Mozilla FireFox 57 (Quantum)

Six Sup Forums tabs + one addon = 1,2GiB of RAM

What a fucking meme of a browser this is. ESR52x64 with a lot more tabs and 10 addons uses 300-350MiB of RAM. This is worse than fucking Chromium!

Other urls found in this thread:

mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2160852/ram--virtual-memory--pagefile--and-memory-management-in-windows
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>ESR52x64
Wat

mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

>blatant lies from femanon
Every time.

UNUSED

RAM

IS

WASTED

RAM

gee thx, now loading random files into RAMdisk to not waste my precious RAM.

Do you have a fetish for unused ram?

That's a bad task monitor app.

fucking this for the over 9000 time

WIndows default task manager also indicated 1,2GiB. Actually 1,3 right now.

I don't have one for wasted RAM, I can tell you that for a fact.

this

Techlet here. What's the problem with a program using extra ram? Is it solely because it's unnecessary and could be better optimized to not use as much? If you have like 32GB of RAM, I don't see why you'd miss 1 gb being used. If you have alternative browsers that use less, of course you would call Firefox out for being unoptimized, but I'm just wondering.

I have 32 GiB of RAM. If this shit uses 1GiB for 6 fucking tabs, imagine what happens when I have 60 tabs open, and I usually hae 60+ tabs open.

Open 60 tabs. Post the results.

>imagine what happens when I have 60 tabs open, and I usually hae 60+ tabs open
I am imagining, you can see my imagination in the first row here

faggots that don't understand ram management need to fucking leave.

the more ram is available, the more ram firefox and any other web browser will use. it speeds up things.

unused ram is wasted ram and ram will be automatically freed once it's needed by another application. and if you don't have enough ram, your os will cache the files on your ssd (you DO have an modern ssd, right?), so you won't notice any performance decreases, anyway.

including task viewer software in an operating system aimed at poor, tech illiterate troglodytes was a giant mistake. if you couldn't look up the numbers you would not care about ram usage or notice it as long as everything works. you are literally complaining about things you have no clue about
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2160852/ram--virtual-memory--pagefile--and-memory-management-in-windows
come back when you can't start some application because you have no ram left. unless you're running a bunch of vms at the same time that will never ever happen at 12+gb ram
you fucking dumbfuck. you are the fucking cancer op

May we see your mammaries?

Today is my birthday, the opportunity to contemplate your breasts would make this day very special.

In the immediate sense, RAM being eaten up is not a big concern to me. As I have 12GB of ram that never gets eaten up, but I fear that if we aren't strict on programmers about ram efficiency then before we know it it'll become the standard to have 16GB to 24GB of ram and then we'll be really up shit creek.

> Web browser displaying one tab with images and text
> Use more RAM than the video game Crysis, even Crysis 2

God, what have our retarded Millenial generation done.

>362 is more than 768 or 1278
?

prefer > general > process

Seconding this.

Quantum perfs (2169MB)

That's Nightly with a lot more open tabs.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM. There's a reason quantum is fast as fuck.

>There's a reason quantum is fast as fuck
It is the same as ESR52.

>all this mozikeks defending their crap

If this thread had a Chrome browser who used this much RAM for so little tabs they would had shitposted in here and called Chrome a piece of shit that cannot into ram management. Your hypocrisy is showing cucks.

>Chrome browser
begone from here, botnet

What browser should I use?
I only have [spoiler]8[/spoiler]Gb

FFQ
> 1 tab youtube video 720p
500MB RAM

I have 4 tabs open and it's taking up nearly 4 gigabytes

I have firefox 50.1.0 and 10 tabs open, 4 of Sup Forums, 1 youtube, 3 normal site, and google, Sup Forums wiki, and is taking 545MB of ram, i have 2GB ram.

Are you watching a livestream or something?

>muh kilobytes

What does it matter?

i have 2
works fine

oh btw i have it on another pc with 1
works fine there too

> purposely cuts out background process
You are the one lying. KYS

Fucking retard what dpes that have to do with anything related to the post? He is showing what FIREFOX is using.

firefox has background processes you fucking moron

linuxatemyram.com
Read it

Firefox has a finite number of worker processes. It doesn't spawn a new content process after 7. It's multiprocess/multithread with a master process, just like nginx.

I disabled multiprocess

They do not use nearly as much ram as the actual application... autism much?

