wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (NET ISO)
debian.org/CD/netinst/

>Void (Hipster but works)
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/

>Alpine (Pretty damn minimal)
alpinelinux.org/downloads/

Get recommendations to see if your system is bloat or not.

>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

What is software minimalism?
suckless.org/philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

Why software minimalism?
>fewer bugs
>better performance
>lower memory footprint
>better maintainability
>higher scalability
>longer software lifetime
>prompt delivery

Beginners guide to GNU/Linux minimalism

1) Get comfortable with the terminal and learn terminal commands. Practice makes perfect.

computerhope.com/unix.htm
computerhope.com/unix/overview.htm
computerhope.com/unixtop1.htm

2) Try one of the listed GNU/Linux distros inside a VM (Virtual Machine) before installing it on real hardware

3) Ask questions in the thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

cl.cam.ac.uk/~sd601/papers/mov.pdf
github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/movfuscator
suckless.org/philosophy
wiki.debian.org/WiFi
wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
suckless.org/rocks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reposting WM ram comparison

Reposting Arch explanation:

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc.

>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream, which means they could be very unstable
>(arch vs gentoo related) arch users complain about muh compile time when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *-git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you to install a shit ton of GUI stuff you'll never need nor use
>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

Reposting autistic minimalism rant:

The thing for me when it come to this is that I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of bloat in popular applications and environments.

Let's take the picture viewer as an example. What does it do? That's right! It views pictures! We have also seen picture viewers that can run with very tiny amounts of ram, and do their job pretty well. Why then should we be using a picture viewer that does the exact same practical thing as this minimal picture viewer, but is 10+ times heavier?

I've heard this a lot, the whole "lel just get a newer computer grandpa!"
I'd like to let you know that I use minimal setups both on a 2012 Fagbook Pro, and a Xeon workstation being used as a desktop. Both of these have 16+ GB of memory.
What you have to understand is that just because we have the resources, doesn't mean it's right to use them to the limit. Why should we artificially use more resources for the same tasks just because we have the capability to do it. That's retarded. At that point we should just rewrite the kernel in electron because clearly anyone who has a problem with that just needs to download more wam.

Another key component for me is that achieving a high level of minimalism often involves switching to a vey terminal-heavy lifestyle. This is good as it provides a universal interface. The interface used to shitpost, consume content, and whatnot, is the same interface that would be used when administering a server, when configuring my NAS, when working with Amazon EC2 installations, etc.

Why do you hate keeping things simple? Why do you want things to use more resources than they have to to complete their function?

also x86 is not /minimal/
cl.cam.ac.uk/~sd601/papers/mov.pdf
github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/movfuscator

>he doesn't use CPUs only made of NAND gates

Pic related is the future we need.

You're just asking for me to shit all over your naivete and your narrow worldview of software design.
Minimalist software means less features, less code, and smaller codebases.
This is not always ideal, and usually means the program and it's algorithms were written in the most naive, simplest way possible, with no room for optimization.
Take for example, bubblesort.
It's very simple and only requires 2 for-loops, yet it's extremely slow as opposed to something like quicksort which can be over 100 lines of code and difficult to understand, but extremely performant for sorting non-trivial datasets.

It also means that your program makes zero attempt to cover edge cases which throws away opportunity for performance enhancements or even quality of life feature improvements.
As a simple example, go look at that piss basic x window manager written in 20 lines of code. Just the code required to implement a piss basic feature you take for granted like snapping the window to the sides or dragging the titlebar to the top of the screen to maximize would be much more than 100 lines of code.

>Minimalist software means less features
stopped here

Who is this cute girl?

that's a boy

its a boy!

uwu fag, you don't need to post this everytime....
Also thanks for making the new thread, i was gonna do it anyway

I tried to use a minimalist wm, but I ran back to xfce after I realized none of them support modern EMWH/NetWM syscalls for scripting windows.
Plus, I missed the little things, like decent font rendering.

yes i do and you're welcome!

>Minimalist software means less features, less code, and smaller codebases.

This thread targets on these subjects
>OS
>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal
And nothing else.

Those are all software that would stand to benefit from large featuresets and optimization.

features you don't even need
See suckless.org/philosophy

suckless and the people that run it are fucking autistic

WOW
GUI SETTINGS PANELS FOR A GUI APPLICATION IS BLOAT!
Better make the user edit the settings in the SOURCE CODE and recompile if they want to change the defaults.

