Hey Sup Forums, brainlet here...

Hey Sup Forums, brainlet here, so I downloaded the ubuntu ISO (this is a big thing for me because I only have 40GB of data every month) and was preparing to switch but then I realized that usb_modeswitch, although supports the V&PID of my modem, doesn't actually do shit when you actually try to use it, as if it was unsupported

the modem is a D-Link DWR-510

I opened an ask ubuntu question asking how to implement a fix I found on the depths of the internet and someone instead gave me instructions on how to do everything and at the end of a long discussion basically told me I need to buy a new modem

which I think is absolute fucking bullshit (also because I can't afford to do that at this moment or in the near future)

here is the question:
askubuntu.com/questions/992293/how-to-add-patch-file-code-to-usb-modeswitch-and-add-support-for-3g-usb-modem

the instructions he wrote for me are there, I followed them all and it didn't work, does anyone have any ideas on how I can configure support for my USB modem on ubuntu?

Other urls found in this thread:

symfony.fi/page/openwrt-rooter-multi-wan-with-huawei-e5377-linksys-e3000
prnt.sc/hw50f4).
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_3G_Modem#Network_Manager).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install Gentoo.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Are you sure it's plugged in?

you plug your modem into your pc with usb?

Probably a 3g/4g dongledoodler.

Take a look at these instructions (using the parameters for your device of course). You can ignore pretty much everything until the json file presented there, as it doesn't apply to you.

symfony.fi/page/openwrt-rooter-multi-wan-with-huawei-e5377-linksys-e3000
Forgot the link, classic.

Just took a look at how more recent versions of usb-modeswitch are configured, and it seems pretty much nothing stated there still holds true. Instead the configuration file is located at /etc/usb_modeswitch.setup and doesn't seem to be json. Try appending the parameters you found at the end of that using the format of previous entries in the file.

Although for me at least the patch you mentioned is already included in the config by default (usb_modeswitch 2.5.2-1 under Arch Linux).

Here's what it looks like for me.
$ cat /etc/usb_modeswitch.setup | grep DWR-510 -A13 -B1
#######################################################
# D-Link DWR-510
#
# Contributor: Nicolas Carrier

DefaultVendor= 0x2001
DefaultProduct=0xa805

TargetVendor= 0x2001
TargetProduct= 0x7e12

MessageContent="5553424308407086000000000000061b000000020000000000000000000000"

#######################################################

I have a 40gb a month data cap and I've already downloaded the 1.5GB ubuntu ISO I don't want to use any more data and gentoo doesn't look beginner / brainlet friendly
yes I have and yes it is
yes it's called a dongle
this
I was literally about to rub my temples in confusion, thanks I have the ISO burned on my flash drive I'll boot it up and see if this works
this is what I thought, also according to some random website I found while researching this that listed all the VID PID and message identifiers that the usb_modeswitch version ubuntu had it also supports my device
yeah that looks exactly like some random webpage I found that listed exactly that for ubuntu and the same contributor guy that made it

So, how exactly is it not working? I assume you aren't able to access the internet, but is the modeswitching really the reason for that?

What interfaces does ip link for example mention with the 3G modem plugged in? Paste the whole output if possible.

So just to be clear I boot up ubuntu, open terminal and type:

>etc/usb_modeswitch.setup
>{
"messages" : [
"5553424308407086000000000000061b000000020000000000000000000000",
],
"devices" : {
"2001:7e12": {
"*": {
"t_vendor": 8193,
"t_product": [ 32274 ],
"no_driver": true,
"msg": [ 0 ]
}
},
}
}

and it should start working?

should I change devices from 2001:7e12 to 2001:a805 or just leave it as I edited it?
I will run it copy the info and come back here and paste it in different stages of the fix attempt

Gentoo is a meme, but so are dongles

if you don't want a noob linux you could try and find another distro but I've never had a dongle so I dunno which

No for the first part. As I mentioned here (), it seems that things don't work like that in modern versions of usb_modeswitch. What you could do is verify that your version has support for your device (first line of , without the dollar sign) and then start debugging with .

ok so basically forget everything I just read and paste ip link log file

got it

I'm going dark brb

ok so ip link reads this:

1: lo: mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp3s0: mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 14:18:77:9f:01:63 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlp4s0: mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 48:45:20:8b:c0:b8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

this is without touching anything and just plugging in the dongle

And I assume your PC has WiFi and a LAN port? In that case it does indeed look like it's either a problem with modeswitching or perhaps something to do with the drivers for the device after it has modeswitched. If you don't have a LAN port though, then the modeswitch seems to have been succesful (interface enp3s0 could be the stick, but it's probably just a NIC on the device itself).

