Name one good reason to buy this, other than fanboyism

Name one good reason to buy this, other than fanboyism.

> higher power usage
> runs hotter
> worse driver support
> impossible to find
> worse price/performance

Open source Linux driver support.

Because you really need the best compute performance per dollar you can get.

forgot to mention it's noisy as shit.

The two first are only true if that's a vega card or a 290/390 card. AMD has better drivers now, I'd say. The other two are true. I wouldn't buy it, though. It's not a large enough jump from my 280x and they're too goddamn expensive. So maybe next year

Makes $10 a day mining xmr

Freesync, best linux support and performance out of all the GPUs, not made for obsolete APIs like DirectX 11, destroys nvidia cards in terms of raw compute performance. Not worth the 800-1000$ its at right now though but when miners will be offloading their old vega GPUs in a few years time it will be a killer deal at 300-400$.

Any idea when these beasts are going to drop in price to MSRP. My whole computer upgrade is stalled because I can't find one to buy along with overpriced fucking chink RAM.

When new AMD gpus with better power efficency come in about 6-8 months.

So AMD just completely bailed on their latest graphics card lineup then? Even the older graphics cards like the 580 are out of stock. The hell is going on? The next one is Navi, any info on that? I'd like to play my games before then.

Mining.

Buy Nvidia in the consumer market. Vega is the bulldozer of GPUs.

Raja fucked up so bad it will take years for RTG to unfuck itself.

>reference cards
And of course there's no reason to buy a card that's impossible to buy at double MSRP. If you could actually get one at MSRP, I'd be all over a Vega 56 Nitro+. It's a terrible time to buy GPUs right now. 1080 Ti cards have all jumped to over $1000 lately.

Bulldozer was a ground up redesign meant to serve as the basis for years worth of CPUs going forward. Vega is the 5th iteration of an existing architecture. The fuck ups are not comparable.

Miners, Apple for the iMac Pro, APUs, and Intel CPUs with Vega graphics are presumably eating up production

my only reason
freesync though I don't really care

And AMD cards are worse because miners

Good lord... How does one get so much wrong in so little space?

I'm saying this notion that the bad thing about this card is the availability/price is a complete lie. It's inferior.

>Name one good reason to buy this
It made Zen APUs much more powerful on graphics side. 2400G literally has 20% of /ve/ga/ 56's performance, which equals full-sized RX 470. Without /ve/ga/ that wouldn't be possible anytime soon.

Non-reference cooler addresses the heat and the noise. Driver support, frankly I prefer AMD's drivers. If availability/pricing aren't the bad thing, then that just leaves us with higher power usage. It's an issue, but not the be all, end all issue. If you could actually get one at MSRP, the 56 would be competitive with the 1070 (which you also can't get for anywhere near MSRP at the moment)- competitive enough that Nvidia released the 1070 Ti.
Also, freesync.

> runs hotter

tfw 280x and still extremely satisfied after almost 4 years.

best GPU i ever had. never had driver problems or any other issues whatsoever.

why this place hates AMD I will never understand.

> this place hates AMD

you've got to be joking. is this your first day here?

>worse driver support
come on, they fixed dx9 issue, it was their only fuck up in 3 years
vega sucks though, pretty happy with 1070 here

I wish AMD could make 200w cards for $350 that perform faster than nvidia by 15%

>higher power usage
>runs hotter
Undervolt it

Most people on this board are either too poor to go for some more expensive card or want to use it for mining crypto or are so autistic they won't touch nvidia cards because muh free drivers.

Honestly the last radeon card I had was the 7970, I loved that guy but these new ones are pretty crappy compared to nvidia, specially now that the MSRP holocaust pushed them as high or if not higher sometimes than their nvidia counterparts because for some reason miners hate nvidia cards which must be related to closed source drivers so they can't tweak them for extra performance when mining.

Also cuda has way more support than openCL in most applications I use for work so it's kinda of a no brainer here to go nvidia but at same time it means I'm locked into using their shit forever which sucks, wish amd cards could work with shit too so we don't have to deal with monopolies.