>featuresets and optimization.
Why do you want to add 100+ features to a program?

>comes into a minimalism thread
>shits on minimalism
You have to go back bloated fag. You sound like a butt hurt developer. Fucking kek

Long time lurker. What does it mean if I like minimalism but hate everyone who posts here?

>autists have to repost the same copypasta to convince themselves that a distro they are too stupid to use is actually bad

To be fair, recompiling everything is pretty autistic. I think having a regular config file is good enough, just like i3, bspwm, and herb slut wm

Although if you're going for MAXIMUM MINIMALISM, then the most minimal tiling WM does require a recompile (Franken)

>posting the guy who runs full blown fedora

>>a distro they are too stupid to use
>Gentoo is listed as acceptable in the OP
yeah no

literally a quote from suckless
>Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it’s pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist.
Says everything you need to know about those people

>openbox uses more RAM than the whole idle Win95

Forget that, look at AwesomeWM!
What the fuck happened?

Where's bspwm?

the person who made this left it out because it requires a keybinding daemon, which makes it harder to determine. Although someone said that bspwm itself (without the daemon) is 1.1M. In between musca and herbslut

And after all this elitism and autism, they aren't even the lightest wm

The reason I prefer minimalism while using *nix isn't primarily because of autism, but rather because it's the only way the freetards can get it right.

It's 2018 and "desktop linux" is still a sorry sack of shit, not just to use, but to develop for as well. Not only are there no standards, but the target is constantly shifting.

So yes, gui setting panels are bloat, because they're almost always disgusting, disorganized, and have absolutely no sense of conformity whatsoever with the 32492485234582 different desktop environments. It's just a waste of the developer's time, they are going to fuck it up anyway.

So just stick with a text config and spend that time somewhere else. There will probably be some 12 year old who read daddy's first GTK application who's willing to do that shitty GUI editor for you anyway.

Editting text configs is annoying and autistic, but it's consistent and can be implemented in a second for the developer, who already has enough shit to worry about trying to make software for freetards.

If I don't want to sit there editting config files like an autist all day (and believe me, I don't) then I just suck it up and use Windows.

Jokes on fucking you, i use vanilla dwm. It works perfectly. I don't waste my time ricing.

A nice quote

"Minimalism = A very good thing
Too much of something is never good."

owo

What is the point in this post? If you don't want to use Linux then use something else... It sounds to me like you hate freedom of choice. You just want big daddy developer to tell you what to use, and how to use it. That's a mactoddler's mindset. Someone who truly respects freedom would champion the people who contribute to free and open software. They would understand that fragmentation is choice and choices mean freedom.

>dat staggering 51 minute uptime

>palemoon
>palemoon
>palemoon
>palemoon
>palemoon
>owo
>palemoon
>palemoon

See, an example of fucking vanilla dwm

>You just want big daddy developer to tell you what to use, and how to use it
ok so that daddy talk was hot OwO, but i agree with this.

I think its part of why windows and mac users dont like linux. They want a centralized OS coming from one source.
Although with the way pooterring and redhat are going, they may get their wish.

>They want a centralized OS coming from one source.
Why don't they try BSD, then?

>palemoon
>virtualbox

literally who?

also, to clarify, I obviously know what BSD is, but still, it's even more "literally who" than GNU/Loonix
also all the GUI software is just GNU/Loonix stuff ported over. Same shit.

Yes, but they are all centralized, distinct OSes coming from one source each.

>also all the GUI software is just GNU/Loonix stuff ported over. Same shit.
Yes, but "GUI software" is not what Poeterring or Red Hat are tackling - if anything, GNOME is, but a lot of DEs and software is also moving to Qt at the same time.

There is nothing wrong using kde or whatever. Its just that gnu/linux is soo customizable that you can take out bunch of bloat from your computer

yay you get it! ^.^

Avatarfagging is against the rules.

Please refrain from posting your cartoon twinks to signify that's it's you posting. No one fucking cares.

ok sorry

Shitty lua modules moved into the default config I guess. Also it isn't maintained by the original guy anymore.

Some of them do do EWMH and font rendering is unrelated.

