Apple quietly joined the alliance as a founding member, according to the group's website...

>Apple quietly joined the alliance as a founding member, according to the group's website, which was updated with the change Wednesday. Apple's plans for AV1 aren't yet clear -- the company didn't respond to a request for comment -- but joining as a founding member sends a strong signal of support.

HEVC BTFO

bump

AV1 WON

HEVC IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

APPLEL BTFO

HOW WILL WEEBS EVER RECOVER
ALL THEIR H265 MEME ENCODES HAVE GONE TO WASTE

>HEVC BTFO
>Bump

KeK

I hope those faggots stop pushing that meme now.
I want to watch my chink cartoons in freedom.

what's so bad about hevc, though?

>Licensing that basically killed it
>x265 still not beating x264 even at v2.4 and five years of development (x264 in its fifth year was already a crowning demon)

It's proprietary, and with the license fees, no wonder the tech industry jumped ship to the FOSS alternative.

>alliance as a founding member
>late to the party
>founding member

Literally no one switched to HEVC. Weebshit is still encoded in H.264 besides trash re-encodes.

>macOS and iOS will natively support WebM and Opus

It's about time.

High Sierra already supports FLAC & Opus

Many Linux distros cannot legally include it.

>ios Webm
Is this really confirmed? Source? When? An ios 11 update?

The royalty is only for video playback hardware.

You must mean since its "non free software", its not in the repository for some distros

No, he means that Linux distro's can't legally ship it unless they pay a license
Same applies to everyone. It's why people had to install ffmpeg to play mp3s on Windows.

I just hope this means we can get jpeg/png replacements based on AV1 I-frame encoding.

Really thought it only applies for hardware acceleration, so a GPU with HEVC hardware acceleration has to pay a royalty. A dvd/blueray player that recognizes it pays a royalty. But not software. Which is why you can encode/decode hevc with free software

It is by device

>caring about gay fruit shit devices

>Netflix, Hulu and Amazon — the world's largest streaming services have chosen AV1
>Nvidia, AMD, Intel, ARM and IBM — the world's top semiconductor companies have chosen AV1
>Facebook — the world's largest social network has chosen AV1
>Google — owner of YouTube, the world's largest video sharing website, and lead developer of Android, the world's largest mobile platform has chosen AV1
>Adobe — the world's largest media creation software company has chosen AV1
>Microsoft — developer of the world's most used desktop operating system has chosen AV1

...and now Apple, the world's largest technology company and last formidable bastion of HEVC, has chosen AV1.

That's it folks. It's over. A FOSS multimedia format has finally won over the proprietary MPEG format.

Expect eastern companies like Sony and Samsung and to follow suit soon.

>...and now Apple, the world's largest toy company and last formidable bastion of HEVC, has chosen AV1.
Fixed.

If I have a Panasonic camera that records in AVCHD and compresses with h.264. Is there any chance that there would be a software update that would allow compression with AV1 since it is completely free?

Or would new camcorders later this year have support for it?

Probably would have to be new camcorders, but no idea when they'll hit market

patent encumbered != proprietary

release date ?

friendly reminder that av1 is even slower than h265 to encode

Hardware acceleration?

>literally all botnet companies
>FOSS media format
Fuck off. I'm not joining your botnet.

FREE Hardware acceleration nvidia, amd + intel on board

what a time to be alive

if things pick up any more i might not even kill myself

It's an alliance for them to not sue each other, the botnet is only in every other product they ship.

Meant to quote

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>support

friendly reminder that zero optimizations will be made to the reference encoder until bitstream is frozen and prominent bugs squashed.

AV1's current encoding speed is nowhere near it's projected future encoding speed.

licensing fees

SONY BTFO

only the recent chips nowadays can only play HEVC 1080p 10-bit such as SD 835.
HEVC is a shit codec

UHD BD uses H.265, though. AV1 disc, when?

so av1 is supposed to be alternative? can't wait to encode my animus with it!