How often do you reapply thermal paste?

How often do you reapply thermal paste?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

every 3 hours

5 years

never. Liquid metal pastes do not require change, unless you take off the heatsink.

in the morning, before leaving for work

After every meal

Every 3,000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first.

When I run the dishwasher anyhow.

if you use cpu monitor heat sensor ( for example you can add this on lxpanel ) after several years during summer and gayming it got too hot and I reapplied it..
I have my laptop 6 years and changed paste only once..!

I bought my t420 used.
eventually it started hitting 70+ degrees.

reapplied paste and started getting 30 degree temps. it felt so GOOD aunt diane

>forgot to apply my winter paste

Every 35 000 km, because new synthetic thermal pastes can last longer, that convencional ones.

Without joking: as soon, as CPU overheats. 3 years or so

Once a week, maybe twice if I didn't cum enough the first time

No

I just occasionally check core temps and when it seems like they are higher than what they usually are, I replace.
so couple of years on average

never? i only overheated once and that was because summer + heatsink fan broke

YOU NEED TO REAPPLY THEM ?

WTF

Once every year for desktops or once every year or two for laptops. Helps a little bit in desktops with maybe a 5F difference and in laptops I see a big difference, sometimes up to 15F, since they run so fucking hot all the time when you use them as mobile workstations. For some laptops like my ThinkPad X230 that I use just for programming and emails and shitposting I repaste every 2-3 years.

I applied mine 9 years ago.

When i clean up my PC. So about half the time before i buy anew one.

Right after I cum in my own mouth.

enjoy a frozen cpu. as a matter of fact i sell antifreeze cpu paste for good prices, interested?

So i had a 6300 for 5 years without changing the stock paste

Never. I don't even turn my pc off unless something has to be replaced.

whenever I build a new machine

I just use what comes with the next cooler I buy and clean off the old stuff.

Two or three times a year, when I wash my mobo

I do however clean the dust on the sink grills of cpu and gpu maybe once a year and it does make a ddifference

Been using my current paste for two and a half years, temps are still good. It's Arctic MX4 which is allegedly supposed to last for a long time. No idea how true that is. Before that I used the paste that came with my Hyper 212+ for 4 years and three months and I never had temp problems, only had to change it because new CPU.

When i buy the computer then never

Whenever I need to touch it, which is whenever I replace the CPU or cooler and that's not exactly very often. Think I've re-applied the thermal paste once and that was because the maker of the machine uses stuff that dries up pretty badly after a few years.

10 years.

Every 15 years. Not that I need to do that anyways.

When I get a new motherboard.

Every reboot, its the only proper way. Once it heats up and cools it changes its chemical makeup and becomes less effective.

Every cycle

Every two years. Dust it once in a while.

>apply thermal paste
>let it sink in for 5-10 minutes
>carefully clean CPU with warm tap water
>let it dry at room temperature
>start up computer

this, for all time.

No point if your temps are fine under load.

I don't. Heat sink is too painful to put on

Every few days, to ensure I get maximum performance at all times.

Never.

6 times a day is a bit much

Everytime I get a (You)

Never.

Metal to metal is obviously the best way to transfer heat. Not metal to liquid to metal. Literally adding 50% more medium to transfer through. Been doing this for about fifteen years now with only two fires and saved myself about $20 in useless thermal paste.

You're technically not wrong kek

I've only ever changed it when changing CPUs/heatsinks. I'd assume it's technically possible to just put the heatsink back with the old paste - I mean that's OEM paste works, only a bit more carefully preapplied - but my autism never let me.

I do it at least once a month

once a month

Paste is there to fill in the micro imperfections in the metals to maximize heat transfer.

/thread

what's thermal paste?

5+ years, only when I notice average temp climbing

No, is precaution to keep CPU alive longer. No guarantee it'll last longer whether you change the paste or not.

Have at it

never

if done correctly, never. so never.

Depends what kind and what kind of load you put on it. I put my PC together 3 years ago with a 4790k and a stock cooler, I took it off to put on a custom cooler last week and the paste was ALMOST gone.

this, 1 year later have the same temps pretty amazing. CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra Thermal Compound the best

do you use liquid metal only if you delid or can you actually use it like regular thermal paste?

I guess if you can it would be a good idea to do it on your laptop too.

