/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", light, cheap, portable
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs (Xeon processors, up to 64GB of RAM), better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed)

Custom BIOS image board:
biosimage.booru.org/index.php

Other urls found in this thread:

alibaba.com/showroom/meme-pad.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for ThinkCat.

Very nice Thinkcat user.

do i need to get a new screen cable to be able to use a fhd screen on my t440?

Can I replace the motherboard and CPU of my T420?

Will Libreboot need to issue a BIOS update due to the recent vulnerabilities?

Things to put in mini PCI-e
>SSD
>WWAN
>router
>USB adapter
Am I missing anything? Just looking for something to put in this idle slot for X201.

Yes.

Has anyone here made the 1080p mod for the x220?

you can replace either. T420/520 have socketed cpu's

The thinkpad t440s is the #1 and best thinkpad

>mfw im right

>inb4 t440p
>Girls dont have sex with guys using laptops of 3 inches

I've done the screen,trackpad, and SSD swaps in the t440s, so if any questions ASK.

Euro X201 ThinkCat

very rare

>t440s gives you 3dpd whore aids
T440p wins. Flawless victory.

>caring about sex
Normie get out.

I cant seem to find working linux drivers for the SD slot on my x230 Debian 8. I've had it working on Windows 7 with official drivers but even then it only worked sometime. Would drop connection constantly and only reboots seemed to recover it.

which thinkpad is the most cyberpunk?

Yes the opensource nature of Libreboot makes the intel bug 10x more dangerous. Paints a huge red target on your back for police,government and hackers, now that the intel bug is common news.

Libreboot is 100% unusable now.

701c

Sorry I dont listen to fat neckbeards.

But I do love the t440s, and thinkpad, so I will continue posting here.

Get the t440s, you wont regret it.

Its like getting a $1500 macbook for $200-$300.

>recommending a t440s
shut the fuck up

or perhaps an A30p with all the accessories

W701ds perhaps?

Name 1 thinkpad thats better. That you can find under $200 under lenovo warranty still, and get everything replaced for free.

mfw you cant

Don't even give him the (You)'s. Just blacklist t440s and forget about it. It's just one delusional faggot every thread. Wont even show us he actually owns a thinkpad, letalone has done any of these supposed mods.

t440p :^)

ThinkPad-Tron

Nice try troll

>t440p

Its insanely thick and heavy compared to my t440s, what I had owned before.

The t440s is a direct uprade in every single way.

your cat look like my cat

>Its insanely thick and heavy
homosexual manlets pls go and kys

I seriously think people saying t440p are trolling.

ONLY get the t440p if you plan on leaving it plugged in 24/7 and not moving it once. Like its NOT a portable laptop.

My buddy owned the t440p and tilted it the wrong way 1 time and the cpu fryed. just saying.

they arent durable

My main machine is an X220T right now, but I've really been wanting to get an older machine so I can have libreboot. I used to be considering the X200, but lately I have grown sick of low resolution panels, so I'm thinking of getting a T500/W500 to libreboot. What I wanna know is how bad a screen swap is. A lot of the people on ebay don't list resolution. I'd like the max of 1920x1200, but I might have to pay extra for one that guarantees it has it. Is a screen swap expensive and or difficult? Also, what pricerange should I keep in mind when looking for a T500 or W500? I'm going to probably prefer the W500, but if I found a good deal on a T500, I'd go with that.

Is the t440p being massive and heavy a meme or actually true?

I mean, it's only 4.9 lbs. Or am I missing something herer?

The t440s is twice as portable than the t440p

If the t440p was twice as powerful, I could understand, but it isnt.

I love my t440s

I have done the touchpad mod, backlit keyboard, dual ssds, 72whr secondary battery, etc.

That's a cut ThinkCat user.

I'll give you a ThinkDog next time I go back home.

RAVEN RIDGE WHEN???

>Has anyone here made the 1080p mod for the x220?
I've read the tutorial, it's pretty difficult, lots of moment when you can fuck up.
And it's expensive too. But I would like one.

Did you mean: A31p?

What's a good way to find drivers for my T61 (Windows 7)? Reinstalled the system recently, Lenovo System Update shows much fewer install options than I remember.

download.lenovo.com/eol

anyone know???

>but it isnt
but it is

Is there a meaningful difference? I couldn't remember which one that picture was, and obviously it's too low-res to actually see the number.

Red pill me on the X1C line. I'm sick of having a brick (W530) for a laptop, but want to stick with TP.

>thin
>soldered RAM, very limited upgradeabity.
at least they're good-looking

get the t480s

alibaba.com/showroom/meme-pad.html
are these good

Hi friends!

I currently have a w540, and I'd like to get a p51 or 71. I already have two SSDs and 32gb of RAM.

If I short-spec my new build (order shitty drives and only 32gb RAM), is the configuration the same so I can drop my current hardware in.

I'd rather spend the money upping the CPU, and if I go p71 get a better graphics card.

Spec reasons: do a lot of database development work and need some room for VMs.

