Anyone else noticing that recently Linux has been offering better battery life on laptops than windows?

Anyone else noticing that recently Linux has been offering better battery life on laptops than windows?
Going from w10 to Solus bumped my battery life from barely 4 hours to almost 5 hours, a bit over an extra half hour.

Is it just w10 being shitty? Has anyone compared to w7? Are other distros like Ubuntu going to offer the same battery benefits?

The laptop is a HP Elitebook 2570p.

SHHHHHHH

All the constant spying and telemetry in Windows 10 uses up battery power, you know.

The battery saving capabilities of 10 versus 7 and 8 definitely are superior somehow, but I always thought Linux battery life was still lacking because of proprietary drivers.

>trying to start a new meme
>"Linux has better battery life on my laptop than Windows does..."
>FAKE FUCKING NEWS

Have you ever compared battery life between Solus and windows 10?

Interestingly enough though some people are reporting worse battery life. Seems to be a hit and miss.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Linux is far more commonly used by the public and media,and that it serves as a generic term for systems that combine that kernel with software from multiple other sources.
Regardless your shitty stallboy argument it's not going to change that the common name for it is Linux.

Yes, but only on Solus, on Ubuntu unity and Fedora gnome battery was at least an hour worse than windows, even with tlp and powertop.

On my 2013 Macbook air with a full charge:

Mac OS: 10 hours
Linux*: 9 hours
Windows: 6 hours

*Ubuntu 17.10 with Budgie

I have the same laptop, I used to get 6 watts in idle and 7 watts watching youtube in Edge.
Now it uses around 8 watts in idle typically, Windows 10 battery life went to shit at some point.

Did you test any other DEs?

>Going from w10 to Solus bumped my battery life from barely 4 hours to almost 5 hours, a bit over an extra half hour.

I tested this before with a program that timed it.

Windows 7 - 9 hours
Windows 10 - 5 hours and 30 minutes

x220 with a 9 cell, only XP can beat Windows 7 in battery performance. Also for reference, that was with wifi and ethernet disabled as well as camera and playing a video on VLC non stop.

Windows 10 gave me around 7 hours from a full charge. Lubuntu is comfy af.

>recently
I has been like that at least since the 3.4 days. The bug that caused low battery life in Linux was fixed ages ago.

With my X230 on W10 I get around 3 hours but 4:30 with my lightweight xfce setup on Linux.

Every laptop I've had has had a longer battery life on Linux when configured well than on Windows ever

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

nani baka senpai
>lighter os increases battery life

This is the man who inspires you. Have you no dignity?

>Seems to be a hit and miss
Thats the philosophy on gnu/linux.

kek'd hard

Yes but only on Solus with Budgie, mint gave me almost half the battery life...

Do not disparage Free Software Buddha. I'd suck his dick so hard his carefully chewn toenails would retract.

But muh edge battery life pop-up!

Nigga you're gay

Back off Kevin

Who the fuck is Kevin?

Also a monolithic kernel IS THE ENTIRE OS.