Regular thermal paste in a laptop and external gpu.
I don't have desktop, but I don't see a reason why I shouldn't use it there if I had it.
Just make sure to not use it with aluminium heatsinks. The part that touches CPU has to be made of cooper, or otherwise it will react and partially melt aluminium.

Every 5 years

Nigga if you have to replace your thermal paste then you're using old af hardware. But if you're the type that holds onto your hardware for that long then I'd say 5-7 years is a good time to reapply.

I never changed the paste on my desktop since I built it in 2011.
Prime95 now reaches 95°C on a stock clocked i5.

will it work for my mac

He keeps asking, you keep delivering.

after the metal day

Someone did the spread on a CPU that I replaced for someone.
Anything other than a dot, an X, or a line and the... THING applying it needs to be shot.

When I upgrade. Could be from half a year to 3 years I guess.
You don't even need to bother, dried paste is a meme. It actually dries quite fast but there's no difference if your chip runs with dried path for a year or 5. It's pretty much normal and dried paste conducts heat pretty much same.

I did that once with athlon 64 X2. I wouldn't recommend that though since when you do this there will be air bubbles for sure so the area of contact between cpu and heatsink will decrease.
Also thermal paste is one thing but the thing intel puts in their cpus is something else. I remember my old 3450 running 45 C max at load. After a year and a half the idle temps rose to 50 C and it reached 80 C at load. And reapplying thermal paste made 0 difference, looks like the thing in the cpu degraded (probably from heating/cooling cycles).

>remove old paste
>some of it gets in the fucking CPU socket and sticks there
>PC boots up fine after the second try

>remove old paste from laptop CPU and GPU
>only comes off in very hard and tiny pieces
>shit flies everywhere and gets stuck inside the fucking laptop
>GPU has microscopic SMD components that are buried in the old paste, somehow they didn't break off when I removed it

This is why i never use metal paste

Clean the heatsink, it's most likely the dust.
Also old core throttle precisely at 95 C so you can't really measure the heat at that mark.

>remove old paste
>paste everywhere, blocked the gap in the glue keeping textolite and heatspreader together (that gap is for equalizing the pressure)
>have to remove CPU to clean it properly
>it's fucking LGA
>fuck up the socket pins
>put everything back
>first memory channel broke
I fucking hate LGA. There is no excuse for jews who made it.
It didn't even boot when I assembled it next time (had to check it before dumping to a friend of mine) so I had to spend a hour or two fixing the shit with a toothpick. I was mad on the verge of losing consciousness and I can't remember how the fuck did I manage that but it finally did boot with every feature working.
I fucking hate disposable LGA garbage and planned obsolescence in general.

Every 6 months.

but user, the thermal paste which came with noctua cooler is still doing well after 4 years...

Every year during spring clean up. I clean up the entire system, dust it free and reseat it

Never. I5 2320 stock heatsink and paste, idles around 29 and under full load probably around 65-75. And my laptop, amazingly, never gets that hot so I don't worry about it.

My shitty vaio with 2320 is a throttling housefire, you must be lucky

Monday afternoon, right after defragging my SSDs. Don't forget to reset your GPU at the same time.

More often if you game regularly.

>run my pc for 5 years
>try reapplying it
>the old paste was still like new

So I guess 5 years is too often.
Astually the paste promissed 12 years of service

My MX-4 was just fine after 5 years

I have been using MX-4 for some time now, mostly happy af about it. Allthough, last time i cleaned mah computer (2 months ago) i removed the heatsink and
the paste was more liquid then when i originally applied it. Did i apply too much of this warmth suckingspitting goo? Sometimes my rig runs like 4 days straight.

I prefer LGA over AMD's solution.

Yes, but it will cost you extra

Right before every summer
>Australia btw

Well you must be special

Also, TR4 socket uses LGA style connector

It's literally doesn't matter.
youtube.com/watch?v=r2MEAnZ3swQ

I always see Aussies bitching about "muh summer heat". Do you faggots not have A/C?

not in the outback.

How the fuck do you sleep at night then with it being so hot? How do you function on a day to day basis?

That's not an issue because you are not supposed to reassemble server hardware. It's actually disposable.

Wait... AMD is still on PGA?

Never.

2^n years

very carefully

Once every couple years, depending on what kind of maintainence I'm doing

when it starts overheating so badly that it triggers the temp shutdown thing.

I only reapply if i take the heatsink off for whatever reason.