JUST FUCKWIT IT

finance.yahoo.com/news/security-first-pledge-open-letter-145700844.html
youtube.com/watch?v=D01NHPnLrVs

Meanwhile:
>Shareholder Class Action Filed Against Intel Corporation
>Bronstein, Gewirtz & Grossman, LLC Notifies Investors of Class Action Against Intel Corporation (INTC) & Lead Plaintiff Deadline: March 12, 2018
>Block & Leviton LLP Announces The Filing Of A Securities Class Action Against Intel Corp. (INTC) And Encourages Shareholders To Contact The Firm

Other urls found in this thread:

aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/
forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-update-microcode-from-windows.787152/
chiru.no/u/intel_collage.png
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bent over backwards.

If Intel was a car manufacturer they would already recalled all their shitty products that suffer from this security hole THAT CAN NOT BE REPAIRED AT THE OS LEVEL.

But no, those fucking jews are trying to scam people as much as they can.

>We're sorry
My desktop, and laptops are vulnerable, and will slow down after updates. Mfw I chose Intel for the performance they had over AMD.
>Hurr durr we're sorry
They still didn't open source the ME processor, so we could eventually libreboot out of it.
I fucking hate those cunts now.
Tldr; if they were really sorry they would open source everything, so someone could save us from their mistakes.

Yea but even with car manufacturer recalls, there are only certain models/years of said models that are affected. I.e. the airbag issue currently effecting Toyota and Honda. They have 2 million or so vehicles that need to be recalled.

What's Intel going to do? Recall EVERY SINGLE CPU they've made since late 90's? They put all their eggs in one basket, so all of their products are in trouble.

This is what's going to happen all around the world in roughly ~2 months from now:

I just can't handle this anymore. Every company does the fucking same. A bunch of fucking words to fix some gigantic fuckup. If people were a tiny bit smart at the very first sign of such a thing they would stop buying trash like that altogether, even if it takes a little sacrifice. I know that I will not buy Intel ever again and if AMD screws me up in the same way I will fucking find a way that I don't have to deal with these motherfuckers.

>Every company does the fucking same. A bunch of fucking words to fix some gigantic fuckup.
Except AMD.

It's entirely possible that part of the court case will be their anti-competitive actions in the last few decades. Without it, there would be a more diverse set of processors on the market and less systems would be affected

the problem isn't really new buyers/purchases. (Other than retards or shills. Or normies completely unaware of the problem). It's the companies who already own hundreds of thousands of Intel CPU's in their servers/data centers already. What are they going to do? Completely abandon millions/billions of dollars worth of tech, not to mention have all their services completely halted while they move over to AMD?

Intel is playing damage control currently. Nothing more. They don't want to let everyone know just how much they fucked up and how much they're panicking. You can almost guarantee though that once the fires are put out so to speak, Everyone and their mother is looking to AMD and EPYC for their next data jump.

>I will fucking find a way that I don't have to deal with these motherfuckers
Good, comrade, good. Join the glorious MCST/VIA/Qualcomm/Jiangsu/IBM race.

I'm just hoping AMD does not do the same thing. I keep hearing people telling me they won't and they are good boys but that almost sounds a bit like I'm dealing with fucking marketers.

Well whose fucking fault is that?
If every airbag toyota had used since 1999 was faulty, and we just now found out about it, they'd fucking recall every last fucking one.

WHOSE FAULT IS IT THAT ALL THE EGGS ARE IN ONE BASKET?

issue an adjusted value compensation
Old ass CPUs would get a check for like 5$ vs newer stuff of maybe 50$
Thing is they are still selling CPUs with the flaw knowing fullwell there is a flaw that cant be fixed.
Any CPU sold after the flaw was known should get a full refund or exchange for a fixed model

>once the fires are put out everyone and their mother is looking to AMD and EPYC
They're already doing it en masse, while rabid house fire still goes on

>I'm just hoping AMD does not do the same thing.
Zen's absolutely flawless and AMD's absolutely perfect under BIG MAMA's command. There will be no Bulldozer-like screw ups anymore, not in at least 10 upcoming years that's 100% surely guaranteed.

