/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

SaaS

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ccd0/Sup
boards.Sup
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

New PC, has Ubuntu installed. Want to install windows 7 and then upgrade to 10 but it doesn't recognize the CD. What do?

*Ubuntu recognizes CDs no problems it just doesn't do anything when the Windows 7 installation is inside. PC didn't recognize W7 even before I installed Ubuntu

Who here has a keyboard without a numpad and why?
I genuinely want to know why someone would buy one.

I'm having an impossible time getting Sup Forums-X to work.
Running Greasemonkey 4.1 and the script at github.com/ccd0/Sup Forums-x .
It literally worked until I closed my browser.

I'm not even sure how to debug this piece of shit extension, where to find its error logs or where user scripts are even supposed to be stored on disk.

Been using tenkeyless for the last ~5 years, the day you get a tenkeyless is the day you realize how little you actually use your numpad. In a work environment or something I could see it being a detriment just because of less flexibility, but at home I couldn't give a fuck. Literally, since switching the only thing I can think of that's required a numpad was my GTAIV trainer. Also, the extra desk real estate is perfect for me because I play CS with a bigass mousepad.

I'm on 12 year old hardware. Am I at risk of meltdown and spectre?
And what should I do about my much newer phone?

How do I get started with rss?

Does orangechat.io mask your IP? How can I know if an irc server masks IPs?

So it's pretty much possible to compile any source code and make it compatable for Linux? Is closed source games the reason devs don't port their games to Linux?

Few of questions right here.
Where do I can actually learn to program? I feel like i'm not learning anything useful (at all) at college.
Best pages for documentation of different languages (intersted in python, c++, java and webdev (html,php,js...))?
And last one, gimme some ideas to make projects that make me improve my skills

New install of macOS here, I have a 128gb SSD and a 1TB HDD as secondary storage. Should I put the entire user directory on that secondary drive or just symlink some home folders?

>Where do I can actually learn to program?
The C programming language, look it up.

Do you amerifats have grounding on your 2-pin plugs or something? I need to plug your shit into a UK socket and I'm wondering if I could ever need anything fancier than a £4 chinkshit adapter off amazon.

Get an rss reader. Hand it rss feeds (like boards.Sup Forums.org/g/index.rss). That's pretty much it.

If you somehow need more info,

i torrented windows 7 years ago and i have a product key for it
will the key work on 10?

thanks m8

Whats the difference between a desktop environment and window manager?

I don't feel like finding a newer version of this. Dig one up, if it bothers you.

What's the best way to connect to the internet? Routing an ethernet cable to my location would be very difficult (unless I want it to look ugly as shit) and the router is very close to me. Would a wifi card be alright?

A DE usually includes a window managed and a bunch of other stuff. Some of that "other stuff" can be unrelated to windows/desktops (e.g. terminal emulators), others are more pertinent (like panels, or - less so - display managers).

use ethernet. you will have a million other cables coming out of the back of your pc anyway

That's kind of what wifi was made for yeah

What do you want to program? What career path are you taking?

If you dont know, c++ is the best language. If your school isnt teaching c++, id seriously consider transferring.

How can you learn? Get a book on the language and start yourown project. Lots of books you can find for free.

The project will depend on what field youre interested in. Tell me a general field and I might be able to suggest a project

After I shutdown my PC via windows shutdown the fans stay on for a few seconds after the screen goes back.
I've looked around but can only find cases where their PCs literally do no fully shut down.
Any idea?

NA plugs would have a third prong if there was grounding. If it's only two prong, don't worry too much.

It's two prong, excellent. Thanks

Is there a downside to using NiceHash to mine bitcoins while I'm at work/sleeping? From what I can tell people are saying it won't affect my gpu/cpu lifespan very much and I pay a flat amount for electricity so it seems like a win/win.

I mean the current ethernet port is across the room from my desk, and I can't route through the basement or the ceiling

I have a website idea but no coding experience (except HTML, back when Angelfire and Geocities was popular). What's a good way of finding and hiring someone to develop it? Think basic social media platform that would require login/password which users can submit data.

TIA

>field youre interested in. Tell me a general field and I

The school is teaching C++. I've get into templates, inheritance, trees and a bit of graphs and some hashing (I don't understant this one at all). I guess I'm having a good base, but they're not giving projects that actually make an useful use of it, I don't know man.

For the projects, I'm really intersted into machine learning, IA, bots and things like that, but I've also curiosity for GUI apps and front-end development.

