Official Sup Forums Router discussion

>pic related is the most patrician router software

Welcome to the Sup Forums Router Thread

1) What router do you own?
2) What firmware do you run on it?
3) Have you considered switching to business-grade routing?

No question is too stupid.

Old thread here

Other urls found in this thread:

arxiv.org/abs/1608.03430
community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT32x-and-WRT3200ACM-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1246764
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

That is one pretty ass GUI.

If you like graphs you'll love the ntopng-package for pfsense, pic related

just got a wrt3200acm, whats the best firmware to maintain the mu-mimo support.

USG
UNIFI

Any pfsense experts on Sup Forums?

Currently, I have IP filtering rules on the router that allow access to particular IPs on the outer network from particular PCs on the inner network. The router provides simple data counters for every rule that reset to zero on reboot. If I replace the router with a PC running pfSense, will I be able to make data counters for my filters that persist through reboots and can be archived e.g. monthly? The pfsense wiki isn't helping.

>using botnet DNS
>not using quad 9 DNS

arxiv.org/abs/1608.03430
Can someone explain how this works? Is it the same basic idea as a sonar? How much should we worry about this "FreeSense"?

actually all my devices are configured to use my pi-hole which again uses a couple good DNS servers hosted nearby, but yeah, my gf and other devices on the network get google DNS

Yes, there's multiple packages available that allows saving data through reboots

Nice. I use this as the edge router on my server

Why not OPNsense with HardenedBSD?

Leave it stock if you're just using it in dumb AP mode.

OPNsense has worse performance and an uglier GUI.

>Netgate, the copyright owner of pfSense, had been using the domain opnsense.com in bad faith to discredit OPNsense
I didn't know the new owners of pfsense are assholes. They also mandate AES-NI as an requirement for the next major update just so paying customers can use their upcoming cloud service. No more reusing old PC as a router for pfsense.

>tfw 7 year old router

Well they did announce the AES-NI update a year or so in advance, and you can get pretty cheap hardware supporting it desu

Norton Core

what did they mean by this?

Running a Zyxel VMG4825
4x gigabit LAN, 1x gigabit WLAN, 2x *DSL ports, USB host and mu-mimo ac2300.
$200.
Thing is much bigger than expected, about the size of an a4 page.
Kicks ass

Replaced garbage ASA at work with Mikrotik RouterOS. Replacing all overrated Cisco 29xx switches next summer, probably with HP.

>fx cpu in a router build
k

it's in a VM so he probably has other VMs on the same host that require cpu power

Pure FreeBSD system running on a PCEngines APU2c2 board and custom case. It has 3 intel IGB network cards and the processor supports AES-NI. The board itself supports mini pci-e cards and a slot for a SIM card. Boots from a SD card in default read only root file system (/var and /tmp are memory file systems).

Firewall is PF. There are also some Netgraph rules for IGMP (no igmpproxy needed). Unbound does the DNS caching. Has two instances of OpenVPN working.

Those boards are the best hobbyist router systems you can get.

1. Linksys EA7300 - Planning on upgrading it to a cisco 2911 or an ASR 901
2. Vanilla latest was thinking of trying out DDWRT
3. See #1

Virtually the same setup only running OpenBSD and using OpenIKED for the VPN

1) Apple AirPort Time Capsule
2) fuck i know

That was my first choice but I need IGMP for TV and igmpproxy has been broken and unstable for Open and FreeBSD for a while. I was able to bridge the relevant interfaces using a netgraph script made by a russian dude.

I don't like either of these protocols and configurations but was able to isolate the TV boxes along with everything IOT shit on a separate VLAN.

I'm also using 2 TP-Link AC1750 with OpenWRT as "switches".

What's Sup Forumss opinion on Ubiquiti? I'm thinking about getting their gateway + AP. Alternatively, how viable is running Pfsense in a VM?

>1) What router do you own?
Asus AC68U
>2) What firmware do you run on it?
Merlin
>3) Have you considered switching to business-grade routing?
Considered, yeah but I haven't actually done so. This router and this firmware do everything I want, including full Gbit NAT throughput in my use cases (torrents, Steam, etc). A separate box running pfSense would mean I have to pay for it and it will surely use more power than this integrated router, which means it would drain my UPS faster in a power outage too. I don't really need anything that the router I have doesn't already do.

Do some reading next time you fucking idiot.
community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT32x-and-WRT3200ACM-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1246764

Probably going to be a recall on these pieces of shit.

pfSense in a VM is great given at least two physical NICs to play with. Single NIC edge devices are gayer than a pride parade through Apple headquarters. The only thing to watch out for with pfSense in a VM is the power use and noise of the VM host.

1) See pic
2) See pic
3) Not really.