Now that I took a closer look at the askubuntu link you posted I can see you had it at least recognized at one point (prnt.sc/hw50f4). Was this happening only on the live CD or also after you installed the system? Perhaps you don't even have usb_modeswitch installed on your newly installed system, but the liveCD had it? I feel like I'm missing some crucial data here.

yes my PC has a wifi and lan port

and it was happening on the live CD, but only once, and any other time I tried to boot up on separate instances using the live CD it wouldn't recognize it again for some reason

Could I get the output of usb_modeswitch --version and cat /etc/usb_modeswitch.setup | grep DWR-510 -A13 -B1?

loading up live CD now brb

ok so here's what both commands read with the dongle plugged in:

* usb_modeswitch: handle USB devices with multiple modes
* Version 2.2.5 (C) Josua Dietze 2015
* Based on libusb1/libusbx

! PLEASE REPORT NEW CONFIGURATIONS !

cat: /etc/usb_modeswitch.setup: No such file or directory

bump

Ok. I guess the /etc/usb_modeswitch.setup is either specific for Arch then or introduced in a later version of usb_modeswitch (running 2.5.2 here). I do also see the file /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/2001:a805 that N0rbert alters in the "patch" he provides at askubuntu and it doesn't actually seem to containt the needed message for modeswitching.

This leads me to believe that you should be able to get modeswitching to work just by applying said patch. After patching and replugging the USB modem you should confirm a succesful modeswitch by checking if ip link displays a new interface. Now you should be in the situation you where at in that earlier screenshot.

After that you'll just have to figure out how your network manager handles the actual mobile connection. From a quick look around it seems that Ubuntu uses Network Manager, which I'm sadly not familiar with, but which should be pretty easy to figure out at least according to the Arch wiki (of course your package names will be different and I'd bet most of these will be installed by default, which only leaves you with configuration wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_3G_Modem#Network_Manager).

A quick search around (try terms like "3g modem network manager", perhaps throw Ubuntu in there) indicates that it might have some bugs, but I hope you'll be able to figure it out.

This thread is also a fine example of how many differences there are between Linux distributions due to configuration file differences and software version missmatches.

What a waste of time. I hope you'll at least manage to make it work in the end, even if I missunderstood your problem and provided advice that isn't actually relevant for the system you're running.

holy fucking shit, I've been at this for 7 days now and nobody can help fix this and it's just a stupid fucking dongle thing that's supposed to already be supported

try linux, way better operating system than any other operating system, why would you use windows? what a shitty operating system, mac? what are you a hipster aNd a retard?

this is literally why I'm on windows because of how frustratingly hard it is, impossible it seems and long it takes to literally fucking just modeswitch a USB dongle

so...is this it? I just have to continue using winshit as the Sup Forums Sup Forums masters of arch linux can't figure out why the hell this damn thing just won't USB modeswitch?

I literally came here because the fix n0rbert on ask ubuntu and everything I did including tampering with network manager gave me didn't work
I literally want to hang myself

It probably IS _modeswitching_ just fine with the patch though, so they actually answered your original question at askubuntu. What doesn't seem to work is using the interface via your _network manager_, namely Network Manager, although this is hard to tell as I only have one screenshot to go by and have no personal experience with said software as I've always used netctl. I don't even know what the settings look like by default, or what you changed before you took that screenshot. Which by the way I only found after expanding it to show all comments. You aren't making this too easy to debug, but that is somewhat understandable since you're new to Linux. You need to be more exact when describing the problems you are facing and when detailing what steps you have taken in trying to make it work. No one can help you with lacking information.

Get your system to the same state as it was in that screenshot and then someone might be able to help you in configuring Network Manager after you show what settings you were using in that picture.

Obviously you haven't had the best experience with Linux so far. There is no shame in just sticking with Windows if you feel like going with GNU/Linux isn't worth it. Just don't become a Linux hater because you had one bad experience with it.