wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (NET ISO)
debian.org/CD/netinst/

>Void (Hipster but works)
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/

>Alpine (Pretty damn minimal)
alpinelinux.org/downloads/

Get recommendations to see if your system is bloat or not.

>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

What is software minimalism?
suckless.org/philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

Why software minimalism?
>fewer bugs
>better performance
>lower memory footprint
>better maintainability
>higher scalability
>longer software lifetime
>prompt delivery

Beginners guide to GNU/Linux minimalism

1) Get comfortable with the terminal and learn terminal commands. Practice makes perfect.

computerhope.com/unix.htm
computerhope.com/unix/overview.htm
computerhope.com/unixtop1.htm

2) Try one of the listed GNU/Linux distros inside a VM (Virtual Machine) before installing it on real hardware

3) Ask questions in the thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-pkgtools.en.html#s-apt-get
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reposting WM RAM comparison

Reposting Arch explanation:

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc.

>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream, which means they could be very unstable
>(arch vs gentoo related) arch users complain about muh compile time when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *-git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you to install a shit ton of GUI stuff you'll never need nor use
>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

Reposting autistic minimalism rant:

The thing for me when it come to this is that I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of bloat in popular applications and environments.

Let's take the picture viewer as an example. What does it do? That's right! It views pictures! We have also seen picture viewers that can run with very tiny amounts of ram, and do their job pretty well. Why then should we be using a picture viewer that does the exact same practical thing as this minimal picture viewer, but is 10+ times heavier?

I've heard this a lot, the whole "lel just get a newer computer grandpa!"
I'd like to let you know that I use minimal setups both on a 2012 Fagbook Pro, and a Xeon workstation being used as a desktop. Both of these have 16+ GB of memory.
What you have to understand is that just because we have the resources, doesn't mean it's right to use them to the limit. Why should we artificially use more resources for the same tasks just because we have the capability to do it. That's retarded. At that point we should just rewrite the kernel in electron because clearly anyone who has a problem with that just needs to download more wam.

Another key component for me is that achieving a high level of minimalism often involves switching to a vey terminal-heavy lifestyle. This is good as it provides a universal interface. The interface used to shitpost, consume content, and whatnot, is the same interface that would be used when administering a server, when configuring my NAS, when working with Amazon EC2 installations, etc.

Why do you hate keeping things simple? Why do you want things to use more resources than they have to to complete their function?

Thanks i guess, uwu fag

uwu

Old thread:

Arch pasta needs to go.

t. bloated arch faggot

Is Wayland /minimal/?

No idea. It isn't as popular as xorg.

>It isn't as popular as xorg
no shit, sherlock

>Fedora Linux
>Gnome
>MPV
>EOG
>Nautilus
>Vim and GVim
>Gnome Shell
>FF and Chromium
>URXVT

Yes, objectively so.

Recommend me a good minimal distro to pair with i3wm. I'm currently using Trisquel mini with XFCE. I've been thinking about Parabola, or just saying fuck it and going with Manjaro/i3 since it's already preconfigured. Running a T400. Advice?

Use a wm.

>Trisquel
Since you like ubuntu, go with the ubuntu mini.iso? But then again ubuntu isn't an fsf aproved distro

i3 is okay IMO. Is there a better WM that's similar to i3, although?

Parabola is a good idea.

Windows XP Requirements:
233 Mhz Pentium
64 MB RAM
Headless Debian Requirements:
1 Ghz Pentium IV
128 MB RAM

Hmmmmmmmmmm, which one is truly more (((minimalist)))?

Could you recommend a minimal fsf approved distro? I'm not really married to Trisquel, I recently switched after years of using Debian/Crunchbang.

That's what I'm thinking

dwm. It's like i3 but without the ricing shit

bspwm polybar

999 packages is minimal?

What style do you Sup Forumsuys use in Firefox?

