Easy programming language to learn?

i am pretty new to coding, what programming language should i try to learn?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliner#Desktop_outliners
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
petesqbsite.com/
paulgraham.com/avg.html
automatetheboringstuff.com/
purple.niagara.edu/boxer/essays/soft/bwbasic.htm
sdf.org/?tutorials/basic-language
mutazilah.org/learnp.txt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_code
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

visual basic

Java

assembly

Malbolge

C# if you want a career

Install DrRacket

No... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you don’t know what kind of programs you want to make, start with python.

Not OP, but similar question:
What is a good programming language to use for todo notes?
Eg, I would typically write something like
some title:
problem a
problem b
problem c
// problem d
// some other title:
// problem a
// problem b
// problem c
// problem d

The comment thing can be anything, but I like to use programming languages as I can just turn a problem into a comment to grey it out etc.
I would like to have the title lines marked as a keyword, but usually, I need to make it snake case to keep it as a single word.
I have used assembler in the past, but I would love something with a distinct file extension so it just works in my editor.

real answer: python

you wont get bogged down in confusing syntax.

OP here. i was thinking that too. i have heard from a lot of people that it is easy for beginners

this

The one that you like or does your task best you fucking mongoloid.

Just by asking this question you make it obvious that you have no idea how a programming language works or what it even is and what it's use is, so maybe first learn that and the choice will be obvious to you afterwards.

what is the point of using a programming language as a todo list just use a text editor with a plain .txt and use your own symbols and indentations. otherwise just pick any it doesnt matter youre not gonna even be coding in the language just use one that you know that allows for quotes, block quotes, and use functions as titles or some gay shit

or program your own actual todo list instead of just using a .php extension to write mark up in a text editor. or better yet use HTML since HTML was designed to write mark up which is basically what you want to do

Go with Python. It's as powerful as any other major language, but considerably "clearer" for beginners than the rest.

Java or C# if you want something useful and not unreasonably complicated

My editor can add syntax colors like make distinctions between jobs I have done and jobs I have yet to do (comments works really well for this as the editor also can insert comments with a hotkey)
It automatically inserts fold points so I don't have to look at jobs I am not doing.

It is 99% the ideal application for a note application, I just need the best language for what I am doing

To be honest OP, it depends. If you're a beginner and you want to make programs, you should start with Python, which can do pretty much anything, and you can later move on to other languages such as C#, C++ really easily because Python is also Object-oriented. If you want to make apps/games for android, learn Java (not that easy for beginners but pretty much a must for Android). If you want to make websites, you can learn HTML, CSS and then JavaScript (best to learn in that order).

Don't lie to him user. Java's the language you want to learn if you want a career.

python 3

C++
learncpp.com has really good tutorials from absolute beginner level.

html is not human readable.
I want to have what is close to text but with automatic generation of keywords.
Writing my own syntax file is doable, but it would be easier to just use an existing language.

you, sir, are a retard.

That is no job for a programming language, but you could use markup like en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML

C ==> C++ ===> python

thanks.

Emacs org-mode, literally made for this.
* Category
** TODO Task 1
** DONE Task 2

Can also schedule tasks, create a dynamic calendar view, etc.

There's no right answer here, it just depends on what your needs are. If you're in for the long haul I'd recommend Racket and SICP for the CS side, or C / Assembly for the EE side.

Who the fuck even uses assembly anymore?

>coding

Seconding, it has some imperative functions to help

*if you want to become a code monkey

People who work with mission critical embedded systems mainly.

The answer depends on what you want to do and are interested in for embedded and speed its c and c++, for quick prototyping its either perl or Python for full commercial software its c#,java for web its php,js and ruby. Figure out what you find more interesting its easier to learn if you enjoy the side projects you make with the language you are learning.

This

C++. It's what 95% of the textbooks are written with.

Buy a mac, learn swift.
Swift and macos is so comfy... The standard libraries have everything you would ever need from muh NSView animations to digital signal processing...

this guy fucks

quick basic yo

use LaTex

If you just want to write programs, python.
If you care about computers, C.

Then learn whatever you want.

I second this, coming out of academia a lot of the latest libraries -- if they're not written for C++ or Java -- they're most likely written in Python (or R, but that's only dealing with big data and statistics).

Take your pick: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliner#Desktop_outliners

>Astronomy Pharmacology
What kind of job is this?

*if you want bread on your table everyday

Logo

I do. Every single day. Since around 1987.

Please send help.

What you're searching for is a markup language, not a programming language. Personally, I'm using asciidoc with the asciidoctor interpreter

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

Me. And this is the right answer to the thread anyway, it's a good first language for anybody

i used to frequent this site back in the day: petesqbsite.com/
mfw it's actually 2018, and the site is now 20 years old

okay, crap. 20 years minus 10 months. but still

so where would I start if I was interested?

I started with Python and it was very easy and useful to get some key concepts of programming.

