Socket 775

Sup Forums will talk about socket 775.

What did you think of it back in the day? how did it compare to socket 478?
Are any of you still experimenting with this on the edge 2010 toaster socket? What's the most successful project you've had in making the most powerful PC on a 775 socket?

Other urls found in this thread:

techarp.com/guides/complete-list-cpus-meltdown-spectre/3/
youtube.com/watch?v=TDD-AAh1Nqc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just admit that you care about lga775 only because of all the flooded cheap core 2 quads and xeons which are easily turned from lga771 to lga775

>Hey, remember the AM4 socket?

This wouldve been around 4300$ in 2007.
Its ok, good for Shitposting, youtube and light gaming like CSGO in 1080p

im using an xeon e5450 clocked @4Ghz on an asus p5q with 8gb 1066mhz DDR2 ram. i should find myself a mobo that uses DDR3 ram desu

775 is only worth it if you can find DDR2 for cheap, but those Xeons and a SSD can revive cheap office PCs which are always nice.

You mean 25 years old.

I got myself a Q9550, but it's running on a 1066 FSB instead of 1333.
I'm looking to get a GTX 750 ti, but I keep looking between that and GTX 760,770,780 with far more bandwith in it and I'm wondering if I should get a more powerful MOBA first.

I've seen DDR2 motherboards with 1600FSB, but I don't know anything about how a higher BUS with affect the CPU.
I was also thinking of getting a full-on DDR3 moba.

Didn't learn much about DDR2/DDR3 mix mobas though.

>What's the most successful project you've had in making the most powerful PC on a 775 socket?

I stuck a few chink xeons into old SFF machines at work.
L5410 + 4 gigs of RAM + cheapo SSD = snappier office computer than brand new i3-6100+HDD prebuilts we've been getting.

I still got a Q6600 laying around in my wardrobe.
Great little processor at the time and overclocked nicely.
My waifu of CPUs is the i7 920 though.
Intel did everything right in that gen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Q6600 wasn't a true quad core processor.

Internally, it was two glued together dual core dies. But that doesn't make it a "fake" quad core processor.

>i7 920
I have one in excellent condition because I've run it undervolted for most of its life.

>you can get cheap powerful CPUs for socket 775 but not for AM2
>you can get cheap large DIMMs for socket AM2 but not for 775

>own a x5460, seconds most powerful 771 cpu, 1st one being x5470
>above any core 2 quad cpu
>higher multiplier than q9770 (best c2q, s775)
>unlocked FSB, can be increased above q9770
>no management engine
>only 70 hardware bugs found in 11 years (skylake already has 120 bugs in 2.5 years)
>8 gb ddr2
comfy

i think it was one of the best sockets of intell and 478 was shit

check em, x5460 confirmed for supreme cpu

It was okay, but even the way better i7 920 (1366) is done by now.

>Are any of you still experimenting with this on the edge 2010 toaster socket?
No. It's a waste of power.

How does it manage with vidya and any single-core processes?
I have heard of modded xeons going above x5472, but never heard of anything beyond QX9650, guess I'm still not in the game yet.

My xeon 775 machine has been serving me very well.
I went with the 2.66ghz L5430 for that sweet 50w TDP.
The asrock board is stable, but cannot overclock for shit, Its capable of taking the 3.33ghz x5470.

If you can find a board with 1600 FSB you could run a 3.4ghz X5492.

Still a great socket for budget performance builds.

If you pick the right mobo for the xeon mod you can have contemporary performance for cheap. PCI-E 2.0, 1033 or 1333 FSB and DDR2 doesn't hurt your day to day performance significantly unless your gayming.

>11yo cpu
>thinking that I care about vidya and performance
desu I've played gta4 on it, but it was too weak for gta5 - paired with 8800gt and a stock core2duo cooler

If you had a choice between 4GB of DDR3 and 8GB of DDR2, which would you chose?

