>>64261462

I want Samsung to make Desktop CPUs already with HBM2 DRAM on die.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamersnexus.net/industry/3186-chinese-government-investigating-dram-price-fixing-allegations
extremetech.com/extreme/188776-how-l1-and-l2-cpu-caches-work-and-why-theyre-an-essential-part-of-modern-chips
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Please explain in english, how does this translates in real world performance

They dont have x86 license

Also at this point, its a national secret of US. If US allows their high end x86 fabs to get into the hands of Chinese/SK, its all over for US intelligence.

Cache

Who said x86? Go risc through arm

This, high end powerful ARM64 cores with all necessary instructions.

>307 gigabytes-per-second (GBps) data bandwidth
Yeah because you're definitely gonna need to write 307 gigabytes to ram in a second
What matters these days is latency

say that to VIA

>implying instruction sets are legally protected
It's just financially not feasible to work around Intel's and AMD's patents, but anybody technically could provide a legal x86-64 CPU.

why do you hate graphics cards?

Would be cool to see an ARM desktop motherboard with socketed high profile ARM CPUs. And (presumably) UEFI firmware. And chipsets with PCIe, DDR4/5, USB3, SATA, NVME and all the par for the course features. I bet this could happen with Windows 10 supporting x86-64 emulation and all. The only thing that would trigger me about this is that they'd call it "ARM PC" as if it was still IBM PC Compatible

>separate X gigabytes of your RAM to install programs on like HDD
>programs now load instantly

Samefagging a bit, that would also mean that the Windows driver vendors would need to start actually supporting ARM, which is not as reasonable :/

Sure, Linux doesn't have that problem (tm) but I think Windows support will be necessary to make such products a reality.

Lol the goyim can't even buy ddr4 and now they're peddling us this bullshit

No one needs that much transfer speed, get the fuck out with these Jewish schemes

Why uefi?

x86 is not an intrinsic quality of desktop processors.

>And UEFI
I just baby barfed

I too don't want it, but I think they'll just do it to appear convincingly similar to PC so that they think they can catch a wider market.

So this will likely only make its way onto GPUs this year or what? What are other feasible uses for this kind of bandwidth?

Loading a webpage without lag.

Surely that's more bound to latency than total throughput right?

>No one needs that much transfer speed

APUs with on-die memory.

gamersnexus.net/industry/3186-chinese-government-investigating-dram-price-fixing-allegations
they're gonna get their ass handled
i really hope this happens
>sue and get billions for fixing the ddr4 prices
>give those billions to your own state funded ddr fabs
>drive the price down

What about data crunching ? Let's say you have a big set of data in RAM and want a mathematical transformation over it.

extremetech.com/extreme/188776-how-l1-and-l2-cpu-caches-work-and-why-theyre-an-essential-part-of-modern-chips

Now, if the latency time of the memory is too long it cannot serve as a cache but still, you have one more layer of memory.

Nice maybe Vega card production will ramp up and the Navi cards will be even better.
HBM2 uses less power and gives better bandwidth but a lot more expensive compared to GDDR5 that traditional graphics cards like the 1080 use. It's the same memory the Vega cards use. Vega graphics are paving the way for this technology.

What? It's important for graphics card because it's the vram feeding the core at those bandwidths. It's not RAM to VRAM. It's VRAM to GPU pipeline

Samsung and hynix's memory making , well 99% of all of their fabs are all in their home nations of Korea. If China tries to slap them with a hefty fine they can tell China to go fuck themselves and starve the ENTIRE Chinese electronics manufacturing (assembly) industry. Obviously that's not great for hynix and Samsung too so most likely neither China nor the manufacturers will do anything extreme. At most a slap on the wrist, more likely it gets held up in investigation until they dissolve the price fixing and accept a slap on the wrist they might not even pay.

Keep in mind if China violates any patents Samsung and hynix can easily take end-client companies like Apple to court in any western nation and have sales blocked to pressure Chinese manufacturers

It’s great for machine learning when using larger algorithms, it’s why nvidia V is using HBM2 and the tenser cores. For gaming it’s not massive improvement unless you’re doing huge upscaling or have insane texture packs, etc.

>Samsung
So will they be under limited production and fixed pricing like their DIMM/DRAM chips?

programs bottleneck around 400mb read unless they are 100% uncompressed.

no one will ramp shit up because if they do and miners fall though, they are now on the hood for a fuck load of stock they cant sell.