>2018
>nigger still think a web browser is a "web browser"
its a fucken vm at this point

this, people on this board are Sup Forums-tier ignorant about how their machine actually works

unironically, that's a good option if you're sure you won't ever use a GB or so from your RAM

lol you virgins

What?, a web browser is not a web browser?, then what it is?

>have GPU in system
>use software rendering instead
retard

a fucken vm
you are emulating programs this is what browsers are now

>software rendering
I don't

There is no "background process" group when you sort them by memory usage. Even then firefox doesn't have a process that it labeled as "background". All firefox processes are in the firefox group.
You could have checked that yourself, you fucking retard.

Oh that's weird, i think firefox is not into that, if i open the google search page i'm emulating a program?

>unused ram is wasted ram
Who in the fuck started this cancerous meme? Who? That is a brainlet mantra for developers to just make things as inefficient as possible while I have to play ram roulette everytime I use software because apparently bloat is has been normalized instead of being the cringe badge it is

>femanon makes a retarded thread
>bullshit is quickly pointed out in one of the first few replies
>retards take the bait and keep posting retarded responses
The current state of Sup Forums

not really but websites like youtube which cant work without JavaScript can you call "websites"?

Iridium

>Having less than 64GB of RAM.
>2018
Jesus fucking Christ.

>unused brain is wasted brain.
What is memory leak?

get a job and buy some ram, It's not 2007 anymore
>even in 2007 I had 6GB

how do i turn off this shit?

i don't want them to tell me "how to be a better internet citizen"

bottom of new tab page

What's a good browser to use on a 10 year old notebook with 2 GB ram? All modern browsers are really slowing down the machine.

What are you doing on Sup Forums?

SFW tits or GTFO

I have.

Try ESR52 32-bit:

>fast as fuck

>Femanon
post baps or gtfo

>fast
I had to leave firefox for opera 2 days ago because quantum is absolute shit. For starters, the websites don't diplay properly, especially when the browser is resized. Comments on youtube don't load half the time and other websites have features that don't work. It is also a memory hog and don't give me the free ram is wasted ram bullshit, I am almost all the time 200 mb away from getting maxed.

I didn't want to move away from firefox but, at this point, I am forced to because of how shitty it is. webpages sometimes don't even load properly. Since I am on linux the other option I have is opera (inb4 spyware or chromium), hopefully opera would be decent, still trying to get used to it though

Been trying out Basilisk and Iridium. They seem great so far, and I can void googles botnet and Mozillas datamining.

>Comments on youtube don't load
It's doing your a favor.

>using ram is bad

I hate nu-Sup Forums

>bumping a bait thread
I hate nu-Sup Forums

I got 450mb in Pale Moon with 6 tabs, one of them playing music in youtube

Dude where is your services.exe. Like how do you even use DHCP?

Epiphany is serviceable I hear.

yeah getting pretty tired of her namefagging TEEBZ

>Unable to even understand the picture
So that's the kind of retard that browse Sup Forums

>and ram will be automatically freed
yeah right, more like you'll have to kill firefox because its hogging all of your RAM so you can start your VMs

t. guy with only 8GiB

unpatched

Literally updated 13 days ago.

Same tabs open, Quantum uses less then 750 MiB on Linux Mint in 4 processes.

Than, fucker. THAN, not then.

>Fucking English language.

Oh shit, well too late for me I like the new tab bar.

Enjoy it while it lasts then.

Yeah, you bet anal virginity it's fucking bad. In no world it is justifiable for a web-browser to use as much RAM as a bleeding edge PC game from 5 years ago.

Nope, 4 tabs all on Sup Forums.

>firefox doesn't have a process that is labeled as "background"
you're right, it has six

Update Windows.
I think process grouping has been implemented two updates ago.

doesn't really change the fact that FF is using almost a gig of RAM on my machine with only two Sup Forums tabs open

I don't like to defend the namefag, but in this case he's right

Can't reproduce.

102 tabs open on 3 seperate windows

interesting - looks like there might be a memory leak or it's caching old pages

closed and reopened exact same two Sup Forums threads, RAM usage is currently half of what it was before and both threads have new posts/images

Firefox uses your computer resources to mine social justice.

>Opera

>being so ashamed of your nationality that you have to filter your language from the screenshots you are uploading on the internet, however failing miserably to do so

Of course it's caching pages you fucking moron

so until you close FF it's just going to keep growing in RAM usage because it's caching the pages you already visited (even though you no longer have them open)? that doesn't seem like a great idea