>sounds a bit like I'm dealing with marketers
Zen is literally ABSOLUTE PERFECTION, so even if it is being hyped and marketed aggressively - it's purely because it's JUST THAT GOOD. With Zen AMD didn't just hit a goldmine. They found a mine full of solid diamonds each and every one of which is the size of human's head.

I'm not defending them user. Just calling it how I see it. Intel hasn't truly changed their architecture since the P3 design. When they tried something different (P4) it was garbage. They went back and everything since then has been P3 at its base.
AMD is a company like any other. They're in it for the profit, not the feel good. However AMD knows if they start pulling the same shit as Intel, people are going to be looking at AMD twice as much to make sure. AMD knows there is profit to be made by being the "safe" option.
That would still only be a bandaid on a bullet hole. They shouldn't be allowed to sell defective products with such a flaw. It should be illegal.

>AMD is a company like any other.

This.

I notice that there too many AMD fanboys in this thread, Lets not forget AMD Platform Security Processor (PSP). AMD’s own version of the Intel Management Engine. It has all of the same basic security and freedom issues.

Also AMD is not precisely helpful toward open source operating system.

Jokes on you AMD fanboy, I run PowerPC on my home server.

See this the problem with idiots fanboys/shills like you. Just because Intel fuck up so hard doesn't mean AMD is now god and they have no flaws you fucking imbecile.

Meanwhile:
>properly managed services aren't affected by it because they don't put multiple customer vms on a single piece of hardware (what kind of retard ever thought this was a good idea)
>properly managed services can deal with the minor slowdowns because they always have enough breathing room in terms of hardware
>explaining all this to your customers and laughing about the amateurish mistake of cloudservices that thought vms are save

well jeez, it sure is a good thing Intel bought every major FPGA manufacturer at the first hint that cloud storage hosting platforms were going to move away from Intel and towards them.

Shit happens, I forgive them. If Intel dies, without any competition, AMD will become worse than Intel ever was. I'd like to see them buttfucked, though, it can lead to some curious consequences, like their secret hardware documentation being published. If they fucked up such fundamental security functionality, how can they be trusted with ME being kept a secret black box?

>AMD is now god and they have no flaws
Exactly. Zen has no flaws and is now a god tier.

but the VMs are completely safe, as long as you're using a competent chip.
Maybe not from Spectre, but spectre can only read the memory of the process the exploit was executed in, rendering it useless in a VM break exploit (unless I'm wrong, someone tell me if I am)

>Also AMD is not precisely helpful toward open source operating system.
They aren't precisely unhelpful towards FLOSS, either. At least there they have better track record than either Nvidia or Intel.

Intel has the only actually good FOSS GPU drivers tho

>If Intel dies, without any competition
See .

>I forgive them
KYS. Like, now. Right now. JUST do it.

>what kind of retard ever thought this was a good idea
Do you really need that 16 core 64 GB RAM $20k server to host one damn personal blog? Virtual servers are cheap, scalable and a very good idea.

AMD's ME can be disabled in the BIOS though

>PowerPC on my home server.
What kind of machine is it and what OS does it run?

>See
Sure, but they won't have a customer-ready retard-friendly high-power CPU anytime soon.
>KYS. Like, now. Right now. JUST do it.
I forgive you.

>What are they going to do? Completely abandon millions/billions of dollars worth of tech, not to mention have all their services completely halted while they move over to AMD?
Yeah, actually. Intel already proved with this they can't be trusted, and at best they're already losing millions to extra power costs due to higher CPU utilization.

>AMD is not precisely helpful toward open source
>What is GPUOpen initiative
>What is Zen having fully unrestricted features and ungimped performance WITH protection patches applied after Linus freed AMD off of the temporary custody and ransom attempts

>16cores 64gb ram

Is that even enough for a webserver, application server and database?

A Power Mac G5 that was previously collecting dust and pic related.

You can run LAMP stack on 1 GB of RAM unless you get tons of traffic(well, most people us nginx instead of apache, but that shouldn't matter much).

Cores? Probably, maybe. 32 threads? No.

nice, thx

>WE

What do they by this

WHO EXACTLY REEEE HANG HIM

I host all of this on the cheapest retard-tier amazon "server" with a hyperthread instead of CPU and can handle all the users I need. Caching is magic.