>decent font rendering
>he calls letter smearing "decent font rendering"

So where does sway fit in there?

Debian wiki and google couldn't explain me how to install wifi drivers or 6 year old Radeon card drivers for the latest version.

So I went Fedora. But it's a little limited compatibility wise (though its wonderful how everything just werks out the box).

Is it worth giving Debian another shot? I'd go GNOME btw, because I came from XFCE but tried GNOME when installing Fedora and its great. Stable and stays out of the way (unlike KDE)

bump

>wayland

yes

I need an alternative for Network Manager.

Also anyone with Debian, what's your package count. I know it's not a good indicator of minimalism, but I'm at 1400 and use my laptop for data analysis, visualization, machine learning, and robotics.

sounds more minimal to me

This i'd like to know. Network Manager is probably bloat or something, but nothing else out there is as simple to use.
I hear Connman is good, so maybe that?

Ultimate debloat method
find / -atime +30 -exec rm {} \;

no

Why not raw framebuffer?

>prompt delivery
What is this?
>Void (Hipster but works)
Wtf why void is hipster?

Does anyone use stterm?

you mean suckless st?
It's alright, but using the daemonization mode of rxvt-unicode is even lighter.

wpa_supplicant of course and it takes a bit configuring. Look at your distros wiki on how to set it up

Does it allow you to easily scan for wifi networks, connect to them, and disconnect from them?
How would you do that?

>Debian
>i3
>mpd+ncmpcpcpcpcpcp....
>feh
>ranger
>nvim
>bash
>qutebrowser
>Urxvt

>ncmpcpcpcpcpcp....
kek

bump

>Debian
good
>i3
use dwm
>mpd+ncmpcpcpcpcpcp....
cmus
>feh
good
>ranger
use your shell as your file manager
>nvim
idk, just use nano or vim
>bash
mksh, bash is bloated
>qutebrowser
cool i guess
>Urxvt
good

Well tell me what distro you are using

Shouldn't it be the same with any distro?

No, it kinda differs

that's really fuckin gay, and not in the good way, owo.
Debian and Void.

Was thinking about dwm, but not sure if it's really a benefit to learn something new. It's not like i3 is slowing me down.

>mksh, bash is bloated
screw both of them. use ksh93.

Just keep using i3. That way when its time to move to Wayland, you can keep your config (sway will accept your i3 dotfile)

You gotta know which wifi driver to install first. (very important)
wiki.debian.org/WiFi

Then you go here
and look at wpa_supplicant config

wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

idk about void, it has shit documentation

There isn't any learning curve, its barebones . Just try it man

okay? Tell me why mksh is shit? It's really fucking fast. I'd rather use ash than ksh93

ksh93 is apparently even faster than mksh according to a benchmark I saw, it has better shell scripting features like floating point arithmetic (might be useful if you script a lot), and its tab completion is pretty unique.

so just to connect to wifi, I have to edit some file and put the ssid and hash and stuff into it?
yeah fuck that

idk but i follow this man. suckless.org/rocks
mksh, dash and ash are the only minimal ones i know. ksh93 seems gay and it's

wifi is bloat. I don't even have wifi drivers. I use ethernet. Ethernet is the true redpill

Good for you. Unfortunately I have a laptop, so ethernet isn't feasible.

I have a laptop too... Your laptop doesn't have an ethernet port?

Nope. I'll be getting one later that has one, but currently I need wifi.
Even if I got a laptop with ethernet, I would still require the ability to connect to Wifi.

Also I have no idea why you're so surprised I need Wifi, considering that this was literally the first question I asked you. See:

>Nope. I'll be getting one later that has one
You bought a shitty laptop lmao

No love for scrotwm?

What does Loonix have to do with that animu character. Seriously man, get hold of yourself.

Im the original founder of this thread. This uwu fag hijacked it, he likes gay anime shit

>what does Loonix have to do with animu
Many loonix contributors are weebs, ya know. Just look at their github profiles.

I cant help it!

>dash and ash
But you can't perform a decent shellscripting on them.

>Sees trap character
>Sup Forumsay

whatever. wpa_supplicant looks unfeasible. connman looks way better.
connmanctl scan wifi
connmanctl services (prints the scan results)
connmanctl connect *name of network* (may prompt for password if the wifi is protected)