I've currently got 4GB of DDR2 and im seeing 100% utilization on SC2 so I've got to change something.

ram speed is a meme, go for 8 gb
>recommending a cpu with higher stock frequency like it's 2018
y..you know, x5470 have higher multiplier and can be oc'ed to the same freq as X5492 on a $2 cooler

I haven't really tried any modern games, I only have a workstation video card.
If you are running out of space go for 8gb.

Good point, I never looked at the multipliers.

I love my little xeon machine.

damn thats a beautul case.

I wish I could get more, its the smallest case I've seen that accepts full height PCI cards.

The only downside is how expensive good SFX power supplies are.

Fucking this.

However, Socket F opterons are cheap AF and dual socket oppy boards accept 16 dimms.

ECC memory is dirt cheap.

7 years using this cpu, never had a problem. 775/1 still rocks.

My daily driver is still a q9300. I would upgrade, but 70 dollars CAD before shipping for a q9650 is a little steep for me at the moment. I would have got a xeon, but I would need a new motherboard as 1333 FSB is beta on this board, and I can't find any mention of someone even trying it on it.

DDR2 is cheap... if you don't want 4 gig DIMMs. Then it starts costing as much as fucking as 8 gig DDR4.

It's not awful to use today, though the lack of recent features and the narrow bus affects a lot of what I do. The only reason I want a CPU upgrade is to get close to a i5 2400 in performance.

Back when I got my q6600, it was the bees knees. I had the best machine until my friend's got their i7 930. I'm better off today, though, since they can't find replacement triple channel RAM to upgrade with.

i probably won't upgrade until the motherboard craps out. at 3.6 ghz the performance is still really good despite it coming out in 2008. as far as i can tell the lga 775 and 771 processors are also immune to the meltdown bug, but many people have disagreed but provided no evidence.

techarp.com/guides/complete-list-cpus-meltdown-spectre/3/

What's the most advanced GPU which I can pair with the most advanced 775 CPU?

8800 GTS

>I'm poor
The post. Fuck man is the loonie really that weak now?

why not do a 771 to 775 mod and grab a xeon my nibba. a lot cheaper

Qx9770 = Gtx660ti

You need 1333FSB for a Q9650 too. Xeon E5450 is literally the same processor but at $20.
However, I doubt you'll feel a difference as it's only like 20% faster.

Pretty sure you can use any modern GPU in a 775 machine, PCIe is fully backwards compatible.

What's a moba that can support 16gb of DDR2? Any chance I'll be able to find 4GB ram sticks for DDR2?

Couldn't afford it, wish I could have. I would've been better off than with my piece of crap Sempron.

I don't think any consumer Intel chipsets for S775 support 4GB sticks or have more than 4 slots, so you have to look into server shit.

Recommend me a motherboard that can overclock decently. I'm currently on a 650i sli chipset that can't break 3Ghz on a QX6700. I remember being told to get a P or X Intel chipset, but I'm still unsure which one would work. Which brands back then were good with this stuff? Are higher end nForce any good?

any by asus or gigabyte

Is getting the Scythe Zipang cooler a decent choice? Scythe seems like the equivalent of Noctua.

Asus or Giga are excellent.
But I keep hearing that the MOBAs from Asus are incredibly picky with what kind of memory sticks you feed them.

as long as its a huge cooler youre good to go with the overclocking, but desu the cm hyper 212 evo does a great job with my e5450 clocked @ 4Ghz

some of the more recent gpus aren't backwards compatible with pcie 1.0/1.1/2.0. even ati's 5000 series which came out in 2010 didn't work on 1.0 and 1.1 so i'm assuming all that came after need 2.0 or more.