>PowerPC
Why settle for a 30% performance reduction when you can have 80% and a bonus space heater. Smart.

>they won't have a customer-ready high-power CPU anytime soon
>what is Elbrus 8S2 (8/16, 14nm, ~3.5GHz, DDR4 SDRAM. To be released in mid-2018)
>what is Isaiah II/II+ and III
>what are Phytium, Loongson 3/3B, and new recently showcased Chinese CPU roadmaps

>hyperthread
Caught red-handed, lol.
I knew you were a buttmad intbecile all along.

Why are you looking at Power8 benchmarks when Power9 is already out?

Is this accessible for the common folk?

For example I have been searching the web for loongson and had no luck so far. I don't want to be scammed.

Wait, this all stems from Intel's IME?

It is literally just a month or two since Sup Forums was obsessing over how to remove it(and shilling purism in the process), and someone mentioned how disastrous it would be if the all-seeing IME was hardwired with insecure features.

Didn't think it would come true so quick.

>Is this accessible for the common folk?
Elbrus you can buy in open, if you know the stores.
Isaiah's and Loongson been selling openly for quite a while now. Sure, you highly likely won't find them at Newegg or any other retarded shithole like that, but hey, these are for REAL PEOPLE and not autistic LGBT'ing 'muriphat nigger landwhales to begin with.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with IME.

>muh shilling
>muh I'm retarded
>being impure

aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/
>Each vCPU is a hyperthread of an Intel Xeon core except for T2 and m3.medium.
It literally is a hyperthread, not a dedicated physical core. I don't need computing performance.

>Elbrus 8S2
Something that will cost $8000 but in rubles. Russian CPU architecture is superior, though.
Never heard about anything else, so it's probably some chink chong copycat shit that will reach the cheap plastic toy market for facebook-connected African villages in 10-20 years.

Yes, it entirely depends on the scale though and it's a bad idea to have all your eggs in one basket if you're running any serious service. In practice any service with large numbers of users will run on multiple machine clusters for high availability and the different (software) servers it runs may not even run on the same machines. You might have a web server cluster, a database server cluster, a message broker cluster and whatever else.

>Wait, this all stems from Intel's IME?
No, not at all. There have been recent exploits that are totally unrelated to the IME. These exploits are targeting hardware, really. There's Meltdown that's almost entirely Intel specific that's targeting speculative execution, which is a trick used to make software execute a hell of a lot faster by partial preemptive loading of certain components in the cache. It's implemented mainly in hardware and software just uses what's there, so software fixes can mitigate it to a certain extent by being patched to not utilize that hardware. But when that hardware is not utilized, the software will have to jump though extra hoops to do the same thing. This is where the 30% slowdown is happening.

I'm sure I didn't explain this correctly but it's as good as I can get it.

Mind explaining exactly how it's physically possible to recall laptop CPUs?

>Something that will cost $8000 but in rubles
1. Only first Elbrus models were expensive because they were completely new IPs, essentially proof-of-concept prototypes, and were aimed strictly at military and large governmental office sectors.
2. It's not THAT expensive. Never was. Even when first iterations of 8S just started selling, entire pre-built system (case, mobo, GPU, memory, etc) was selling for ~400000 RUR tops. Which is rouhgly 7000$ right now, with course exchange being way worse than several years ago when dollar cost much less. CPU itself was going for something like ~270000 RUR, which is ~4800$ today.
8S2 will be first fully mainstream consumer-available (still aimed at military and government offices as main usage segment, naturally) with processor, thus it's prices naturally will be at least 50% lower than what 8S was selling at when it just came out.

>Never heard about anything else, so it's probably some chink chong copycat shit
Isaiah is VIA, you retard.

You don't. You recall entire thing, not it's CPU. Repercussions will be...ugly.

theres probably some law that requires that they do it. no company would do that if they could choose to not because it costs lots of money to do.

ovh manages to sell dedicated servers at same price that many sell low spec oversold vps

Are you completely retarded? Intel does not make the rest of the laptop, they cannot recall it because they have nothing to replace it with!

>he completely doesn't understand/unable to grasp how real world works

The retailer recalls the laptop and replaces/fixes it and charge intel money in this case.

