Easy-to-fix devices

Do manufacturers nowadays make repairable devices, that have service manuals, schematics and etc. that are available to download or buy?
Like Lenovo Thinkpads, for which you can download service manual from Lenovo, and buy stuff from Lenovo.

Redpill me on such Sup Forums-certified devices.

>Do manufacturers [...] make repairable devices
Yeah, old Thinkpads.

>Do manufacturers nowadays make repairable devices
No. It would be bad marketing.

>Yeah, old Thinkpads.
But new ones are quite serviceable. Lenovo even has service manuals for shit-tier devices.
>No. It would be bad marketing.
Really? I don't want to ride a car, where rims are welded to hub, and you need some special driver to replace brakepads.

>But new ones are quite serviceable
Not nearly as much.

>Really? I don't want to ride a car, where rims are welded to hub, and you need some special driver to replace brakepads.
But if you buy one, and something breaks, you have to buy a new one.
It's basically planned obsolescence/pushed consumerism.
Not doing it would put you at a disadvantage compared to the competition.
Consider yourself lucky everything is not tight-locked like a fucking Macbook.

My x230t's screen stopped working and then it stopped POSTing so I took it to a computer repair place in Sham Shui Po and got it fixed for 850HKD. They said it needed a new motherboard even though it was probably just a lose/bad wire but whatever, I can't be bothered to be rooting about in my computer and maybe messing something up.

HP does weirdly enough, however HP and Dell have this stupid new design for low end laptops where the entire case has to come off before you can get to the HDD or RAM, and you need a spudger to do it unless you don't care about scratching the case.

>Not nearly as much.
Yes, but still, I can replace stuff, that wear out, like keyboard, touchpad, screen, battery, or even mainboard with CPU, RAM (in some models), SSD, WLAN... And I will need no strange-bit driver or hot-air gun to do it, just ordinary screwdrivers.
In MacBook... I'd not buy one in first place, because I'm not a gay.
In Acer, ASUS - well, it is possible, but instructions are unclear and my dick will stuck in fan.
>But if you buy one, and something breaks, you have to buy a new one.
Not quite true, you can order new part. In some cases you can repair broken part...
>It's basically planned obsolescence/pushed consumerism.
It is more pushed not by hardware, but new shitcoded software.
Sad. But modern mobos are like 10 layer PCBs, so it is pain in the ass to repair. But still, it would be cool, if they included schematics in manual.
Wow, didn't know that they have service manual.
>new design for low end laptops where the entire case has to come off before you can get to the HDD or RAM
Not as bad, as soldered one. You can't take for granted RAM slots and SATA/PCI-e connectors these days.
And manual will help it much.

>Really? I don't want to ride a car, where rims are welded to hub, and you need some special driver to replace brakepads.

Well nowadays you don't have access to the service programs used for new ECUs and you have to take it to the dealership to get your firmware updated. Vehicles are becoming less and less serviceable due to the amount of tech involved in operation. They have full wireless sensor arrays and codes that don't fit into your typical OBDII check-engine codes.

Things in vehicles like brakes, wheels, oil filters etc. will remain easily serviceable because adding time to complete those services just fucks over dealer techs and would back up the big services they can charge for.

>Not as bad, as soldered one. You can't take for granted RAM slots and SATA/PCI-e connectors these days.

yeah it's still more repairable than new macbooks but it's still a pain in the ass

>you don't have access to the service programs used for new ECUs
Not true. You can buy/rent dealer level stuff for a lot of money with service manuals. It is like US government regulation I guess. (Kia KGIS for example...)
And they are not limiting you from 3rd party mechanics, like Apple does it.
Compared to old days of 479 socket and big windows for service - yeah.

Thinkpads aren't even that serviceable in the grand scheme of things. Break the CPU socket on a Thinkpad work around it with a soldering iron. Interface a new peripheral to the memory bus for I/O.

Believe me as soon as they find a way to force you to buy a whole new car instead of changing the oil they're gonna. Really if you need a service manual for a thinkpad you're doing it wrong. Did you really need that picture to know how to pop a couple U.fl connectors off and change a card?

>Thinkpads aren't even that serviceable in the grand scheme of things.
Yep, because of multi-layer PCB and overall complexity. But still better that some fruit company.
>Believe me as soon as they find a way to force you to buy a whole new car instead of changing the oil they're gonna.
Invent life-time oil. 100k miles (160kkm) on clock - you are done, power is limited, buy a new car or replace engine.
>Really if you need a service manual for a thinkpad you're doing it wrong.
Manual is not that necessary, as it is handy while assembling, to make sure that long screws go in long threads.
>Did you really need that picture to know how to pop a couple U.fl connectors off and change a card?
Not really. But still good to have.

Only the business class stuff seems easily serviceable... Stupid fucking companies are soldering everything in.. massive pain in the fucking fuckhole

>Believe me as soon as they find a way to force you to buy a whole new car instead of changing the oil they're gonna

john deer DRM tractors, huge lawsuit about it, check it out.

Em, no, low-end laptops have RAM slots and SATA connectors.
Yes, CPU is soldered.

So,
DELL, HP, Lenovo have service manuals, right?

now when i think about it, it's pretty sad that no one does that anymore. long time ago service manuals were necessary because a company who paid a lot for hardware wants their workers to be able to fix it, now your china corp will just send bunch of chinks in a plane to fix it for you. Sad stuff, i still have ibm xt clone with all of the books, wiring diagrams and shit, there is enough documentation for you to build your own keyboard just based on what's written in computer guide. Now manufacturers just assume that you're going to buy their module when old module breaks.

Yes. And even more, SMDs are pain in the ass, as well, as lead-free solder.

ive been soldering daily for 11 years. there is nothing wrong with lead free solder

There is nothing wrong if you have normal station, not shitty thing, that overheats if you set dial to 350 deg. c.

There are differences between real lead free solder, and shit tier chink 'solder' producers are using.

There are problems with all lead free, chink tier suffers most
like poorer wettability when soldering, tin whiskers and biggest one - tin pest.