If its anything like my scythe shuriken, it's a bitch to install because the locking pins sit under the fin array on top, good cooler apart from that.

this
Unless you are using the most basic generic motherboard, from the time there were actually low-end chipsets that were absolute trash, that is non-sense.
The problem isn't that the cards aren't backwards compatible, it is that the chipset doesn't support them and in most cases, a simple BIOS upgrade fixes it.

this. i tested out my 1060 6gb on it and works perfectly. people on youtube are using 980tis and a bunch of other highend gpus with their old tech as well

I haven't used 775 as a daily for quite some time now, but I do have a few 775 systems lying around. The Duos are starting to show their age, but the Quads have held up quite well. The best I've managed to do in terms of performance is overclock a Q9550 based system to a pokey 3.5GHz, and at that speed its performance compares favorably to an FX-6300. I want to get it to 4GHz, but between my lack of overclocking knowledge/experience and the rather overclocking-unfriendly nature of the board I'm using I don't think I'll ever get there and still have some degree of system stability.

>that specific orange
>that specific blue
GO GATORS

Titan V, if that is your fetish.
I had a x5470 paired to 290 on a p35 board.

Boards supporting core2quads should all have 2.0.

Jesus. Are GFXs still a piece of shit when it comes to bottlenecking a CPU/Moba's BUS?

This should answer, it's a X5450 but it's clocked at 4.1GHz. It kinda craps out at GTAV tho
youtube.com/watch?v=TDD-AAh1Nqc

Not so much weak loonie as tech parts all tend to be non-proportionally more expensive compared to the states. Plus tax to deal with.

Even if we buy something from China, it's frequently stopped at the border and we are forced to pay duty to claim it.

Besides, I can't justify spending 400 after tax for a new CPU, MoBo, and RAM at the moment.

I have considered it many times over the years, but asking an 11 year old MB with beta 1333 FSB drivers to deliver 130 watts to the socket might be flirting with danger... even with a 2 year old 650 watt PSU.

I have 1333 FSB right now. However, as mentioned, it's a beta bios. While a P5B should support a Xeon from what I've read, and it would be a 30% jump if I went to a q9650 or X5460, I'm still concerned about power draw through the board itself.

Asus P5Q
MSI P35
Biostar TP series

here's some benchmarks i took a while back comparing e8400 vs e5450.

>Xeons
>Good for anything but using 20 tabs of chrome

Are you willing to buy a new mobo to switch from that ugly p965 of yours?

Ha, it's funny how both scored the same in the SC test

Wait what was that about frying your mobo if you use too much watts?

I'm currently running a Q9550 on 1066 FSB and want to get a graphics card for it. What do you suggest, Sup Forums?

RX 460, R7 360 and 260x
Whatever cheaper I guess

My parents are essentially using my old main pc. Which is a q9400, 4gb ram and a gtx 560ti
This was back when Intel was still making great chips. Still holds up great when paired with a cheap ssd.
>tfw intel will never make a chip as good as the q6600, i7 920, i5 2500k again.

I really hate AMD. It always overheats despite being slower. I don't even know how you're suppose to overclock AMD without burning it.

GTX 750ti(GTX660 too) GT 1030 and maybe GTX1050(non ti) then, picky faggot

i have x5470/gigabyte board/10GB ram @3.85ghz (and gt740)
runs hot (55-65deg idle) because i have shit cooling but otherwise good enough for 2160p vp9

What about GTX 760,770,780?

I have no experience with those, I used to have and R7 360 and all those I recommended are around the same of level performace and it was still being bottleneck by my E5430 clocked at 3.55GHz .
760 770 and 780 might be guaranteed bottlenecks.

But user

Do it, 770+ are still great cards and you can use them later on other builds when you wave goodbye to your 775 build.

Hard to do in Canada. Newegg.ca doesn't carry them, neither does Canada Computers or other local shops, probably because there wasn't enough market for distributors to hold any stock.

The only choice left is the classifieds and ebay, the former is such a hot pile of garbage where I live. Ebay is awful in that Canadian shipping and handling is horrendous and people gouge because of small market.

He is using 1066 FSB for some reason...

How much do Q9550+ cost nowadays?

In essence its just two core2duo dies slapped together but it is 4 physical cores that work together.

