/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=BsZoAD4PnWA

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.co.uk/article/patek-philippes-aquanaut-travel-time-is-packed-with-innovation
forums.watchuseek.com/f9/thermocompensation-methods-movements-2087.html
monochrome-watches.com/the-first-automatic-chronograph-movement/
chronomaddox.com/why_i_like_5100.html
chronomaddox.com/nouvelle_lemania_5100.html
vintagewatchstraps.com/watchmovement.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Liek?

I like a lot of Seikos, but definitely hate this one.

Why?

What have you received recently wt?

Rolex is overpriced crap. don't ever get jewed into buying one. They don't offer anything in terms of tehnical innovation or horological artistry.

The proportions, the hands, the font of the numerals, etc.

what do you do to get money for watches?

>don't ever get jewed into buying one
Funny you should say this about what is arguably the most consistent brand on the planet in terms of value retention.

But how do I get a submariner if I don't buy a Rolex?

holy shit

Ah I see my work was appreciated. I actually had so many photos of important people wearing them i had to choose some funny ones just to make it seem more realistic.

Holy shit user

Holy fuck you have been memed too hard. Just because some autistic retards talk shit about the sides of rolex hands doesn't mean they are crap and they are priced exactly as they should be in the current market.

Unless you are actualy diving, you should not wear a submariner

I have 2 slav shitters in the mail.
that is fucking nice user good choice.

Aside from the hilariously incorrect crown and a small scratch on the dial, the condition is stunning. It definitely needs a service but it runs and keeps reasonable time. Absolutely ecstatic to have it in my collection.

Congrats. That's an amazing piece of horological history right there.

That's a pretty nice Poljot de luxe homage user, how much did you pay?

Ok, sperg

I paid a bit under 4k, which I think is probably a steal (and much less than I've seen other observatory Chronometers sell for). Here's hoping the service doesn't add too much

why do they use that horrid font?

So you're saying the crown is a fake?

I'm waiting on an old Agat chronograph at the moment.
This will probably decide whether I end up buying a chronograph wristwatch or not, because at the moment I'm really more into time-only watches.

Previous owner probably just knocked off the original, and apparently didn't care if their watchmaker slapped any old crown on that fit provided the color was correct.

On the certificate? It's a horrible choice but all I really care about are the numbers. Some jeweler in Germany has detailed records of neuchatel tests and sells the records.

The crown is definitely not original and is an aftermarket replacement by some service (not at all rate for a vintage watch but this crown is just hilariously oversized compared to what the original probably looked like - the aftermarket crown on my HF is probably closer to what the original liked like)

What other thin chronographs are there apart from the Rolex Daytona? Never wanted one until I saw it was under 13mm thick with a 72 hour power reserve.

Wait, Damaskos look like THIS?

pretty interesting read

wired.co.uk/article/patek-philippes-aquanaut-travel-time-is-packed-with-innovation

It better come with the in-house movement.
Also not sure how I like the colors.
I do love the new coin edge though, massively nicer than the widely-spaced block pattern they normally use.

Reaaaaal tempted by this. The bezel action runs on ceramic ball bearings, and is by all accounts the very best bezel action of ANY rotating bezel out there, including Rolex Subs.

Here are some interesting readings for anyone interested.
Thermocompensation in depth
>forums.watchuseek.com/f9/thermocompensation-methods-movements-2087.html
Race for first automatic chrono
>monochrome-watches.com/the-first-automatic-chronograph-movement/
Lemania 5100
>chronomaddox.com/why_i_like_5100.html
>chronomaddox.com/nouvelle_lemania_5100.html
Regulators
>vintagewatchstraps.com/watchmovement.php

Nice links

Casio f-91w

I make €44k after taxes, pay €2.5k per month in expenses like home payments and food.

I upgrade my technology almost every year so I have a recent iPhone, Macbook Pro, 27" 4k monitor etc all paid for in cash.

Should I buy a Rolex?

