AMD Concedes Desktop Graphics to Nvidia

wccftech.com/amd-relinquishes-high-end-desktop-graphics-2018/

Discuss, APU is the future?

>inb4 shill
Read the article

Other urls found in this thread:

wccftech
techradar.com/news/amds-new-apus-combine-upgraded-ryzen-cpus-with-radeon-rx-vega-graphics
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-08/intel-ceo-krzanich-s-stock-sales-seen-warranting-sec-examination
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Damn for video editing I prefered amd radeon cards but for gaming I prefer nvidia

>Discuss, APU is the future?
For laptops? Yeah, or highly integrated packages like KBL-G.
Also,
>wccfturd

just get both then
easy

7nm GPUs would be fucking crazy though

It's a small-ish pipecleaner for Navi10.
Nothing special.

Can't use Wayland (well) with nvidia, so AMD is superior for me.

Can't wait to pay $2000 for 1060 level performance...

I'm just gonna buy an APU and be done with it. I'm a Linux user and Nvidia has no drivers.

AMD thinks they can one-up intel now and are betting all their money on the CPU market.

They're probably pouring money into the GPU division as well, but it'll take 2-3 years to bear fruit.

This. I remember when AMD conceded the high end in CPUs to Intel back in the FX era, ad they came back kicking ass with Ryzen.

>I'm a Linux user and Nvidia has no drivers.
They do have drivers. Proprietary drivers.

>wccftech

It's gonna pay off beautifully too, Intel fucked up royally, AMD will dominate until at least 2021.

That break on the next kernel update.

Where is the new AMD APU they promised since 2014?
They promised Ryzen 5 power with low power (15 to 65W)
I don't care much about the GPU power because neither intel or amd will achieve great power in terms of GPU for mobile(low powered non-fan tiny box APU or notebook) I'm interested in the CPU because the i3 6100u and i5 6200u aren't that great in fact they are very similar to the 4th generation

yeah
crazy hot and expensive

They just announced it.
techradar.com/news/amds-new-apus-combine-upgraded-ryzen-cpus-with-radeon-rx-vega-graphics

Sure, boo there's no new platform to compete against Volta. But the only question I want answered is when the fuck are they gonna restock RX Vega cards? Every online retailer has them out of stock for weeks now.

>currytech
Stopped reading there, fuck off Pajeet.

Is this Raven Ridge? why are they calling Ryzen 2?

I think it's pinnacle ridge.

are they calling the Ryzen 2 because they are now including a GPU? From the article I read it provides ''2 teraflops''... that's just good for playing old games
For what I understand their new Ryzen 2 of Desktop processors will come with a GPU...
I don't upgrade my PC since 2013, is it worth to wait to buy a Ryzen with GPU or should I get a cheap ryzen 3 and gtx 1050/1060?

I think they're calling it 2 because they're the 2xxx series.
It's just the media getting confused.

midrange vega WHEN

After Commander in Poo Raja was fired, Lisa sent in Suzanne Plummer (Director of Design for Zen) and another Zen microarch guy to do a complete bottom up revaluation of what RTG is working on. There was supposed to be a GPU released on 12nm according to road maps, but the lack of that suggests that a restructuring is currently going on at RTG. The bad: Nothing new until the end of this year if we're lucky, Navi probably delayed. The good: Vega was deemed good enough to be refreshed on 7nm for machine learning ($$).

The fact that there is probable restructuring gives me a good feeling actually. Hopefully RTG will go through what AMD's CPU division went through: getting rid of costly and under performing people/products, streamlining of corporate structure, hiring of top talent, and giving the engineers a free(er) hand to pursue the goal of good products. I hope they completely axed marketing. Good luck to RTG.

the main thing amd has to do is alleviate bottlenecks, 100% honest here if vega had its bottleneck alleviated like the white paper said, only the titan volta would stand up to it and beat it on all fronts.

Now, how much of the shit is vega being fucked hardware wise and how much is amd driver side is up in the air, no one is talking amd side, but most people who are somewhat competent see the primitive shader aspect being 100% software not implementing it yet.

2-3 years for a new architecture... yea, if you absolutely need it, vegas white paper makes it clear that the bottlenecks are alleviated to a very large extent, the issue is the features are not in driver. If anything, I would be investing in driver devs.

