and stuff. Server crashed at least once a month or so.

That's odd, what hardware are you using?

AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5
I guess it was a bug with lxd, encryption and heavy IO and CPU in parallel all day. I don't have the problem anymore with the new version, but I have other problems now. Mostly it's because I don't know the system that well yet, but it's just annoying that they changed the init system about 3 times in the last few years. And the documentation really is horrible. With arch linux I always find directly what I'm looking for. With ubuntu it's sometimes hours and hours of searching around in forums with deprecated information. Maybe I give centos a shot next time.

CentOS should be more stable, for sure. May I ask, what do you use your server for?

Well different things, but mostly the server is larping as Netflix and Cloud Backup for friends and family. Which means all day traffic (1gbit master race here), quickpar, unpacking, encrypting, encoding and stuff like that.

>arguing over discord or irc
>not using slack
What are you, fucking unemployed?

ECC makes builds significantly more expensive.

and basically doesn't do anything except for making everything slower.

Should I build a server rack or just a tower? I have 8x8 tb drives that I will be making into a Plex server.

Should I just create jails in freenas for web servers and openvpn for that stuff or have separate chassis for that? Assume computing power is satisfied.

I kinda want to have a smaller footprint / less power draw

What's a recommended SBC and Raid Controller for an NAS? I have an old terastation that I pulled the old motherboard out of.

Well normally a rack is only something you want if you have several computers or other pieces of equipment (network switches, for instance) that you want to keep organized. Eight drives is about the most you can fit in most non-rackmount desktop cases. If you anticipate more machines or want more drive bays than that, you might want a rack, if you don't, get an ordinary midtower case.

So, what the fuck are the point of these things, precisely? The best idea I can come up with is maybe using it to stream stuff from the server to the TV or summin'.

>oh nice I just made a server of my old desktop
>sees OP
>sees discord link
Welp, good riddance /hsg/