>2018
>using Windows 7 and Windows 8

cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/01/09/understanding-the-performance-impact-of-spectre-and-meltdown-mitigations-on-windows-systems/

>Older versions of Windows have a larger performance impact because Windows 7 and Windows 8 have more user-kernel transitions because of legacy design decisions, such as all font rendering taking place in the kernel. We will publish data on benchmark performance in the weeks ahead.
>all font rendering taking place in the kernel

Sup Forums WILL ACTUALLY DEFEND THIS

>MS SHILLS WILL ACTUALLY DEFEND THIS

>"upgrade" to win10 pls
lel. It doesn't matter anyway since win10 runs slower than 7 or 8 by default

>casually ignores the fact that a bad font can get code execution in the kernel

thanks for reminding me I need to switch from Windows 7, I'll move to Linux this time

I though benchmarks demonstrated that they run about the same, with Windows 10 negligibly better.

Okay, but if your Linux installation doesn't even use AppArmor/SELinux, I will kick your ass.

Thanks again, Microsoft. Always looking out for people other than yourself

>AppArmor/SELinux
What the fuck is that? I thought Linux didn't get viruses?

>being stupid on purpose
Look, pajeet, nothing is immune to getting various malware, Trojans, and the like. It's just harder to get ones normally common on Windows on Linux, because of how the system handles permissions, the file system, whatever. You probably think Mac is immune to viruses as well, since apple says so. But it's only less likely to get them than Windows, for the same reasons

lmao literally just turn off auto update

MS sabotaging their older OS for try move people to Win10...Nothing new.

The new apps bullshit, compressed memory, telemetry etc. adds another layer of bloat that runs all the time
Older systems (which usually also are missing some new optimized drivers) run like absolute garbage with 10

So you need to download another program? You don't have to do that wtith Windows

>being stupid on purpose

You don't need to download another program for permissions like you said earlier for Windows

>implying anyone installs updates on w7
I don't care if my shit is compromised, only if it runs my ero-vidya.

What are you talking about? Why would Linux need to download a program for permissions? Linux already handles that

Then what does AppArmor do?

Additional security over permissions. But if you think that the default on Windows is somehow sufficient, you're sadly mistaken

>linux can't even render fonts
lmao

Lol, it's true! It leaves that to the user space or something else not related to the kernel!

Windows 7 + C2D here
no any decrease in system performance

Why would you run font rendering in user space and not as system

as of windows 10, windows NT doesn't do it either

>Read that I also need to update my browser
Fuck. I don't want to use the new Firefox and I dislike Chrome.

Same boat. Firefox ESR doesn't work with umatrix which is arguably just as good of a countermeasure as an update. I'll wait another month for now.

PALEMOON
A
L
E
M
O
O
N

it really does, my 1st gen core2 stutters playing 480p on w10

ESR should get security updates so

All I have is an E6430 right now with a ivy bridge mobile i5 and running Win 7, how fucked will I be?
Should I "upgrade" to Win 10 LTSB to get around possible performance hits?

Depends on what you're doing with the machine at the end of the day. Most benches say that users doing typical home tasks and even light workstation work won't notice a thing. It's more the enterprise and server markets that are going to be fucked by the things being worked around.

>2023
>still using Windows XP

u mad?

>Sup Forums WILL ACTUALLY DEFEND THIS
Won't even swallow this shitty update lmao. Ryzen all the way.

>Sell all your privacy and date to NSA + get a gimped Goy™ PC™
>Possibly get some cache info stolen
:suicidethink:

> using windows