How do I start to love programming?

How do I start to love programming?

It takes special motivation to love programming. Usually due to childhood trauma or neglect

>tfw incapable of learning programming

Getting stoned and try to write clones of games you like. Or make a backend thing for some fotm webapp.

mommy never loved me

>try to create comfy little world via technology because i'm a complete failure at relationships
>develop obsession with emacs, linux, compsci, and tech related shit in general.

could be worse.

i love programming because my dad tought me basic when i was like 10 or so

did he ever how to change the oil in a car or a flat tire?

no but my granpa did.

Start from high-level, learn low level when you are mature enough to be genuinely interested in how the things actually work.
Front-end + Back-end web-dev will teach you a lot. Ruby on Rails is a fantastic starting platform with plenty of great tutorials out there and results being 20 minutes away from you.
Aside from that, C# is a great starting language with some great courses on Pluralsight a 3-month subscription for which is given away by Visual Studio Dev Essentials.
Some people can start from scripting in Unity (also C#) and making simple games.

Make something you like.

I don't know how you love it, but it sure beats when I used to do construction.

Thanks user.

Git gud

Treat it like an autistic game like minecraft.
Have fun.
Create small but fun challenges for you and defeat em.
Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!

Have a goal and work towards it.

If you want to work at say Sony because you like video games you need to be competent in Java and C++.

Make useful applications for yourself or use your programs to track things you are interested in to get better.

Even better learn how to make simple games in Java.

that's a gorgeous girl op

Think of a technology-related problem that pisses you off, then try and find a way to fix it. I'm teaching myself Python atm because I want to make an algorithm that (without going into detail because I've never seen or heard anything remotely similar to what I'm trying to make) beats music piracy forever. I suck too much ass at coding to tell if this is even slightly feasible but at least its fun.

embrace communism

TFW software eng at work /o/fag at home. Feels good. Never had a dad tho, maybe that's the secret to enjoying programming?

work on something you care about. if nothing interests you, then why start in the first place?

I love to learn syntax, tools, but tutorial of complex stuff with hundreds of code makes me depressed, specially with name of functions like TemporaryDispatcherStaticContectsRoot

Celebrate when things work.
This mean make it a habit of visualizing your problems, eg plot the timing or success rate etc.
It is a bit over the top, but that scene from swordfish is actually pretty good.
I have often sat by myself, drinking wine, yelling at my computer over a simulation that makes no sense to anyone but me.
And if you can't look back at that and think it was fun, I don't know what to say.

You don't. You just do it. There is no predicate in this world that you need to love / like something in order to take action, or that in due time you will find it easier.

In fact, what's to say things get more difficult and frustrating? Or more of just the mundane code, test, debug, retest cycle?

Life is suffering as the Buddhist says. You ask for a better alternative. The easier option. Why not ask for broader shoulders that will allow you to carry such a burden without bitterness or resent?

And so to do that, we set a goal regardless of such axioms. But it's not because Jordan Peterson said so in order to get your dopaminergic system firing.

No.

It's because in realising that daily programming habit, you become the realisation of your ideal. But not in terms of a journey where you've become the happy 10x programmer. Something more akin to...a cacophonous piece of music that you can find peace with, even perhaps your favourite piece of music further down that passage of time that is your existence.

Think of it like Lego.

this is inaccurate
it is possible to love without being caught in samsara
it is possible to find work blissful without being caught in samsara and it's even recommended to do so if you want to be efficient.
You should look at the tantric methods user

Be careful with what you wish for.
Do not mistake the finger that points at the moon for the moon itself.
Who is it to say that love or bliss are desirable things in the first place?
And it goes without saying, that when you desire love or bliss, by pragmatism, one is forced to acknowledge that the current moment is undesirable a la things could be better.

I don't wish for bliss. Don't worry about me user.
The thing is, it's better to ride your desires towards liberation that to fight through them. That is all.

edgy

who is this gorgeous boy?

My ex.
Another question?

It's me.

Try writing things you're going to use yourself. Adding features to my favorite text editor is like crack, I've lost sleep over it already multiple times.

I think this is a good summary of what it's like to be a "good" programmer. Or, I should say, someone who can program day in and day out.

You learn to love the inadvertently self-inflicted torture most of your implementations cause. I'm trying to build a graph database with full history tracking. To preserve the history of many-to-many relationships, I'll need to track the node that the new node replaced (or itself if it's brand new) and track what node replaces it (or point to itself if it's the latest). This functionality is hardly, if at all, required. But I'll be damned, once I build a solution that doesn't create steps on top of steps on top of shitty slippery steps, I'll show our Business Intelligence Director and he'll fucking love it.

I also fucked up yesterday and created a database with leading white space. Then I set it to single-user mode and now can't access it because the system is always connected to it. That's what I get for being a GUI + Copy-Paste fag. Wouldn't trade this job for anything right now though, because I'm almost always left alone and I get to look at how to build my own server hardware when I'm frustrated with a problem. Or the fun I had this weekend when the frail piece of shit pricing import process bombed in Production and disabled every active pricing record. Good thing I know about how to do a row number and a partition by clause. Twenty thousand Live prices, completely inaccessible!

You will love it wthin the first second, or you never will.

/thread

go full stack normieapp-dev.

I got into programming after deciding to stop being a neet.
Had no interest whatsoever in it just picked it up in the course to get my degree,
had the luck to find a decent teacher (not 100% about that) that's teaching us from the very gorund basics of logic, and now I'm 3 months into C and C++.

Now I autistically look at it as if it's IRL spellcasting.

How should I know, I'm starting to hate it.

Such is the life of a miserable programmer wageslave.

you are a brainwashed prideful child who thinks he got it all figured out, but in reality you are sad and wretched hiding behind a persona.

i pity you.
i'm sorry for your pain and ignorance.

create something small and actually finish the project. the sense of accomplishment is worth it. something simple like a tool to extract all those upskirt vids on the train from your phone, remove exif and upload to 4chins

not feasible but good luck

I still can't program.

ayy

who bitch this is