If we are to believe the infographics the 2400G has around the same performance for gaming as an i5 8400 and a Nvidia GT 1030.

desu AMD would have been better off using FX style numbering schemes for Ryzen+

>1550
>1750
>1850X

etc.

From leaks the new hardware isn't working right. Incorrect output.

vega is a number crunching monster, but it can't compete with volta for performance if they do nothing as for machine learning isn't volta something stupidly high like 106 or so tflops?

They're jacking Intel's schema for the most part

fx no longer has the power behind it it use to.

black edition still has good will though.

god I fucking remember when amd named their parts after what intels parts would have to clock to to be equivalent.

>Imply who is gonna do shit

We all know shitwrecker Keller made zen good.

>2400G
That would be interesting
GT 1030 for video editing and 4K video is decent
What is the desktop equivalent of 2400G ? are they still waiting a few more months to announce their GPU+CPU desktop line?

My eternal favorite will be the 6400+
>yes they need to clock their shit at 6 niggahurtz to match our processor

I think the 2200G and 2400G are desktop APUs.

Shit I just realize the 2400G is the desktop model?
I was thinking that was a low powered thing for system on a chip or notebooks

Yeah, it's retarded. At this rate, I'd rather wait for mid range Navi/Vega or some shit rather than take full Polaris.

Only in laptops (for now).

Intel once boasted in 2005 that their Pentuim 4 would reach 10GHZ

will Ryzen 5 2500U be on par with 2400G?
So far they haven't announced anything on Ryzen 5 GPU+CPU for desktop

>will Ryzen 5 2500U be on par with 2400G?
No since 2500U is not even a DT part.
>So far they haven't announced anything on Ryzen 5 GPU+CPU for desktop
2400G is literally a desktop APU.

>2400G is literally a desktop APU.
but it's ryzen 3?

>Ryzen 5 2400G
?

>implying AMD hasn't sold out their entire stock of GPUs for the last year.

mining has given them a free pass this generation and they still can't get their shit in order.

Ryzen 5 1400 -> Ryzen 5 2400G

my bad thanks

Volta isn't that far ahead as the optimizations are relatively specific and not always utilized. Its like AVX, very good theoretical performance but more or less a 5-20% boost, and not the absurd number Nvidia claims. The other problem with Volta is cost. Its a fucking 800+mm2 die, I think the full chips are selling for 8 grand a piece. In the real world 2 Vegas will be as good if not better than a Volta but they wouldn't cost 8 grand for both.

true, but also 2 vegas would eat a fuckload more power then 1 volta, and this is a market that will choose based on power consumption as my simple math puts vega somewhere around shit value overall compared to volta for the same task unless amd pulls something big out its ass.

i dont get why but
i had windows xp and ati card, right and using picture viewer, i could scroll through my pictures, no problem, quick, no lag, hangups hiccups. then i installed windows 7. previewing pictures, i would go through them using left right arrow keys, and it would lag, hangup, hiccup, all the time. I had an AMD card, I didnt know why. I thought it was windows 7. Then i traded the AMD card for a Nvidia. Loaded it up on Windows 7, and went to scroll through my picture folders with picture viewer, and No LAG. I mean like wtf? why

Windows 7 is just slightly less bloated than Vista. It only got worse after that.

so just amd couldnt handle the extra bloat in video cards and picture viewing. i had hiccups with a r9 390 compared to a 980 gtx, everywhere. always small hiccups here and there so annoying. i dont know why. windows 7 and i7 980x or something like that its xeon flavor 2nd fastest i7 in that series

there is no amount of bloat that would cause a 390 to choke on a simple jpg. what you're looking at is the famous amd meme drivers.

AMD should honestly focus on their CPUs at least for this and maybe next gen. They got a winner there and in terms of GPUs they should just reduce the prices as much as they can so they fill the low end market instead.

For any sort of serious workload you can't really beat nvidia. cuda is way too good and when we talk about gayman nvidia has some serious R&D cash going on with their day one drivers and other crap like sending engineers to help game developers optimize their shit which is pretty impossible for AMD since they are always trying to cut costs and on the red.

I'm still waiting for some laptop ryzen APU though, that's where their graphics would shine.

AMD is not cutting costs anymore, they've been increasing their fucking R&D budget for 8 consecutive quarters.
It's 10k for Tesla V100 (PCIe).

