Chocolatey

>Package manager for Windows
>You can actually have a centralized way to install and update software instead of using 500 different ad-hoc upgrade solutions for each separate program
>Almost as good as ganoo slash linux
>Open Source

But also
>Sells a 'professional' version

Is it a godsend or is it botnet?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/chocolatey/choco
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're using windows. Just fucking suck Microsoft's dick and stop bitching about it and pretending you don't like it.

Hey man
just because I have no self-respect and am willing to suck one dick for the sake of muh videogames doesn't mean I want to suck an unlimited amount of dicks.

In for a penis in for a pound.

Google it. It looks fine and they had a Kickstarter campaign.
>Open source
Read the source if you think something is up and/or compile it yourself.

I never heard of it, but using package managers is great.

It's pretty good, I use it for keeping a bunch of programs up to date or pinned on a business network of 40 odd PCs.

It's a waste of time.

Waste of time? how so?
I set up a thing in the Windows task scheduler to run "choco upgrade all -y" once per week.

Then I can just e.g. "choco install libreoffice" once, and it'll automatically stay updated without me ever having to think about it again. Far better than having a "there's a new version!" popup in the corner of the document editor and then having to manually download and run an installer every new update.

Tried for a while. Its full of old unmaintained packages. You'll get tired after a while.

I like it. I really hate not having a solid package manager on windows. Unfortunately passing arguments to the installers is not very uniform, like specifying an install directory different from the default. I think the pro version does a better job at this. Being able to script installs for firefox, chrome, and whatever other random shit is nice, though. Also, you can use oneget to install chocolatey itself so you never have to do the whole
>google thing
>open website
>click link
>download executable *shudder*
thing.

Package managers are only as good as the people maintaining the repos. Look into the chocolatey repos and who is running them, then delete that shit immediately and install gentoo.

Is this the only package manager for windows? I'd rather not have to deal with updating every little thing whenever I boot into windows

>full of old unmaintained packages
so literally every package manager

>try to install a package
>for some reason it tries to install 3
>2 of them fail
>Weird errors all over the place
>nobody knows why, it's closed source
>uninstall doesn't work, install -f doesn't work
>program broken for eternity
Windows, not even once

>my package manager shouldn't install dependencies

also,
github.com/chocolatey/choco

Lmao what will you do if somebody compromises the software you're about to update retard

>dependencies
>windows

Better than nothing but it has some problems.
>very slow, no local database
>running an upgrade can sometimes reset settings
>small repo
>software install options and locations are not standardised
>broken packages are not uncommon

I tried it for a month then uninstalled it. It's not always up to date, it takes a while to work and I end up updating my software manually anyway due to the prompts they all show.

Waste of time on Windows.

Been using it for around a year

>Installs fail randomly
>Most packages outdated
>Some open source things not even available
>Most install options not exposed as parameters

This is not Debian-like quality. I ended up with like 30% of my programs correctly installable (newest version, correct install parameters) with chocolatey.

Oh and forgot:

>New CMake version?
>Congratulations, you got now two versions installed!