Post print

I went straight from Ubuntu to Linux from Scratch.
Best experience ever, so glad I did it. I learned so much.

is bunsenlabs a good distro or should i better go with devuan and use bunsenlabs repos to get their customizations?

i use ubuntu since 10.04 and what they have been doing since 11.04 is a trainwreck, i hate systemd (altough i liked gnome until 3.18) i'm ready to pull the trigger and say goodbye to ubuntu and gnome trainwrecks by formatting my laptop with ubuntu gnome xenial, but before that i need another good distro to jump to and i want to stick with debian-like distros due to my lazyness to set up funtoo

>config protection is implemented in a terrible way
You what mate? Arch literally doesn't touch your config files.

>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream, which means they could be very unstable
Because Arch is for developers. If there's a bug, you fix it upstream and get the fix in less than a day, unlike Debian where you get the fix in two years.

>the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup
Clearly you haven't used computers before. That's the way it has always been done. Slackware does it, Gentoo does it. There are only two OSes that don't do this, NixOS and Guix, and they have their own problems because some applications depend on a single global environment. Oh, also Bedrock, sort of.

>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X
Install graphical application, complain that you get X. What next, buy an iPhone and complain that it comes with iOS?

Debian buster/sid
>Cinnamon
>VLC and Clementine
>shotwell
>nemo
>bash
>Firefox
>GNOME Terminal

How fucked am I?

suckless software is anything but

I'm getting started on Linux,

What are the most have tools for a comp scientist beginner fag like me

And what are Linux must reads?

kernelnewbes is a good beginner forum

>openbox eats more ram than the whole windows 95

What is the best distro that can be used by a newfag but can be expandable as he learns?

Also gnome or kde?

Try GuixSD
It’s actually made by GNU themselves.

Vim is not a graphical program. You’re probably thinking of gVim. Vim is a terminal application.

wew

You're looking for Debian. Just read this beforehand wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
For Gnome vs KDE I have no input, haven't used either that much.

I'd rather run multiple applications that use minimal resources than closing a few to run one resource intensive.

>nearly 9000 Packages
I guess I don't need to ask if my system is bloat.

>Arch longer beard than Debian
Arch is 10x simpler than Debian.

Can a Linux be made to run any game that Windows 10 can run? Performance impact can just be offset by staying behind the curve on new releases and/or buying overpowered hardware.

Not yet but it's getting there as soon as more games are using Vulkan

What should I use for heavy customization?

>Post:
>>OS
Void linux
>>DE/WM
Bspwm
>>Video/Music player
Mpv
>>Image viewer
Feh
>>File Manager
Ranger
>>Text Editor
Neovim
>>Shell
Dash+bash+fish
>>Web Browser
Vimb+chromium
>>Terminal
St

Is vulcan the equivalent to directx and opengl?

And why game devs never cared about multiplatform gaming?

I think it’s supposed to be the successor to OpenGL

vulkan is comparable to opengl/d3d in purpose, yes
made by the same group who makes the opengl standard

What do you mean? DE/WM I'm guessing?
I've been usin i3 without a DE for 2+ years now, if that matters to you. I've been meaning to look at other tiling WM options, but I just don't have the time right now.

Vulkan is a low-level graphics API that's very similar in design to Direct3D 12

There's ongoing work to transpile Direct3D 9 shaders to Vulkan automatically. When that hits WINE, old Windows games will likely run faster on Linux than on Windows.

HOW?

there's already a native d3d9 gallium tracker available for free graphics drivers, making d3d9 completely native (opengl is also implemented as a gallium tracker in modern free graphics drivers)
using this, some d3d9 games already do run faster in wine than in windows

Some fucking retard decided that it was a good Idea to split all LaTeX packages and I didn't want to spend an hour trying to figure out which I needed.
Which meant that I just downloaded 4000+ packages.

What's the name of this cli calendar/todo program?

Debian stretch
KDE
mpv/audacious(vlc if I need a playlist for videos)
Gwenview
Dolpin/mc
nano
bash(?)
Firefox ESR/Chrome
Yakuake/Konsole

Both. But since I am a n00b a DE is a must.

How can I compile firefox with the most minimalist mozconfig settings possible? Any tips?

Any advice for a minimalism beginner ? I know DEs include everything to give you a functional system but if I don't want to use a DE anymore, which applications should I use to get a functional system identical to a DE? I know about file managers and image viewers, xrandr for multi-monitor support and compton for screen tearing, other than that I'm lost.