Radeon has lower frame times than nvidia but they have dogshit driver controls. You can't force off, only application controlled/off.

nvidia GPU + AMD CPU dream team
>doing this combo since 15 years

>they have dogshit driver controls
I sure love my windows xp control panel to take 15 seconds to load up every time.

yeah those fully featured instant response slick metro drivers are soooo bad lmao

works for me :^)

>care about a fermi tier doa gpu

They are iranian

>AMD being incompetent
Color me surprised

This is funny how now RTGfags loves Intel

They are not gonna restock their GPUs because they don't care about low margin gaming and even mining GPUs anymore.
They will pump everything into Zen+, epyc and meme learning Vega instead.
Best case: they have the capabilities for a 12nm Vega refresh, worst case...
Well, enjoy your upcoming novideo Monopoly.

Well they probably weren't wrong given sufficient cooling. Someone got an oil cooled P4 up to 8GHz.

>gtx 1050 level

We're excited about new technologies that are actually good, and promote innovation.

Yes, it's still 4c/8t on the CPU part and up to 11 instead of 10 Vega cores - the main difference is that the allowed TDP is 65 Watts.

It may be used in laptops (like the Ryzen 7 1700) but the niche between a 2500U/2700U with high cTDP (say 35W) and a mobile CPU+discrete mobile GPU combination would be relatively small.

According to this timeline, they will not release Vega in 12nm (except in the APUs, I suppose), but go right to 7nm in machine learning cards at the end of 2018 (with consumer cards in 2019?), and Navi in 2019.

I think that they may squeeze a 12nm Vega in-between, but only if the CPUs/APUs shrink goes well without many problems.

>wccftech
Pajeet, please, this memeing has gone long enough. use a goddamn toilet.

>being this delusional

my nvidia control panel only loads the 3D settings options, 'display' and 'video' aren't even there.

no it doesn't

>10GorillionHZ

The best was Cyrix back in the day. The PRXXX numbering was so confusing! Their 100MHZ proc being labeled PR166, like come on.

>using a gaymen laptop

That a bug

It's not.
It only happens on laptops. Video decoding and processing is handled solely by intel graphics while 3d applications use either integrated or discrete graphics depending on the requirement.

.. That control panel takes longer to load than AMD's new one, AND is far less response.

Just wait and see, AMD will be back with something good.

That's stupid I loved switchable graphics from 2010. You chose which graphics you needed and switched to it.

and your brain takes far longer to load and is less responsive

seriously do none of you fucking reddit kids actually read the reply chain? it's nearly every other post some fuckwit reads the exact opposite of what is said.

>amd still unironically pushing that abortion "instinct" after what nvidia had shown
No, pajeet, your slides and tflops don't mean shit when you literally haven't developed a software platform to utilize it. Nvidia is so far ahead in that field, it's not even funny.

Do we have any more info about when gaming volta cards are coming out? When are we likely to get info?

well what they expect? amd had no money up untill recently..
they are betting that the 7nm vega will turn out a monster (which given that is on a LP it will probably be a monster) and pave the way for navi in 2019
nothing really has changed

Historically Nigvidya announces flagship cards at either GDC (March) or at Computex (June). You will know that new cards are incoming when every tech press and Jewtube shill will be gone to some event that they can't speak about. Since the 600 series Jacket Man has invited the press and shills to special Nigvidya events where they announce the new cards.

They announce Titans and the lower rung cards at random intervals, like not even the tech shills will even know they're coming.

AYYMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

AYYMDPOORFAGS CONFIRMED ON SUICIDE WATCH

BONDREWD CRIED ITSELF TO SLEEP

eselect kernel set 1
cd /usr/src/linux
make -j9 && make modules_install && make install && grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
emerge @module-rebuild
reboot

The weak must fear the strong.

>being this oblivious
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-08/intel-ceo-krzanich-s-stock-sales-seen-warranting-sec-examination

>nvidia is now a monopoly
kek

Normies can't even buy AMD GPU's anymore, they are out of stock everywhere and DDR4 memory is so expensive it makes my ancient 64GB DDR3 ECC kit look like the investment of the decade.

The comment section is a proof that amdtards are permabutthurt subhuman trash.

Amd remove pajeet, some how it bad
Nvidia listen to pajeet for news

Nvidia the real pajeet

I just looked it up: I bought 8 GB DDR 1600 for €49 in July 2013. Wew.

>amd has no high end GPUs
now that's fresh news