Thanks!

what is the comfiest thinkpad?

X60s

Anybody got a guy who knows a guy who knows when the A475 gets Raven Ridge?

Dell precisions are nice too. I like the thicc

X61t

Should I buy the new X1 Carbon Gen. 6, or wait another year for a notebook with a bug-fixed CPU?

I've been waiting for a year already to get a quad core x1 and this shit happens...

A475 was released ~6 months after T470, it'll be similar with T485. Lenovo is slow as shit.

Just replaced the fan in my t420

old on was really noisy and didnt always turn on.

Reporting from my Precision M6400 (Win7 Pro). Has been very good to me.
Terrified when it fell off my bed a couple days ago, open, landing on the display's right corner. Bent the worst of the dent out with some channel locks, and just so relieved that the screen didn't shatter. I'd have been devastated.
$400 on craigslist back in 2014. I should treat it with more appreciation.

When will I be able to get an off lease P70 for peanuts

Can you recommend me a Thinkpad based on criteria ranking from most to least important:

Good battery life

Drivers exist for debian based linux distro

Around 13 inch

I got this one off eBay for $330. Nice i7 with discrete graphics. The weakest part of these laptops seem to be the lids, all of them seem to have at least some level of denting.

x220

Laptops that are practically the same(Other than motherboard and CPU) Can be swapped correct? I'm thinking about trying to place a M6500 motherboard in a Dell M6400, for the sweep USB 3 and i7 XM.

Very nice

post link for good x220 to buy in canada

ebay fucking me with shipping prices from murica

halp

Recommend me a thin, light, cool and quiet laptop.

w701 ds

There are minipcie TV tuners, you could use a USB adapter to add an fm tuner.

I also want to know what you can put in a minipcie slot, I have a spare in a x61t and I can't find the wwan antennae.

I don't think so. The common screen mod is to put a T440 screen inside an older model (T420) and then the cable is to adapt from LVDS to eDP.

What screen did you end up with, and what do you mean by SSD swap?

any X1 Carbon.

Just upgraded my T420 to Bluetooth 4.0, but it isn't sending any sound to my headphones. Do I need some sort of driver? I'm running Ubuntu 17 btw

WHERE IS MY W520 BIOS UPDATE

your mistake was being born a leaf, or, worse yet, deciding to move there

>Laptops that are practically the same(Other than motherboard and CPU) Can be swapped correct?
Usually not, but you could try if you have the parts already

The fan of my T60p is dying and there supposedly are better heatsinks one can buy. Any suggestions?

I'm using the T43 right now (version without fingerprint scanner)
It's great; fast and pretty quiet

What software do you run on it, and what sort of stuff do you use it for on an average day?

>Lenovo debuting shit at CES, right now.
>Still no fucking Ryzen Thinkpad.

Are ThinkPads going to ever get good again, or does Lenovo still not understand what we want?

They understand what the market wants, not a small pocket of virgins on a weeaboo website.

Is that actually what you believe? Even normies have said they want bigger batteries. The keyboard is one thing, but why are all the internals soldered on these days?

editing papers, writing programs
I have LMDE2 with lxde and if I need to run windows stuff virtualbox works nicely

any nigga got a solution to fixing keys that don't work?

I've got a t60 ibm that has its qweruiop keys broke

I spilled water on my lenovo ideapad 110s and now half of my keys don't work. I thought you guys said it was waterproof, which was a big selling point to me.

buy a new keyboard

bump

Just got a x230 tablet for $200 did I do good?

does it heat up a lot?

I need just the number 3 (for main keyboard)
where can I find one

You can dry it in the microwave.

I'm pretty sure all IDEApads are not at all built that way. THINKpads tend to have such features.

>ideapad
Into the trash it goes.

I bought three T530's for $50 each from my uni and just cleaned and re applied the thermal paste. Sell on eBay or be a Thinkpad collector who doesn't use his laptops?

Give them to friends/family as presents, or sell them. If you don't already have a ThinkPad, you should use at least one of them.

>applied new thermal paste onto my pentium 3 toshiba laptop
>CPU fan now doesn't turn on unless there's very heavy load

W520

but if you were implying that comfy mean gay, then refer to and

I put the 95 gamut 1080p panel in a t520 it takes about 20 minutes. the panel costs around 90 bucks on ebay.

Is the t520 really that thicc?

You do not, I've just done it a short while ago. Same cable, same pinout, same location. Just need new screen. On T440p, the bezel pulls off with plastic tabs, T440/T440s requires bezel to be retaped on.

Does the FHD IPS panel found in the X240--X270 have dull and washed out colours? According to notebookcheck's review it only covers around 65% of sRGB which seems pathetic, but I don't know enough about colorimetry to say whether low gamut volume necessarily translates into low perceived colour vibrancy.

The HD IPS panel in the X220T looks pretty good to me, and I also use IPS monitors at my desk when I dock. If you can find stats on that and compare, maybe that'll give you an idea.