/retro/

Hey guys, how about another /retro/ thread?
How are your machines?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_SystemPro
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My old Compaq laptop still runs Win 95 just fine. Amazing 640 x 480 px. I love it.

anyone remember ubuntu 9,04?

I just bought a Socket 7 computer for 40$ and feel like a complete manchild.

I did a build not too long ago with Win 98 SE for some old hardware that needed a parallel port built into the mobo (Software that needed IRQ 7). Also built it as retro gaming rig in mind.

P4P800SE
Windows 98 SE (With some 3rd party updates, forgot the devs name)
P4 @ 3.0ghz Processor
512mb of RAM
120GB HDD
GT 6800 Ultra AGP
Pioneer DVD-RW
Close as possible to the 90's looking case while being new and cheap.

Now want to do an ultimate Win95/98se build for some Voodoo and Doom action in it's native glory.

Is there any USB to IDE converter? My old HDD has failed, so I'm looking for a fairly new replacement.

>P4
>512 MB RAM
I'd put a gig or two and go with Win2000.

Almost all the RAM and my main HDD died in my G4.
I see it as an excuse to get a SSD and 2GB of PC133 in there though.

>win98 machine on dos mode bootloop, need dos boot disk
>no floppy writer except on winXP machine
>winXP machine has boot errors

Just launch me out of a cannon

I had that at one point, was just in the process of removing it since I no longer need it installed and I didn't like having to go through GRUB on every reboot

Here is my Amiga 500. I have a Amiga 500 NTSC with 1MB of ram (512K + 512K trapdoor ram) with a Gotek floppy drive so I don't have to worry about swapping floppy disks. I may get a 2nd floppy disk for keeping work bench running at all times. I also can connect my A500 to my PC with a serial to USB cable so I can connect to BBS servers.

Forgot pic.

Depending on the machine you can always boot from CD if the machine has one.
My Emachines has floppy drive emulation so you can boot windows 98 setup directly off a CD if the ISO has the floppy boot image on it

You can get a passive IDE to compactFlash adapter. Its pretty much 100% compatible with retro shit but faster and more reliable

Yeah, but are CFs not produced anymore?

CF cards are still being made, but they don't seem to be sold in retail anymore (only SD cards are being sold).

>but are CFs not produced anymore?
There everywhere still online and still made by all the usual decent brands

>me
>pc
>waifu
>profit

>no hoverhand
He is a true alpha

CF is pretty niche now, only high end cameras use it iirc

/retro/ I got a bunch of old DOS games from Goodwill recently and I've been thinking of getting an old 486 machine on which to play them. I can't find anything local so I guess I'm going to have to get one off eBay. I have a Pentium II laptop but I figure that's too new to play nicely with some late-80s/early-90s DOS games.

I'd still like to try to find a cheap one locally but I'm not having any luck at thrift stores or on Craigslist. Anyone have suggestions for other places to check? I'm in Los Angeles so I feel like I should be able to find something.

I remember this guy. I really what he's up to these days now that normies found out about his channel which caused him to delete everything.

He deleted most of his shit even before
Maybe he took the "muh artist" bullshit seriously

how do you guys feel to buy/collect/use retro stuffs?

>his retro laptop doesn't have a built in subwoofer
>2011+7

>How are your machines?
My virtual machines are doing quite fine thank you.

>I'd put a gig or two and go with Win2000.
No one had "a gig or two" in the win2k days mate. If you're gonna make a retro machine, keep it authentic otherwise what's the fucking point?

>not getting one of those bigass workstations with 4 xeons, more than 4GB RAM and win2k advanced server

>dual non-pro pentium 1's
that was a thing?

It's not like P4 was common in time of 512 MB RAM.

u wot
512M being common was smack in the middle of P4 era

Even dual 386 existed
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_SystemPro
But it only really became a standard with the pentium + compatible chipset
Of course this is for IBM PC compatible hardware only, I believe custom mainframe machines with lots of 386 and 486 CPUs existed as well

i'm not surprised there was dual cpu systems, i just thought only the pentium pro's supported that configuration, not the regular pentiums

Well, I had whopping 2 GB with P4.

doable, of course, but far from common

Look at this rich cocksucker

>Not NT

NT4 doesn't have drivers for this machine
Win2k and XP are garbage with 128MB RAM, also MUH GAYMS

I finally punched V7 into a position where it'd consider ctrl-c the new interrupt character (getty and tty.h needed changing) and where I could have DEL as erase character by default (login, getty and tty.h needed changing)
I'm still not able to cause a backspace effect, however. ^H does move the cursor back and I've changed the partab entry for DEL to behave like ^H
>mfw trying to figure this shit out

I go out dumpster diving looking for old office PCs hoping to get some Pentium 2/3 system but instead I find a load of Microsoft software. Better than nothing I suppose.

