Speaker thread

How are these close range? Good for desktop use? Sexy af and might be part of my end game setup.

Other urls found in this thread:

jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series-mkii#.WlQNbXUo_qB
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1381116-REG/jbl_305p_mkii_powered.html
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1381121-REG/jbl_306p_mkii_powered.html
ebay.com/itm/Alesis-3630-Stereo-Compressor-Limiter-gate-with-power-adapter/172585244664?hash=item282ee1d7f8:g:RokAAOSwdGFY0ATC
youtube.com/watch?v=oxtz9bbh2mI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just recently got some and they are fucking amazing, best speakers I've ever used

I have them on my desk hooked up to a behringer a 500 and cma600i

I have them and they are really good close range. Don't toe them in too much, and the wider apart you can spread them the better. I am upgrading to horn loaded speakers im a week tho... I'll kiss their punchy fast in your face bass and the way the music attacks you l, unlike the more realistic laid back Brit-fi or even horn sound, but at the same time, once you go horns you won't go back...

Ps. They cannot handle below 75hz, but, the bass frequencies they do cover they cover really well.. bass is super tight and clean sounding. If you listen to a loT of subbass music, and watch movies u 100% need a sub. Oh and you need a GOOD amp if you get These...

Might be good, but god damn they are ugly. Look at qacoustics 3010 or 3020 if you want aesthetic speakers.

What Model are these ?

Good feedback. I was gonna pair it was a schiit vidar, saga, mani, and modi. Looking to make an all schiit system.

Mostly listen to Prog, metal, and movie soundtracks but I already intended to get one at some point.

KEF ls50

Ty

Neumann KH 420, nothing compares

Bought some of these a couple of days ago. Nice looking in walnut and sound a lot more expensive than they are. Pretty compact, will fit on a standard shelf. Driving them with a cheapo chinkshit compact Amp for now.

Make sure to get a good subwoofer, I feel that they need it, I use a SVS SB-1000

Sexy but out of my price range. Like the most I want to spend on this system is 2000 or so and thats with getting shit over the course of a couple years.

No doubt. I was thinking SVS also. They pair well I take it?

How are the SVS Ultra bookshelfs? Was looking at those also.

ugh, why
>I have shit taste in music
oh ok
good taste

What should I get for around 300-400 euro? speakers(active or passive) or open headphones? I need something for a small room. I dont want to fuck with the neighbors can I still get speakers and just use lowish volume? or are they designed for loudness?
Im specifically thinking of:
active speakers jbl lsr 305 + some audio interface or passive speakers like kef q100 + smsl 50 amp and some cheap dac like fiio d3
or open headphones like akg k712 pro + O2 amp + cheap dac like fiio d3.

Which would you recommend the most?

lol not here to discuss that. I'm a schiit fan and I have ocd about my equipment matching. But musical tastes are subjective! Not big into electronic music.

>if you don't like king crimson and hans zimmer it follows you must be into EDM
can we stop now? sorry I brought it up

lol wasn't an attack on you! Was stating I'm not big into electronic music.

But yes please lets not.

jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series-mkii#.WlQNbXUo_qB

How much are they going to be?

305p are 149 each
306p are 199 each
308p are 249 each

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1381121-REG/jbl_306p_mkii_powered.html

Are there passive ones? I prefer passive. I'm old school.

They sound like shit for 1.3k dollars.

What do you recommend? SVS Ultra is also another I'm looking at.

looks like two buttholes

theyre powered monitors

what kind of device did you drive them with
they need high current amplifiers

>looks like two buttholes
They didn't until I read this post. lel

What is a good audio interface to use if I want to be able to run multiple input sources into the speakers?

itt: pajeets post imaginary possessions and accolades based on speculation

Mines are focal alpha 80 and their bass sound like in club maybe more powerful if i want no sub needed

i have these, they're nice
got them as a gift years ago

My normie brother wants a bluetooth speaker for his birthday, are there any that meet this thread's standards without being too expensive? Many look like cheap garbage to me.

Mine are Behringer B300 + B1800X Pro subs. Sounds good for gaming, and I can EQ them pretty much any way I want without running out of headroom in any frequency.