Family heirloom Omega solid 18k gold case and bracelet from the early 90s.

I am planning to get it restored; probably the movement is a bit fucked since the watch was last time used as far as i know back in 2005.

Thoughts?

Dont Quartz last forever though?

It's only 6+ months of disposable income for you, you can afford it

No. Also, stop upgrading your tech.

I'd scrap the bracelet and put it on a nice crocodile strap.

Movement is probably fine if it is quartz. I agree with the other user to scrap the bracelet and put it on leather

The battery has to be inside. Will need at least some cleaning.

are you a lady?

I’m a pretty lady

No, the original owner was. And Im probably lending it to a lady for special events use.

I don't give a shit about your money situation, but yeah you should buy a Rolex they're good. Personally I didn't want any of the maxicase shit they have now so I bought used, but I guess it's up to your preferences and if you really value walking into the store and walking out with a brand new watch.

post tits

Are poorfags really this delusional?

Rude!

who do you live with?
just out of interest

hey i'd like to see them too.

You know the rules, tits or gtfo

This is a SFW board

>tfw year of our lord MM + XVIII and still no daytona

yes

can you post a pic in a really tight shirt, or maybe just a bra?

I sure am glad I don't like how they look or I'd feel the same.

u wot
>also, 3mb photo here. suck it poor mobiledata user

> 3mb photo
> 223 KB JPG
Are those metric mbs or something?

those bracelet gaps

I simply prefer more minimalist styling. If I was going to buy a Rolex, I'd go for an Oyster Precision.

I don't why I did that.
I'll show myself out

>I simply prefer more minimalist styling

You sure got me there.

What do we thing about the new El Primero Panda, except for that it's absolutely fucking perfect?

>Still has the wrong dial(s) overlapping
>Perfect
What did he mean by this?

>those subdials
user pls

>wearing a Mickey Mouse watch

>It better come with the in-house movement.
That one just comes with an ETA 2824-2.

Thanks for the tips, lads.

El Primeros are cool but overlapping subdials make me roll my eyes.

iktf (pic unrelated)

How noticeable is the ticking of a Timex? It is actually that bad or is it just triggering peoples autism

i'll put it at the opposite side of my room and it's audible during the night.

I know. They better change it.

Wise sages of /wt/, Which amphibia should I get?

any you like the look of, user

With all that luxury it still can't compare from a purely aesthetic point of view to this panda for me

Is it bad for most of them or more so for certain models? I've heard the Weekender is pretty much infamous for it, but haven't heard much about any other models

i can't say much on it i'm afraid, i only have one of the Expedition watches

Are those skeleton end links?

Ah no problem, I was considering getting a Navi Harbor but there's almost no info/reviews out there, and those that exist are kind of mixed so I'll probably pass on it

fuck me wtc

Not sure, I pulled this pic from online. It's a 7t32-7c60 if that helps you at all.

i've had the Expedition for around 3 years now and i honestly cannot fault it aside from the ticks, it really is a fantastic watch. i don't imagine it being difficult to put the watch somewhere away while you sleep

>SNOWFRAKE

Now THAT is how the dials should overlap, if they are going to have to overlap.

eBay

This user gets it

The bezel and the hands are too big and the face is too small for my tastes

Overlapping sub dials is the trade off for the watch not being huge and for not cutting indices. In my eyes it's a trade off that is well worth it.

> In my eyes it's a trade off that is well worth it.
And in my eyes it looks like Micky Mouse.

I don't like most of Homos designs, either. do you seriously not like this, or are you just trying to get me to respond?

Get a Tudor.

I got that one for $60 via eBay.

check my nines

>didn't get a 9 in the postcount
bah
pics time

The roman numeraled one seems to gallop (rebank) when wound up, so it needs some work. Although it looks great on this side, the caseback is pretty thrashed.

two big cracks in the caseback and a baboon seems to have tried screwing it back on because all the lugs are chewed up. Weirdly, it was loose enough I could unscrew it by hand.