What the fuck is the deal with HDR?

What the fuck is the deal with HDR?

A pixel is a pixel! You can't just claim that some prop display tech would change this somehow and deliver something improved from the video output. It's not like it's some meme instagram filters, right?

I'm fuckin' confus here. Help my poo-brain

I'm no expert but I've certainly had panels can't can't display the same range of colors as other ones.

LCD technology, being inherently shit, cropped the light range of colors it used since it couldn't even display them
HDR adds them back into the standard, now that LCD is about 10% less shit than it was in early 2000s

HDR requires hardware supported displays. Their pixels are better. Software support lets the card tell the display that it understands how to use those better pixels and here's a data stream using the proper format to utilize them.

You also need to record the content with HDR-capable capture devices.

an a press is an a press. you can't say its only a half

Look at this fucking retard

Just a buzzword op,seriously ive seen 4K HDR and it was fucking nothing.

a pixel's a pixel

where's hdr in that color space?

thats true though
Anyone saying otherwise is playing ya

What would happen if you'd play HDR media on an unsupported device?

It wont display the full range of color.

Pic related

But really, what happened to lcd technology so that they could delivier this improvement?

You don't even understand what HDR is on a basic level. It's entirely about brightness, not colour itself. Panels in (good) HDR sets are far, far brighter than you'd ever want them to be for watching SDR content. This allows them to run at a much lower general brightness, but also choose small areas to ramp up to silly levels like 2000 nits to make those areas stand out. That's what HDR is, entirely.

Colour has little to do with it, beyond the standard for HDR Premium being a 10-bit panel, allowing it to actually display a billion colours or whatever the number is. You also need either OLED or FALD to properly make these tiny areas pop without affecting the picture around them. Many cheap "HDR" sets have 8-bit panels and edge-lit local dimming (or none at all), and are essentially a marketing scam. They accept HDR signals, but don't display them anything like how they're supposed to look.

So it's meme-speak for "improved contrast"?

>TJ "Henry" Yosh

Not exactly. HDR doesn't really deal with black levels at all. It's entirely about making bright areas "pop". Obviously this is even more impact when you have deep black levels contrasting it, but that's handled by other technologies (OLED's self-illuminating pixels or FALD).

Personally, I think HDR is massively overrated. It IS visually impressive in certain scenarios (especially in video games), but it's not something that I feel is in any way essential. I could easily live without it (and do in most cases, since there's still so little HDR content, relatively speaking). The general quality of the TV when handling SDR content is still far more important.

>especially in video games
Name one game that benefits from HDR and dont say gay boy fantasy 15.

Horizon: Zero Dawn and Infamous: Last Light are the two that impressed me the most. The former especially, but the neon effects really do look nice in Infamous compared to SDR (and it's easy to compare, since you can toggle it on and off at will).

Holy shit so the neon lights actually improved these walking simulators that call themselves games?
please I haven't seen one game that is build around HDR that is able to take the tech on the proper level,the ones you listed are all games that added HDR as an after though.
The key word here is "the picture looks different".

>two action games
>walking simulators
are you retarded, or just baiting? how do you even build a game around hdr? whats wrong with adding it in afterward? it's fucking color not a game mechanic

Those are real weird games to level the "walking simulator" meme at. Infamous especially, which is somewhat more similar to Crackdown than Dear Esther. You seem very angry and determined to start an argument with me despite the fact that we (apparently) broadly agree on HDR being overrated, so I'll leave you to it.

But incidentally, Horizon was developed with HDR in mind. It wasn't patched in later.

>how do you even build a game around hdr?
By not flipping a switch after 6 months of release and calling it a feature of the said game.

You are wrong and you should feel bad.
I have nothing more to say to you stupid cunt.