Those are great music speakers backed up by a good receiver/amp, but don't seem appropriate for desktop use. They look fucking great though but you can easily get good looking and great sounding desktop speakers for 1/3 the price of those

Just got a call from the store informing me that the JBL305s are being discontinued and that they can't get them to me
Any good alternatives?

>JBL
Fucking normies... LEAVE THIS PLACE IMMEDIATELY!

But the Adams sounded like shit

How necessary is a subwoofer? I have two HS8. Do I really need them for a home setup?

someone shoop a goatsy already

Mackie MR624

>Mackie MR624
Hmm these look interesting, however they're at the same price as the HS8s (750 AUD)
At that price would it still be worth it to go with them, or wait a little longer so I can afford an amp + HS8

Oh wait I thought the HS8 were passive
In that case, scratch that last bit

Klipsch

maybe theyre overpriced in your region theyre 400$ in the US
idk how the conversion works just get something thats not overpriced

why isn't this the main theme of their reviews
>the puckerhole 5000
>if it's too stretched out, your money back!

Yeah 400 USD is about 500 AUD so I'm getting hit with $250 extra
I'll keep looking

When it comes to speakers you normies buy the dumbest fucking shit I swear.

adam audio undoubtedly is some of the dumbest shit on the market, yes

Klipsch R-15M or KEF Q100 as room speakers?

I have a chance to get a set of the pictured self-powered monitors for basically no cost at all, anyone else out there have these and care to comment? I know they're not wall shakers, and they'll be used basically along with my laptop (yes, maggots, a ThinkPad) at home while it rests on the docking station.

I care about audio quality, not quantity, not heavy fucking thumpin' bass, crazy insane disproportionate highs, etc, hence me looking for something like these at a decent price and damned near free is about as good a price as anyone can hope for.

I've read other reviews, they're here and there, just wanted to know if anyone around here might have some or have experience with them. They've got to be better than casual POS "computer speakers" so if that's the case I'm sure they'll be more than capable for me, mostly for audio production work, music tastes are 80s and classic rock with movie soundtracks and some classical thrown in for good measure.

>buying anything other than english speakers

>english but not spendor,atc or pmc
ew

unless you're doing audio work with them, they're going to be shit for movies and stuff because they're too sensitive, it'll be way too quiet at the quiet parts and way too loud at the loud parts.

unless you're doing audio work, get regular desktop speakers and you'll enjoy them much more.

>Buying anything other than glorious JBLs with 15" woofers and blasting psytrance so the whole room shakes

i did this for a long time, with a 4000 watt qsc amp

I love you. What made you stop?

Any recommendations around the price of the HS series?

i walked halfway across the country because i was in a really super shitty situation and there was nothing left to do, so i sold the amp and speakers as well as my 100 watt tube halfstack. i'm sure i compromised the structural integrity of that garage with db.

not really, i don't know the desktop speaker market, i just know that buying studio monitors if you're not intending to use them for audio or music work is a bad idea. i have to run my yamaha hs5's through a compressor and EQ to watch movies through them.

>it'll be way too quiet at the quiet parts and way too loud at the loud parts
how exactly does a speaker contribute to that?

sensitivity. and xmax @ freq @ db if you want to get technical.

but how does sensitivity change the dynamic range? so a lower sensitivity rating compresses the dynamic range or what are you saying?

Yes, more is better
Elaborate. What you are saying is wrong. A speaker does not automatically give the music a wider dynamic range, only dynamic capabilities.

>I have shit taste in music
>oh ok
What's wrong with progressive rock? Please sage if you decide to answer.

the more sensitive your speaker is, and amp for that matter when you're discussing active studio monitors, the wider the range of expressed volumes will be that encompass the range of input signal.

so unless you're either A. reproducing music or film audio in a venue setting where the minimum volume is still clearly audible by the entire crowd or B. producing music or film audio in a studio setting where the greater the detail in volume you have available the more fine the adjustments you can make to the material...

you are better off with a system designed for personal consumption purposes, such as a desktop speaker system or a home theater system.