If have installed ubuntu dualboot with win10 and now I want debian, what should I do ?
Just overwrite the ubuntu partition ?

>Just overwrite the ubuntu partition ?
Yes, just be careful when looking at which partitions you overwrite.

Yes

>which applications should I use to get a functional system identical to a DE?
You need the applications which your DE already would include and that you use regularly.

You should probably start with looking for a window manager.
There is nothing really preventing you from using parts of a DE (such as dolphin or other KDE software) in other window managers.

But there is somthing something GRUB, which I use to switch between them when I boot up, will it be automatically replaced or will I need to set it up manually ?

The fuck with OP picture? Obongo is a DeadIan's fork. How is DeadIan any harder? Or do I get the beard's length wrong?

Ubuntu is easier to use out of the box.

>will it be automatically replaced
It should happen automatically if you delete the right partitions (make sure that you delete ONLY the right partitions, do not touch the windows stuff when in doubt leave it).

In theory you will just delete all the ubuntu stuff and replace it with the debain parts, there shouldn't be a problem.

>will I need to set it up manually ?
If everything goes well no.

I would kisa you as thx but I dont think you would appreciate it.
Thank you very much, helped me solve a dilemma !

is "minimalism" antonym of "just werks"?

No Problem.
Good luck, hope everything goes well.

No, minimalism is the real "just werks".

It's calcurse

I would say some people are either forced to have clusterfuck of pc or dont have time tocset it straight so theh habe second one which needs to feel perfectly polished and elegant with which they dont do stupid shit, e.g. running rollsroyce through the jungle
At least that is it for me.

>lfs
>systemd
>dwm
>st
>mpv

do you use any package manager ? or do you just use git and compile everything you need from git repos ?

>debian
>i3
>vlc for video, audacious for music
>feh and ristretto
>thunar
>nano
>bash
>chromium
>xfce4-terminal
works for me :^)

>>vlc for video,
Biggest MEME video player of all time.
Good lord was I happy when I switched away.

> chromium
Enjoy your botnet

He's already using Debian instead of devuan

>debian
>i3
>mpv/mpd + ncmpcpp
>eye of mate
>mc/thunar
>vim
>bash
>ff nightly
>urxvt

how do you maintain your system up to date?

not him but the best way is to use a package manager

I know it's GNU/Linux thread but what about FreeBSD ? It looks pretty comfy and a bit like gentoo with the ports tree

Is there a minimal way to view docx, odt, etc.

>uses minimalistic linux
>browses internet using chrome/firefox/other bloated shit

Not really.
You could try notepad++ but the formatting might not even be readable

>Debian unstable sid
>KDE
>mpv/cmus
>feh
>dolphin but I don't use it
>vim
>oh my zsh
>FireFox Quantum
>Termite

Should I go back to arch + i3 ? Something else ? I'm looking forward to use a wm or XFCE if it's a de

>KDE
>dolphin but I don't use it
>zsh
>termite
>thinks of switching to Arch
Where do you think we are?

What's the point of installing Linux from scratch?
I've installed gentoo and its has all the things I would ever need.
What more customizability can I get from Linux from scratch?

I was asking if there is a better option than Arch + i3

There is. Here's some options:
Gentoo + i3
Debian + i3
Void + i3
Alpine + i3

First for Ubuntu

I installed Debian via netinst and there was no "xfce" or "desktop environment" option so all I have installed is the basic "standard system utilities"
Now I want to install xfce but not even xorg is installed and whenever I try to apt-get install xorg it says "unable to locate package"
wtf do I do Sup Forums?

did you do sudo apt get update? Are you even using internet? Next time try it in a fucking vm

>polybar
ricing isn't minimalism

Go to /fglt/ for fucks sake

this is a minimalism thread. Fuck gnome ,fuck kde. dwm is the best

Literally, fucking use dwm.
All you need is dwm and dmenu

I'm connected to the Internet yes
but I didn't do apt-get update

just werks 10x faster desu

Well do it!! And read these

debian.org/releases/
wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases