/spg/ - Smartphone General

Android Master Race Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/packages/org.sufficientlysecure.viewer/
downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/loviewer-v12_v13/
f-droid.org/packages/org.documentfoundation.libreoffice/
firmware-finder.uptodown.com/android
updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?record=E8C6AF1CDB4F11E7A5F9FA163EE8F90B
amazon.com/LeEco-Unlocked-Smartphone-Display-Warranty/dp/B01N9541P6/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Daily reminder to not buy Huawei phones outside of Europe and chinkland otherwise you'll never get updates ever again.

Poor fag here, any suggestions to get a good deal on a Pixel 1? Or should I just keep hounding swappa and ebay?

>mfw I want the new Nokia 6 2018 although my iPhone 6s still works fine

Which one to get Sup Forums
>iphone se 128gb
>samsung galaxy s7 edge

iPhone unfortunately

S7 obviously

>Daily reminder to not buy Huawei phones
FTFY

>removed cap buttons
>fingerprint sensor sent to the back
>all of that yielded only 5mm reduction in height
>those gaudy """copper""" trims

JUST

Want a big phone? S7 edge
Want a smol phone? iphone se

Android 7: Can I make the alarm clock work when the phone is off?
It did on my old Nokia

What phones these days have cameras comparable to the G4? I always wanted a G4, but the bootloop kept me away.

On T-Mobile if it's relevant.

> power goes out
> chop *BANG* chop
> holeinwall.png

Why do I have to chop so aggressively to get flashlight? I fucked my fingers up pretty bad.

Huawei Mate 10 Pro looks decent in europe.
I want my next phone at least to support project trebble and that means it has to ship with oreo or later.

I also visually like the simmilar designed OnePlus 5T, but it doesn't ship with project trebble.
They use the snapdragon 835 like everyone else including google,
so why they don't build an offical rom with it or at least release a base rom for modders is beyond me.
The vendor partition argument is a swindle in my eyes, i guess its the same shit as with their camera driver.
Feels like Samsung all over again.

I might also look for their 6 or 6T next year with the 845 but i have mixed feelings about oneplus at this point.

My current plan is to look who gets the best lineage support of the coming lineup and looks most simillar to those two phones.

>the Samsung S9 will be less powerful than the iPhone X

Where did it go so wrong for android? Sure sucks being bottlenecked by qualcomm eh?

>MUH BENCHMARKS

if you want lineage then why do you care about treble?

Polfag here, I'm looking for ~175$ smartphone, which will have:
-good camera
-good battery
-min. 2GB RAM

My choose for now is Asus Zenfone 3 Max ZC520TL
Any more recommendations?

I want to root my Moto G5+ in order to:
- Escape advertising
- Remove bloat
- Disconnect it from the Google Bootneet
- Customize it
- Make it more secure

But I also don't want to brick the phone.
Has anyone here successfully rooted and used custom ROMs on any Moto G5 series phone? It works decently already, but I can't trust it as I can't verify that it's not doing something I don't want it to do.

Any good apps for documents viewing

how do I fast forward audio on Android using the earphone buttons?

To fast forward using special apps, you need to be able to hold down the pause/play button. However, Google Assistant activates when you hld this button. I have disabled google but there is still no effect.

Document Viewer - f-droid.org/packages/org.sufficientlysecure.viewer/
LibreOffice Viewer - downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/loviewer-v12_v13/ (older version also here: f-droid.org/packages/org.documentfoundation.libreoffice/ )

Wait, my 6x works just fine. I have Android 7 and EMUI 5.0.1. what am I missing?

I like both Moto G5s and Moto G5+, I know that plus is better value but I have reservations about 5,5" screen, I think 5,2" screen would work much better for me, yet I have a feeling not getting a better CPU version will bite me in the ass in the future. Any 5s+ owners here who can share the experience of using a larger phone? I mostly worried about keeping it in front pocket of jeans (that it won't fit) and holding it one-handed (It'd be easy to drop).

Femanon here

The Huawei P9 Plus (the model in your screen shot) received the Nougat update

Try this shitty but working apk to force your phone to download it if you've got a weird customised version

firmware-finder.uptodown.com/android

Already tried that shitty app and did not work it fails at 3% of the install but thanks for trying sweetie xx.

Been using the Mate 10 Pro for a few hours now, got it for 500$ AMA

Also LG K220 X POWER and Motorola Moto E4 Plus DS look nice.

It's easy unless you bought the Amazon sponsored version.

Huawei mate 10 pro y / n

What are your thoughts on the Sony Xperia XA1? I've been interested on it for a while.

The XA2 is a massive upgrade and is releasing soon.

>mediatek
wait for XA2

>Those specs.
Really nice! I can't believe that its considered a medium-tier phone. How does Sony do when it comes to upgrades, support and all that?

I might be wrong but I believe they are one of the fastest to update their phone

Does it work on Sprint?

hmmm

nice malware machine

I have no idea as I am outside of the US, I've heard people advising against getting a Huawei in the states due to poor support but I haven't looked into it.

is xiaomi spying on me?

how is the moto z2 force? they just got a physical keyboard mod, and I like physical keyboards.

lineage + F-droid + yalpstore + magisk + xposed + twrp master race reporting for duty

Plastic screen scratches and dents if you look at it the wrong way.

y

Sick of my shitsung s7. 1.5 years in and it's slowed down considerably, shuts down at 40% battery and claims to have 0% charge when plugged in post shutdown.

At this point I'm considering lying at the heart of skynet with a pixel 2 or 2xl..or switching to an IPhone 8+.

Are the pixel issues overblown or is it really a lottery on what issues you will get?

I'm thinking of buying a Moto Z2, but I'm worried about screen burn ins with AMOLED. Is this a common issue with these types of screens?

Only time my display is static for long periods of time is when I use GPS.

Otherwise I'm thinking of getting a Sony XZ Premium since it had an IPS LCD

but other than that, is it good?

Burn in is pretty much inevitable and it'll be piss yellow within a year or so.

S8 is based

So where can I download the stock rom for my galaxy s6 because sammobile is the only place I can find it and i'm not waiting 20 hours.
> inb4 use a custom rom
US cellular garbage

updato

flashed an incorrect lineage room like 3 years ago and haven't used it since, so I cant

updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?record=E8C6AF1CDB4F11E7A5F9FA163EE8F90B

Why name the website that? thanks

Overblown. There maybe some bad ones circulating tho idk. I've had my xl for about a month and there's nothing wrong besides a slight blue tint at extreme angles

So why is it being pushed for all flagships to have?

Because it looks amazing on display models and for the first 6 months or so of actual use.

I'm asking since all I've read are complaints on shitty bluetooth, usb-c headphones not working, shitty call quality, crushing blacks on the display, nfc interfering with calls, shitty wifi antenna, and more. I'd also be paying upfront since I'm not on Verizon, and from what I can understand, the finance is credit dependent?

what the fuck is this post?

I use Bluetooth headphones and haven't had any problems yet, call quality is good, there is a shadowy black effect if your brightness is all the way down. Yeah it's credit dependent

>I use Bluetooth headphones and haven't had any problems yet

Yes, good goy, we don't want headphone jacks

I just got an XZ Premium and the screen sometimes doesn't register touches, what gives? Anyone have the same issue?

What do you guys think of Xiaomi phones?

Alright. I just keep seeing issues with it and am hesitant to pay so much upfront, but I'd really like to stay on android. I'm just tired of having to deal with every android phone having a compromise. If I'm shelling out the $800+,I don't want to deal with RMA'ing anymore.

He's talking about the 'shake twice in a chopping motion' to turn on flashlight. Only on moto phones I believe.

which one Sup Forums?

Sony Xperia XZ vs Nokia 8 vs OnePlus 3T?

Need a little help. Is it possible to have my Note 8's home screen rotate to landscape mode? The options I get when I swipe from top to bottom is vertical and automatic, but the home screen won't rotate... I don't get pic related at all, I wish it could rotate automatically since I'm using my phone in both positions all the time

terrible chink software, average build quality, bad cameras, good price

Is there not a single damn phone available with a 5 inch screen, good custom ROM support and at least a Snapdragon 600 series CPU? I barely ask for anything and I still get let down

Why the fuck does the Asus ZenFone Max Plus have a MediaTek processor now? Why would they do this?

Because nobody buys shitty Asus phones so they can do it to keep cost down

Pixel 2?

That doesn't cost 1000 bucks, and it's not even sold where I live anyways. If I could afford one then I wouldn't need to run custom ROMs

Moto X4?

Then be more specific family
You said not a single phone

Everyone says to get the G5S+ instead

What is Sup Forums's consensus on the razer phone? it sounds a little too good to be true

Doesn't have good custom ROM support and is 5.2 inches

Kinda poor atm, looking for a well rounded phone since mine broke, doesnt matter if chink, have been looking around and found the leeco pro 3 for 163 burgerbucks, y/n? Other recomendations or things i should know?

Nokia 8, easily. A 2017 flagship whereas the other two are from 2016

>Sony Xperia XA1
phone looks real nice. but those bezels :/

Are there any good phones that won't steal my information?

I'm late to the party, what is this mediakek meme? Why are they bad?

Shit performance compared to Snapdragon equivalent, essentially no custom ROM support, chink botnet.

Which phone displayed at CES2018 would you personally buy?

Been using a Redmi note 4 for the last week.
miUI didn't seem that bad but lineage OS is better and you don't have to trust Zhang Wang Dong with your info. It's not hard, maybe I got lucky but everything just werked the first time, no complications. Download and run shit, follow instructions, done.
Build quality is 80%, the borders where the aluminum body meets the plastic caps are a little sharp and the sim tray door wiggles slightly, but nothing serious.
Camera is as good as I think a phone camera needs to be. Get a real camera if you want anything more. Takes serviceable pictures, you can tell what you're looking at.
Very slight hiss over headphones, only really noticeable with some songs.
Screen is great, if you're already used to some samsung amoled display it might not measure up but I've got nothing bad to say about it.
Snapdragon 625 is plenty powerful enough for everything 95% of people want to do with their phone.
The battery is huge and I'm never going back to a small battery again.
Spent the equivalent of 170usd on it, for the price I have no complaints.

Honestly anything more is heavy diminishing returns and I get more out of my phone than all my coworkers with their 600-1000$ fashion accessories they're still going to be paying for 3 years from now. Feels good when people have to hunt for a place to charge their phones and I'm sitting there at 45% with another solid day of average use left.

Instead of doing actually chops like a retard, jiggle your phone with your wrist

OnePlus?

nvm fixed it

>163 burgerbucks
If that's the X722 version (SD820), don't bother, it's shit. You can get the US version (with SD821) for $189 off Amazon
amazon.com/LeEco-Unlocked-Smartphone-Display-Warranty/dp/B01N9541P6/

Another phone worth considering is the Redmi Note 4 (Global version)

Most decent under 100$ smartphone?

Moto X4 Android One is on sale right now for $329

I'm considering buying it, because I don't need a flagship but I've been using budget phones for a few years and want something a little nicer.

My question is, if I buy the Android One device, does that mean I should expect more OS and security updates vs. a regular unit?

is android 6 considered old? Im thinking of trying out an iphone because making calls/texting/switching apps lags. Its frustrating, end a call, end call button disapears, looks like im still on the call.. wait... finally closes. Cant switch apps either. Also, if my phone is locked and i reply to a text or answer a call its just doomed. I use android 6 octacore, 4gb. Im so over it. Also tried cyanogen. All have tremendous UI lag.

Not without a lot of work.

I'm on a Moto G4 Play which is a budget phone from last year and a Snapdragon 410, and I don't experience any app or phone lag. What phone are you using?

Its not at ces, but s9

>octacore
Yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your hardware isn't nearly as good as you think it is. Also cyanogenmod has been dead for like a year now.

Verizon prepaid Moto E4 if you're a burger. It's around $40, unlock it with a $2 code off eBay. You might be able to find it unlocked for $99. If you're not a burger then some chinkphone like Redmi 4A / 5A / Note 5A is probably your best choice (they sell for ~$90)

Why can't you use Redmi as a burger?