Tfw sandy bridge on windows 7

>tfw sandy bridge on windows 7

It's over, isn't it?

It's about time for an upgrade anyway.

just stop upgrading (like I did in 2015)

nothing has happened, nothing will happen

It's been time for an upgrade for 5 years.

What? This patch gimping performance would be the absolute first reason ever to "upgrade" from Sandy bridge. It says a lot about the superiority of Sandy bridge that it had to be sabotaged in order to get obsolete.

Get a Ryzen but stay on win7.

Updated on my chinkpad with w7 and i3 ivy bridge, until now only the boot-up time apparently increased a bit.

not if you skip the update

>32nm
Another reason is saving power.

Which you won't because I'm sure even you have a few working brain cells.

On a PC? Not that interesting to me. I save a metric fuck-ton already on replacing my gtx 470 for a 760 a good while ago.

But think of the environment.

i5 2500k reporting in.

I'll be picking up an i7 8700k this weekend. That should last me another 5 years.

Then don't waste resources by recreational shit posting on Sup Forums and burn your PC as fuel for cooking.

pretty bad bait senpai.

Rude.

If this thread is any indication, it's not looking too bright:

uhh... what?

>sabotaged
>superiority
It was cutting corners right from the beginning and now it was revealed and fixed. It has always been the same chip with these faults which allowed it to stay competitive in speed. If they made it correctly this wouldn't be needed but they were running out of ideas and thought they can get away with it.

I'm quite bitter about having to upgrade my i7-2600k because of this shit ...

is there really no Win10 patch coming for sandy bridge?

I don't even care about the ~30% performance hit. I've stopped playing vidya for years now - all I need that machine for is coding and browsing

such a significant security risk is unacceptable though

I feel sorry already for taking the bait but just in case some kid saw the ill advice:

Buying a new Intel CPU that is known to be defunct, vulnerable and unfixable is beyond batshit retarded (not the patches are workarounds. The CPU is still unchanged and flawed). You either buy Ryzen or accept to wait a FEW YEARS before Intel releases a competent CPU that's not broken out of the box.

Refuting this is just being an edgy intel fanboi and you know it.

>Intel fucked me
>but that's okay, I'll let Intel fuck me again

>coding and browsing
No way for you to ditch windows and switch to, for example, GNU/Linux?

nope, call me whatever you want - but I like my Windows enviroment and I got all the software I need for it

No, I'm not calling you anything. I was genuinely interested if you considered another OS because you sound to be in the luxurious position of being able to pick any OS you like. If that still happens to be Windows despite all of the recent problems then I respect that.

No, waiting literal years for something that costs only a few hundred dollars is batshit retarded.

That's the thing. You don't have to. You can buy a new CPU now but ATM the only non-retarded choice is Ryzen.

But Ryzen is slower than a patched 8700k. Hmmm.

I have no interest in updating

You DO get that despite the patches you are still considering an unsafe CPU, right? You are literally shopping for a new front door with a fucking hole in it.

Nehalem here.

I'm sure my Sandy bridge-e can last two more years until we get a zen 2 release

good goy

Just take the windows update. I've yet to see a reason to update the bios, since that only handles spectre, which is hard enough to exploit. Meltdown was your primary issue because any script kiddie with his mommy's credit card could pull it off.

As long as you're using a fork of Firefox or Chrome to browse the web, they have mitigations in place as is.

Was told a few days ago that normal users wouldn't feel a performance drop and saw multiple benchmarks also saying this. What happened since then?

Supposedly 2 factors are causing bigger performance drops: the BIOS patch and the update happening on windows 7-8.1.

so even if intel or microsoft don't update sandy bridge systems anymore - google's chrome update will take care of anything browser based?

It should be sufficient for now, but I would keep watch for the news for any developments. It's what I'm doing at least on my old ASUS laptop and Lenovo desktop. I've never updated a BIOS, and I don't plan to anytime soon.

I updated my system a few days ago when it became available on the ms catalogue and I haven't noticed any thing major.

What's a good upgrade for a i5 3450 ?

Which update # did you get? Was it KB4056895? That should be the 8.1 security fix.

>INVPCID not supported on win7 according to the check tool
What the fucking kike?
I guess I'm taking even more of performance hit because of this shit

>tfw haswell on windows 10 imported from windows 7

I'll be glad to do one of those "windows reinstalls without destroying data" once I go Ryzen.

Was KB4056897 for win7 wasn't it?

Hmmmm

Yes, that seems to be the right update according to the catalog. I'm personally doing some testing right now to determine if my laptop is affected.

The worst my desktop faced was a 10% increase in CPU usage across applications, but otherwise nothing major. However, I think I'll be skipping the BIOS patch since that might cause major performance issues. Thank you Intel.

I'm in the boat where I don't have a choice. Gigabyte won't push out firmware for a 6 year old board.

Again, you should be fine as long as you keep your browsers up to date. The second biggest problem was meltdown, which was completely fixed via windows update.

The biggest problem is intel themselves, and they can be fixed with a brick launched through their windows.

same here

but what are the actual risks involved?

shouldn't browser updates take care of most things?

sure - physical access to the machine or running malicious executables will still fuck you up, but that's an edge case for most people.

as long as javascript and the like are secured by the browser, there's not much code that people can run on your machine without you having to run it explicitly

You said it yourself, you've got the maximum amount of security sans the BIOS patch. The real problem here is the crowd that's less tech literate. They don't update their browsers constantly, and some don't update windows that much (not that I blame them). So they're the biggest at risk here.

But if you browse on a patched browser with umatrix, ublock, greasemonkey, httpseverywhere, and those other quality of life addons, this is a minor bump in the road for you at worst.