>OEM NT
You lost the lottery

Win 95 theme

Inconsistent theme, for shame.
It's far enough from all features of Windows 95 Explorer.

You should check out swap meets instead. I know LA has one at City College. They're pretty hit-and-miss for /retro/ shit, but I've spotted some cool stuff. An Osborne 1, a Compaq luggable, an Amiga 500, some entry-level SGI workstations, tons of pre-P4 laptops of varying quality and condition. Usually it's the same sellers who will have computer stuff for sale, though it's not every week they have full /retro/ machine for sale.
If you're not willing to spend 1-2 hours on a weekend hunting for your perfect 486 machine for a couple months, then just use eBay. You'll spend a lot more on the one machine as well as shipping, and there won't be that sense of discovery, but maybe it'll cost less than the price of gas in the end.

Any themes to make arch look like a unix computer from the early 90s?

but it comes like that by default

mwm/CDE

Elaborate
Is the issue the missing non-x86 stuff?

SMP support was just a matter of having a proper chipset for it to my understanding. There were a lot of high end dual-socket 486 and Pentium systems from the likes of NCR, HP and others.

This. 40GB was already the norm.

>40GB ram
>win2k/p4 machine

Anyone bought an SD to CF adapter that really supports IDE mode? I bought one, and it only got recognized by BIOS long enough to fail once anything tried to use it.

Don't want to switch to straight SD to IDE b/c the ones I found don't come with convenient brackets and I already have CF adapters.

Rate my theme

you can set your icons to show window titles and disable grouping, making it look the same as 9x/2k

*taskbar icons, i mean

Good idea!
Done.

np, also, you can disable the "show more" thing in the tray as well. 9x/2k didn't do that

>Win2k (...) garbage with 128MB RAM
nigga what?

I doubt if Win2K ever can work with 40 GB RAM.

win2k datacentre server goes up to 32GB

Is this the new hipster central?
You bunch of idiots with spare change think its cool running antique machines to be cool?

Get the fuck right out of Sup Forums you fucking faggot.
I don't even participate in this thread, but seriously, just go back to redd.it you piece of shit.

Pěknej koš.

Á, fellow czechfag.

Ikony ještě doladím.
Vyměním ho za obr. související.

Is this real?

Are you really posting from Win98?
VM or real deal?

98 + KernelEx?

If you'd like some original wallpapers, let me know and I'll post some.

>$40 for a socket 7
In Russia you can get stacks of these for free.
Because of that my room feels more like a storage facility rather than a bedroom.

Themed Windows 7

Very accurate!

Holy shit that's awesome!
Would you mind posting some instructions?

Yeah, of course!

dumping
in addition to

i assume res hack for Start button, an icon set, and just changed classic theme colors etc.

classic clouds

Im here for the past 8 years you mumbling sack of shit.
Go to hell you and your hipster shit.
I hope you choke on it and die.

i still own the black version of the mouse in this picture.

Microsoft mice have always been very good quality, but I never really liked the Ergonomic Keyboard.

Has anyone ever had this as their wallpaper?

never had one of the keyboards. said mouse is still working, i plugged it in a few days ago for the first time in like 15 years. the "klick" is god tier compared to modern mice and if it had a scroll wheel i would switch back to it in a heartbeat.

what did they mean by this

I can't remember if Microsoft made mouse with scroll wheels, but I know Logitech had some quality mice with three buttons and/or scroll wheel. I even had one with two wheels.

My shitbook Acer Aspire One N2600 will the fastest laptop on the planet when Meltdown and Spectre kills everything.

It also plays SCUMMVM gaymus.

i remember using a 2000ish ms mouse with a scroolwheel but it died many years ago.

That's easy to do. Needs moar 90s anime. Win2000 had basically the same look.

I created my own tiles with 256 colours and 16X16 icons.

These have all been pulled out of my Windows 95 install. I could try extracting some more out of Plus!95, 98, and Me later. Possibly in another thread if there is interest.

They got noticeably worse after the late 90s, maybe a change of suppliers.

?

KernelEx broke my Win98SE setup :(

>They got noticeably worse after the late 90s, maybe a change of suppliers.
let's say my black one has "made in ireland" printed on it.

Guys, did anyone try to program for CP/M?
Is it easier than DOS?

I was never a fan of 98 anyway. I can't stand Active Desktop and the webified Explorer.

good man