BSD COMMUNITY = MOST RETARDED GROUP OF PEOPLE

I HATE THE BSD COMMUNITY, DIE IN A FIRE YOU SCUM.

>install FreeNAS
>set up a pool for my 5 drives with ZFS
>can't add a new drive and expand my array
>recently I lost 2 drives and all of my data is now gone, even though my 3 other drives are working just fine
>i can't even access the data on my 3 other drives, it's literally fucking impossible because it won't let me
>the dipshits over at BSD thinks this is perfectly fine, logical and sane

And the part is, the Linux community is working on BTRFS and the entire BSD community hates

>ever using anything bsd related

There's your problem.

> I didn't read the manual, the post
Now, I don't really like zfs either but the limitations on expanding pools are extremely well documented, as are storage architectures considering that.

If you fucked up a zfs config its only because you didn't read and just mashed through like some kind of neanderthal

At least you could have seen this coming, since there is documentation for BSD, unlike Lincucks.

what are you even talking about? you can't fuck up a ZFS config.

god, you don't even know what the fuck you're talking about you fucking mouthbreathing retard

ZFS is a shit filesystem, you're unable to do the following
1. Expand the array with new drives (you have to re-create the entire pool which means you'll lose your data)
2. If your drives fail, you lose all of your data in your other drives because the retard who made BSD thought it'd be a good idea

no wonder BSDtards screech over ButterFS, because ButterFS will obliterate ZFS within the next two years.

Are you fucking stupid? The data is striped across the drives; if too many pieces are missing then you can’t reconstruct the whole – this is not unique to ZFS but any RAID system beyond RAID 1.

should've used btrfs with offline ext4 backup

A sad but typical case.
The rage you feel is perfectly normal.
The shame you feel for falling for the bsd meme makes it worse.
Live and learn, my friend. Live and learn.
P.S. Just a heads up. Your blood will boil with a seething rage every time you see a BSD shill thread on Sup Forums as long as you continue coming here. Don't let it get to you. Shills need to put bread on the table, too.

works just fine for BTRFS
works just fine for XFS
works just fine for any other filesystem

B-B-But ZFS is ENTERPRISE-READY!!!!!!! Linux is a MESS!!!!!!!!!!!! GPL is a virooooooooos!!!!!

>i didn't back up my data
helo fren, dont froget to do a backup have a nic day ;)

where in my post did it say i didn't back up my data, you retarded mouthbreather?

helo, just restore data then no prob have happ day ;)

We're not the crowd who couldn't set up ZFS properly, nigger. You're really angry, I don't even think you made backups lol.
I'm glad your data is gone loser

BSD = Shitty Linux

>set up ZFS properly

lol there is no way to set it up "properly" in order to expand the array with drives or plug in one drive to check the data in it on another system

fucking BSDtard spreading propaganda right here boys

so how much money goes towards redhat shilling anyway

says the BSDtard trying to justify ZFS

You can stripe in vdevs to expand or expand in place by replacing drives with larger.

What raid/filesystem lets you plug and play with single drives in an array?

LOL, BSD is not a toy like Linux.

This is literally something you are told with 2 minutes of research and in FreeNAS itself.
Are you just a mouthbreathing spastic who can't RTFM?

why does anyone even use xfs or zfs. both are pretty fucking shitty

I mean ext4 and btrfs were designed many years later, and designed a lot smarter at that

let's not forget. zfs is made by the same losers who made java

XFS, BTRFS, ext4, literally anything

That's.... that's not how RAID works. You can't take a single drive out of a 4 disk array and expect to read the data off you utter dipshit.

>I'm a retard and fucked up something on one BSD OS
>WAAH FUCK ALL THE BSDS, FUCK EVERYONE WHO LIKES BSD, FUCK ME FOR TRYING IT
Fuck you for being too much of a goddamned moron to RTFM

you literally can with XFS and BTRFS

retard

Are you a retard? If you set only one disk for parity and you lost 2 disks its only obvious that you would lose your data not only in ZFS but in every other raid existing implementation.

the absolute state of BSD "critics"

Just found another illiterate freetard:

>or plug in one drive to check the data in it on another system
That's not how RAID works you fucking ingrate.

No you can't. Not unless it's a RAID1.

That depends on how the array is configured.

Raid5 or raidz allows one and only one single drive fail. The total storage is total disks - 1

Raid6 or raidz2 allows two drive failures. The total storage is total disks - 2.

That's not what you posted earlier, at all. You claimed you could take a disk out of a RAID, walk that disk over to another machine, and expect to be able to get a valid filesystem on it to read data from.

yes, it works splendid with btrfs and xfs

I'm not grand parent poster. Listen to my words. I bring knowledge. Every raid configuration needs a minimum amount of disks to work and raid 5 demands (total disks) - 1.

That's not what's being discussed. Can you or can you not remove a single drive from a non-RAID1 array and read it on another machine?

Thats right you can do it with raid1. OP setup was not raid1.

zfs is bloat
btrfs is bloat
also what are backups, brainlet

How is ZFS bloat in comparison to md raid?

zfs and btrfs is not bloat, nothing suggests it is

Which is why I specifically excluded RAID1

Breaking Shit Distros