Once you are familiar with one language, it becomes much easier to learn any other.

paulgraham.com/avg.html
Fuck python, learn lisp or perl.

as others said, give python a shot
don't forget to explore other langs afterwards, each has its pros and cons
"wtf is programming" level book:
automatetheboringstuff.com/

another vote for org-mode or in general, an outliner could be a program or just a text editor using a markup lang

C or C++, it's not actually more difficult to start learning with these languages and there are endless resources for learning. And seriously a year and a half into learning C or C++ you will be able to pick up Java, Python, C# or whatever in a snap. Functional programming languages will take a bit longer, but not much.

I would go for yaml / md.

me

from reading intel manuals

>you may want to start with C, then pick up C++
I can't find a serious C++ programmer who would recommend this. Learn C++ first. No don't use the online BS just get a good book like C++ Primer or something.

Python is a solid beginner's language, but I think it would be most rewarding to learn C++ first

python

>all this python shilling

My first language was Commodore BASIC. This transitioned me to 6510 Asm which started me on both eZ80 and x86_64 Asm for my calculator and computer respectively. With x86_64 I learned how to interact it with C++ so I decided to learn C and C++ for general purpose things and for comfyness. At some point I needed to learn about Arduino so I picked up a little bit AVR-C so that I could understand a bit of AVR assembly given how it is pretty simple.

Ruby

HTML, also learn to use Linux

*nim*

>HTML
>programming language

Python you fucking child

if 0
print("you are using a meme langue ")

HTML/CSS/Javscript

Web developer is a high paying job, easy to pick up compared to other kinds of coding, lots of freelance work depending on your region, and javascript is a very powerful language that you can use to code both server-side and client-side.

everyone saying ruby is trolling you

as others have said python is a great language to pick up to just learn about fundamental concepts in coding but its just as easy to get into javascript.

if u decide to take my advice feel free to DM me on discord and I'd be happy to link you learning resources, answer questions etc

ramen isnt that great#2758

>but its just as easy to get into javascript.
callbacks can be a bitch

Ruby. It's a lot like everyday, written, words. It's probably the easiest to remember and could be a confidence builder for tackling more abstract languages.

async/await.

Flowcharts, then Python

>can’t spell the word “language”
the state of python

Honestly I would start with arm, it's a bit easier to get into than x86

C

yes, really. install a *nix operating system and start reading man pages.

If you want easy then BASIC, get bwBASIC and read
purple.niagara.edu/boxer/essays/soft/bwbasic.htm
sdf.org/?tutorials/basic-language
mutazilah.org/learnp.txt

what the fuch

this is not some mozilla sjw forum, get lost

Shut up, hipster

>language is used literally everywhere
>hipster
tell that to the people who suggested him racket and lisp instead

>software engy at god tier
I FUCKING WISH
t. College SE freshman who fell for the meme

They're wrong to. C is not used "everywhere", it is a low-level language meant for low-level work. Not programmer on the planet is attempting to write operating system drivers. There is no benefit in learning C as a beginner, it's way too manual and convoluted. One should go with Python or C#.

Fuck the easiest. What's the hardest language to learn? Harder than ASM. How do I code directly in machine language 1s and 0s or the closest to it?

Machine code, buddy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_code
Anything lower than that, might as well get into EE

>go to learnpython.org/
>doesn't even list IDEs to use or the best way to start actual programming
These websites are retarded

>How do I code directly in machine language 1s and 0s or the closest to it?
my guess is you'd have to use an hex editor and assemble stuff by hand?

>no benefit in learning c
yes, understanding how programs really work.
then you have java or python codemonkeys that dont know how the stack works.

Lua

>Hurrr ik how it werk
Literally no one cares other than employers looking for C programmers. Why should someone learn to malloc pointers and create data structures, when they can call preimplemented containere? Stop trying to turn ppl into luddites, modern computers have 8gb of RAM.

Python
Java
C
Assembly
Manually entering opcodes using a hex editor

PHP was my first. I really enjoyed it.

Choosing a programming language out of thin air is like choosing to learn a natural language on a whim, you won't get anywhere and you'll wonder why you even bothered.

Follow the industry standard for whatever you are in and choose from there.

If you are still at college, then try to learn the most popular languages currently on the market. You'll find out fairly quickly which one you have the strongest affinity to and go from there.

Good luck!

>economics
Deserves its spot solely for how useful it is at weeding out the dumb-asses who pick business instead
t. econ major in classes full of business normies

>>Designing your own CPU with logic gates
>>Designing the logic gates yourself with silicon and metal
>>Fabricating your own NPN/PNP transitors
>Getting a pickaxe and going mining

Go with go my friend!

In all seriousness just go w python can't go wrong.

>mfw vb was the first lang I ever learned
>half of my highschool programming class still struggled to an unreasonable degree
>I remember one kid making an adding program that just had static text in the label from the example given in the book
>one kid said qoute "what do you mean the computer executes instructions in order"
The class was so mind numbingly easy I remember learning python on my own laptop during class because I was so far ahead.