Intel just killed my old E5300. Thanks, Brian!

That's pretty cool desu. I'll buy one if it will be cheap.
Laptop vendors can initiate recall on their own and then sue Intel for causing it.

Laptop CPUs are soldered to model-specific mobos, you morons. There are no replacements.

Did any of this effect recent prices of Intel products and services? Were there any discounts or price-cuts campaigns? I know that there were some stock market fluctuations but thats it. Buggling.

SOMEONE ANSWER THIS FUCKING QUESTION!!!

AAAAH!!!
A
A
A
A
H
!
!
!

Someone in another thread linked to this: forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-update-microcode-from-windows.787152/

Will this actually help or is it just a placebo?

microcode updates need to be stored in the bios.
I would suggest to use a tool made by your mobo supplier instead.

Let's say that Intel were to work with all of the biggest manufacturers of x86 machines to do a recall, and they recall only the machines that are still under a warranty or have some kind of support deal with enterprise users. You'd still be talking about billions of CPUs. No, not billions of dollars. Billions of processors. That's fucking absurd to ever expect a recall on that scale, and it's just not happening.

Intel did the right thing by issuing microcode updates to fix this shit. What they did wrong was not notifying the public sooner, mishandled the informing of manufacturers, used underhanded tactics to drag down competition with them like trying to submit Linux kernel patches to be applied to all x86 stuff rather than just Intel, and then Microsoft issues a Windows update that corrupts the OS and makes it unbootable on some AMD machines, right after Intel offered Microsoft some free help with writing integrating those patches. Ooops!

Goddammit, if there has ever been a situation where I'm glad I bought a business laptop, it's this one, because I'll actually get a timely BIOS update. ThinkPad X230 is scheduled for early next month, I think around February second.

wE ArE tHe InTel mARineS! AnD wE WIll n0t SelL!

My mobo is over 6 years old.

Exactly.

KYS, uneducated inexperienced SJW'ing furfaggotring landwhale autist.

>Securities Class Action

I tried that with my z77 mobo and Ivy. It makes my Start and Notifications icons to stop working for some reason.

>Rahxephon

>Rahxephon

The diference is that a car has n pieces and the airbag scandal is just one of them.
If intel were to recall every single cpu they have produced since the origin of the product they would be bankrupt, over and finished.

Small sockets exist
>Socket 479
>Socket P
Anything that isn't budget trash with a Pentium or Celeron probably has a socket

why would they do that when they wont even release a updated microcode to all cpus.. that would even be muche easier and cheaper than recalling them.

>they would be bankrupt, over and finished
>dirty greedy jews

that's the point

even ram and storage is soldered now on new thin meme models also known as ultrabooks.

chiru.no/u/intel_collage.png

>only now noticed that part with MacReady

yes, case in point: the only thing I CAN upgrade on my latest laptop is storage: one slot of DDR3LP and a SATA III hard drive controller

Some of the modern Ultrabooks have expandable memory, but there's not many of them. Still, everything's going to change with Zen APU jumping into the fray. Dual-channel will become standard, 16GB will become standard, great integrated video performance, 1920x1080, actually good efficiency and thus longer battery life, etc.

>Rahxephon
The Way It Was Meant To Be™

I installed the update
DONT INSTALL IT
My fucking PC has had nothing but issues since then, shits fucking loading slow as fuck, random freezeups, long startups, its unfuckingbelievably bad

mine has been fine since the update, i7 4790k and 850 evo on sata 3, maybe slowdown is more noticable on m2 and pcie drives

>Hello, I am Maximo Autismo. I can't even see/read/comprehend OP post

I installed the Meltdown patch too and didn't notice anything at all in my day to day use or work, since I don't do anything terribly demanding (programming). CPU is a 4790k, so pretty old now. I benchmarked my most resource-intense activity, namely playing games and didn't see any significant change. 3DMark shows some minor decreases, especially in API overhead. It's very small so I doubt it'll ever be noticeable.

I don't think these cases will get that far. I truly believe that it wasn't a mistake. I think it was part of a deal/backdoor for the NSA that was never meant to be discovered and that the cases will be hindered by "national security".