So what you are referring to in other words is the difference in gain on the monitors and sub

no

Don't know how they work close range, they should be better than most normal speakers that aren't designed for near field. I owned the KEF R900 for 2-3years and bought them mostly based on the coaxial, and was very close on buying the Reference 1 or 3 just 2 months ago.The coaxial gives a very good coherence to the sound image and sounds like one point.

do what you want

What's an upgrade to the LSR305? I look at expensive speakers and they all have shit FR. Anyone have some flat measuring speakers that would be an upgrade?

just buy this too and learn how to use it and you'll be fine, but you'll have to adjust it every time you change the volume settings.

ebay.com/itm/Alesis-3630-Stereo-Compressor-Limiter-gate-with-power-adapter/172585244664?hash=item282ee1d7f8:g:RokAAOSwdGFY0ATC

so you're changing the input voltage to achieve that

I have a $300-400 headphone setup, at what price point would speakers match or surpass that? Mostly out of curiosity, I'm enough of a poorfag to not be comfortable dishing out for two separate setups right now

kh120

Why not the JBL 7series or Genelecs if you want monitors?

so when you turn it down so it's not too loud when something explodes in your movie, you can't hear soft dialogue. so when you turn it up so you can hear the soft dialogue, you jump out of your skin at a sudden loud noise that hurts your ears.

you'll be riding the volume knob the entire time. i've seen friends who just got some studio monitors even though they record a guitar song once a month through a 100 dollar usb interface doing this without understanding exactly why they had to do it.

you will be riding the volume knob like a studio engineer in order to have a pleasant audio experience with movies and youtube, less so with music because most music winds up being fairly sausaged out anyways.

You can't really compare them. How good a speaker setup sounds depends a lot on the acoustics. And listening to speakers is also a physical experience unlike headphones.

There are 2 things in a monitor that decides the level, and that's the gain of the amplifier and sensitivity of the speakers, just like any "normal" "home-setup". It's the same thing, apart from everything being put into one box instead of two or more

>How good a speaker setup sounds depends a lot on the acoustics.
As in, if my room is shit, I won't be able to get good value out of my speakers?

>listening to speakers is also a physical experience unlike headphones
What the fuck did he mean by this

I just wish they weren't so ugly.

>listening to speakers is also a physical experience unlike headphones
>What the fuck did he mean by this
It means when you move, what you hear changes

if you are not actively and often producing or mixing audio, do not get studio monitors.

because some manufacturer put the amp in the same cabinets and labeled them studio monitors?

Ah so it's shit for games and movies then

Quite the contrary, I'm not the user who initially replied to you but Speakers generally give you by far the best experience in movies, and games run well on them too
Speakers also tend to do very well with music but aren't quite as intimate as Headphones can be

ok, get studio monitors.

i assure you, there is no difference between studio monitors and desktop speakers whatsoever.

you will be immensely satisfied 100% guaranteed. and you've got lots of money anyways and even if you did waste them by getting something not designed for your intended use-case, it won't be a problem for you at all. but that won't happen, because sound systems don't actually have intended use cases.

enjoy your studio monitors. you've made the right decision.

Exactly, if you have a bad room then you will be hearing a lot of it. It can be resonances that amplifies or kills some frequencies, it can be echo/reflections that totally kills the sound image.

With speakers you can feel the sound pressure. Like a kicking bass. When I turn up the volume I can feel the bass in my cloths and hair.

Maybe you're right about movies but for a game wouldn't you want the sound to be constant regardless of how you move around in your chair?

moving your head side to side won't be a big deal in all but the most anal of monitor setups, oh wait, why are you playing video games through studio monitors???????????

How can I know whether my room is good for speakers though?

take a course in architectural acoustics

youtube.com/watch?v=oxtz9bbh2mI
This

pls respond

Most people only have a single pair of speakers

turns out I had 'studio monitors' next to my tv in the living room all along and there's studios using hifi speakers
I'm confused

those aren't room speakers. those are monitors. they're for monitoring. not rooming.

not helping

Been lurking here for a few hours now, I was under the impression that Studio Monitors worked well for everything
What should I be looking for if my intended use is Movies and Music? Online reviews only ever recommend studio gear