I think the actual fab process for the later ones was just low binned c2d dies slapped together, probably why that generation had good yield rates

Honestly the Q9300 is fine, upgrades will give you marginally better performance, at this far into into 775s lifespan its really not worth doing those small upgrades unless you can get the higher tier chips for like 10 bucks
Its why the Q6600 is so popular compared to the better c2qs, 12$ 6600 vs 20$ 9650 or whatever, that 8 dollars isn't worth it on a cheap old system

Theoretically, anything pcie
Without a bottleneck, I think up to an R9 280x or equivalent pairs well

xeons are alot cheaper

8GB ram
Intel Q9450 (quad core, OC to 3.2GHz)
got it for free because...
i worked at a Dell assembly plant at the time and a co-worker was bored and wanted to steal something so i said, get me a CPU....and he did.
used that up until 2014
i only upgraded when my motherboard died (4-5 bad capacitors)
then acquired a computer from my job for free.
4GB ram, i5-2400.
just upgraded the CPU to i5-3450 last year. bought it on ebay for $50.
don't plan on upgrading until the motherboard dies and i can't find old stock inventory for it.

I keep running into all these amazing over the top DDR2/DDR3 "gaming" builds for 100-150$. Stuff like 2133Mhz DDR3. 16GB DDR2 QX9775 FSB 1600 850Watt power supply.
And especially 6 core AMD processors. People are desperate to sell these before they throw them into the PC graveyard. It's comparable to the PCs in 97-99 vs 2001-2003 PCs.

There's some crazy shit in here I didn't even know it was possible.

I'm interested in wide low-profile coolers that supposedly cool off your MOBA together with the CPU.

I wish I had a GTX 750 ti back January 2009 when Bitcoin first appeared.

Tell me about your 775 stories, grandpa.

bought a q8300 socket 775 in 2008.
on an ASUS p5q3.
still runs at 2.5ghz, 37°c idle to this day (zallman ventirad)

It was like the 2005s but more powerful.

I'm gonna snatch up a few for nostalgia's sake. Probably do some videos on Youtube on how they've aged compare to the low-power modern CPUs.

Boop

which of the DDR3 775 motherboards are worth getting?

Asus or gigabyte

Man Q6600 was the hot shit back in '07-'08 for gamers. I'm stuck with my Athlon 64 dual core.

I have an old server running a Xeon 3075 with 6GB of RAM and an 80GB RAID array. I'm thinking of using it as a NAS or even an offline backup machine. I had considered using it as a gameserver but I don't know a lot about networking and I don't trust my level of knowledge to be high enough to be able to run something like that securely.

Not sure is bumping up to a quad core would even be beneficial, but I might do it anyway before C2Qs or quadcore Xeons get too difficult to find.

What about the Q9550/9650 and QXtreme?

considering E5450 is two of the exact same dies as E8400, at the same frequency, it's pretty logical for them to score the same in single threaded tests.

Low-end S775 mainboards have insufficiently capable power circuits for 120W+ processors or overclocked 95W ones. You have to look into the CPU support list (some boards have stuff like "CPU SUPPORT UP TO 130W" printed near the socket)

>Its why the Q6600 is so popular compared to the better c2qs, 12$ 6600 vs 20$ 9650
If your board supports 45nm chink xeons, there's no point in getting a Q6600 now, as something like a $8 L5410 is faster at *less than half* the TDP.

Q9650 was hot shit in '09-'10 I guess

not completely related but related to older intel chips that are bang for buck

should i get rid of my a10 7850k for an i7 920\some earlier quad i7 ?

ayymd sucks at ps2 emulation but what about everything else

funny thing is i upgraded to that a10 from an oc'd e6750, and i didn't feel a whole lot of a difference, sad !

>i7 920
As long as it's cheap. $200 for mobo+cpu+ram maximum.

For games older intel quads are fine IF you close all other applications. Otherwise it easity turns into a stutter-fest.

775 is Intels take on the FM AMD uses.
The 775 was very long lived.
Even if it was, I was happy with going from E6600 to Q6600.