Portable media players

Are the latest SanDisk e.g. Clip Jam media players any good? Sup Forumsentoomen were always raving about the discontinued Sansa Clip...or is the answer to go chinkshit?

MP3 player general I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansa_e200_series
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's great. I have one and love it. Drag and drop music on to it. Has an FM radio.

iirc the Jam can't be Rockboxed

This. Zip was the last proper Sansa PMP.

Unless you're going for sounds quality there is really no use or market for portable players anymore.
All new models being made are geared towards lossless audio files such as FLAC.
There are still new "old style" players being made, but they're literally the same thing we had 10 years ago and you're better off buying an older used one.

>Unless you're going for sounds quality there is really no use or market for portable players anymore.
I'm considering one because I hate connecting my phone via bluetooth with my car, it never auto-recognizes it.

I can just leave this thing connected to power and aux in the center console.

in that case literally anything will work for you. "quality" of classic style mp3 players is a meme. just figure out what style of controls you want and look on eBay. If you're willing to spend more get an iPod classic, you're not going to get better than that.

>Sup Forumsentoomen were always raving about the discontinued Sansa Clip

i remember finding a sansa clip still new in the packaging i had in storage since 2006. I was about to throw it away, but decided to see if it was worth anything on ebay. Sold that bitch for close to $100.

Bless you Sup Forumsentoomen and your random ass memes.

>in that case literally anything will work for you. "quality" of classic style mp3 players is a meme. just figure out what style of controls you want and look on eBay.
Older shit doesn't support anywhere near as much storage as newer shit (with the exception of players like the iPod and Zune that used hard drives with the IDE standard interface). I have multiple old Sansa players with one only supporting up to 3 GB and the other being expandable to 10 GB. Also, some old players that don't have any sort of playlist or sort by ID3 tag support and the best you can do is try to make folders for each band/album, and some don't even allow you to navigate folders on the device so you're still stuck flipping through every song if you want to listen to a particular song. Unless you wan to drop the money to mod an iPod/Zune or need to have an MP3 player that can run on AAA batteries no matter how little storage you get, I can't really recommend just grabbing any older player.

If you're playing mp3s there's really no need for more than ~5 gigs.
Unless here's willing to pay an absolutely unnecessary amount just for storage, at which point he'd be better off with an iPod classic.

>If you're playing mp3s there's really no need for more than ~5 gigs.
That's just about 1300 songs at 3.75 MB per song. Maybe if you're content with just having a few songs to a couple albums from each of the bands you like, or have really narrow tastes. I passed 5 GB a while ago and I'm still trying to limit myself to just a couple albums per band on my MP3 player. I'm personally looking at upgrading right now because the 10 GB that my current MP3 player can be upgraded to isn't enough and I'd like a player that I could dump pretty much every album by all the bands I like onto.

most people are willing to rotate music every few weeks.
regardless I already said that if he does personally need more storage an iPod classic is his best bet.
really not trying to argue

>if he does personally need more storage an iPod classic
There has to be something newer out there that would work just as well for this and isn't audiofool meme tier.

the market for "regular mp3 players" is really slim these days and 99% is chink shit, the rest seems to be over priced for what you're actually getting.
idk what you have against the iPod classic it's a sturdy build and can be upgraded at will.

plus the best control system ever

>idk what you have against the iPod classic
It's just that they come close to $100 for a used iPod+and SD card adapter board, before counting the price of the SD card. There has to be something out there that can compete at or below that price point considering how old the iPods are now.

not if you want the memory size discussed earlier (not sure if it was with you)
if you're cool with a small amount of gigs your choices are endless, but it's going to be chink shit.

Did you manage to forget that SD cards exist? 64 GB micro SD cards can be had for ~$25 and 128 GB micro SD cards can be had for ~$40. Newer MP3 players can use them. You no longer need a CF card size storage device or a small hard drive to store fucktons of music.

I bought a Xduoo X3 last year. I use it everyday. There is 2 sd slots, it's rockboxable and it sounds quite great for this price range.

But no screen, so no cover art.

>There is 2 sd slots
>But no screen
Why? At what point do you have enough music that you need 2 SD cards, but not enough music to need a way to select what you want to listen to?

I have a phone. It works great, also I can make calls and surf the net on it.

Oups, there is a screen but no picture display possible... Only text

He wants to spend less than 100$ on such an option. afaik there are no options that would give you the playlist/ menu functionality that you want at that price (~60$ + microsd). There are chinkshit players at that price point but they are for the most part drag and drop or have very small screens.

I still use my Sansa e-series (with Rockbox) with a 16GB mSD card. It even has a user replaceable battery.

>FM radio.
Lol ok enjoy your classic rock station mr boomer

Fuck you friendo. Classic rock is the shit.

On some more looking, I just realized the chink options today don't have a hold switch and even some $100 options like the FiiO X1 don't have a hold switch. What the fuck happened? A hold switch is a basic fucking feature that's been on portable music devices since before MP3 players. How hard is it to replicate decade+ old technology with support for moder micro SD cards? What the fuck is wrong with consumer technology failing to perform in retarded ways these days? Some of these new players seriously have a button to bring up the fucking equalizer settings as if you're going to dick around with them regularly, but lack a fucking hold switch. Why does everything have to be shit?

>He wants to spend less than 100$ on such an option
??? I am , and my complaint was the price of the iPod+the SD card adapter board before including the SD card, and that there had to be some device out there that could provide a decent UI and the ability to use modern micro SD cards for less than the price of an iPod+the SD card adapter board. Apparently I was wrong though, so I'm just going get the handle of vodka from my kitchen and try to forget this.

Any advice on replacing the battery? I haven't had much luck with my previous battery purchases for other old devices and it seems the sellers always try to list the shit as many times as possible so there aren't any reviews to go off of. Is there any way to do this that isn't just a gamble?

>On some more looking, I just realized the chink options today don't have a hold switch
my benjie t6 has a lock (hold?) switch
you can still adjust volume but the other buttons lock

after updating the firmware I only dislike that the information at the bottom for the current track shows the artist and track name in the same scrolling bar (and album below) so that I have to wait forever for the track name to come into view
And the logo splash screen takes a while to go away after turning it on (like 7-10 seconds).

I think there was a third thing that annoyed me but I forgot

Well, the e-series has 4 screws on the back. Take those out and take the back off, no prying needed. I bought a generic battery that was like 2mm shorter than the oem so I used 2 pieces of cardstock to take up the slack.

Read up.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansa_e200_series

I recommend the Sony Walkman every time these threads pop-up.

Get an A15. 40+ hour battery life, SD Support, can be Rockboxed but it's brilliant enough on stock OS. Sounds eternally better than an iPod too.
It's also still small and lightweight enough to be portable, unlike the chinkshit that just adds unnecessary bulk to make it 'robust'.