>I pay a flat amount for electricity so it seems like a win/win
yea then sure, electricity costs are the #1 reason not to mine because it makes profits negligible or even negative in many, many places

>Is there a downside to using NiceHash to mine bitcoins
No clue what nicehash is, but unless you have an ASIC the downside to mining bitcoins is that you could be making an order of magnitude more by mining a CPU coin. Go mine Monero or something.

>it won't affect my gpu/cpu lifespan very much
There'll be an effect but unless you plan on keeping the same rig for a decade it probably won't matter to you. The main issue here are temperatures, while modern components will throttle to prevent damage if you run them 24/7 at high temps they'll start slowly degrading. Either throttle, or undervolt, if you want to maximise lifespan (and if you can undervolt without needing to underclock and stay reasonably stable, you'll basically get lower temps and less power consumption with minimal performance costs).

No, you didnt update your key when it was free.You have to pay

Under the carpet

Wait, are you trying to launch the windows 7 disk INSIDE ubuntu?

Thanks for that, I'll look into throttling my gpu at least.

NiceHash is just a super user friendly cryptomining service that's good to go in a few minutes and takes about a 3-5% cut. I know very little about it, but it will net me about $100 a month so I figured it's a good place to start til I learn more. It only offers payment in bitcoin, but I'll look into Monero and other coins as I learn more, thanks a bunch.

Probably. It did like a month ago, but they they might be plugging it

pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Will me walking on it all the time eventually break it?

>"super user friendly"
>$100/months on CPU
Without doing any research whatsoever, my best guess is it mines whatever altcoins are profitable, and auto-converts them into bitcoin, thus paying out in bitcoin so the users don't have to setup their own wallets for random shit. Because I highly doubt you could get anywhere near those yields just directly mining bitcoin on a normal desktop.

In view of this, go right ahead, other stuff might be more suitable for powerusers or give you more control or eke out a tiny bit more profit, but generally speaking mining pools that dynamically mine whatever's most profitable and take a few percent as a cut are the norm, so you're on the right track and won't be missing out on any huge profits.

What laptop should I buy: one with Pentium CPU, that would not overheat, because Pentium doesn't have turbo boost, or with Core i5, that will overheat, but will give more powah for short period of time?

I'm thinking of buying an SSD

1) How do I know if my motherboard/PSU have the right connections?
2) Can i just add it to my already existing PC and install a new OS on it without the old HDD sperging out at it?

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance and info

And I only got that $100 number from a price estimations on their site with my gtx 970 is supposedly making ~$3.95 a day so we'll see.

Running a .bat file in a folder with the files I want to mux. What's the difference between
FOR /F "delims=*" %%A IN ('dir /b *.MKV') DO "C:\Program Files\mkvtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe"
and
for %%A IN (*.mkv) do ( "C:\Program Files\mkvtoolnix\mkvmerge.exe"
(if any)?

No, it is padded, well unless you weigh like 500lbs,even then you can get "flat" cables that are flush to the ground and not round

1) If it's a SATA ssd, then exactly the same way as when buying a SATA hdd, there's no magic about it. If it's PCIe or M.2, they plug directly into the motherboard so don't need a PSU connector, just check whether you have a free PCIe port or, for M.2, whether your mobo has any of those ports AND whether your SSD will fit - there are couple different lengths and sometimes the layout of the mobo means not every length will fit

2) Absolutely, it'll be like dual booting except on physically separate disks instead of the more usual partition setup. If you're going to be dual booting though consider later putting both OSes on partitions on your SSD, because boot times are one of the major advantages.

No. I put it in on startup, OC didn't recognize it so I installed Unbunu as temp OS. Now I want to install 7 to get windows 10 but I have no idea what to do since it still doesn't recognize the CD on startup

Best torrent client for w10 64-bit? Bittorrent and utorrent refuse to work.

Can you put a larger SSD into something like a chromebook? I'm looking for a cheap laptop and/or 2-in-1 kind of deal, for reading comics, watching series, and working on word/excel stuff when I'm not at home.

Transmission

Deluge

Instead of buying windows again for a new build I am about to finish, should I pull windows 10 from my laptop and install a different OS on it?

qbittorrent

How can I connect a 5.25" internal drive to my computer externally? My case is ITX and has no slot to install it internally.

I think it would depend on the Chromebook. Laptops can be tricky to replace parts in because they're so compact, but I don't see why you couldn't switch out the SSD if they were the same physical size. I would do some research first to see which models are easier to work on and go from there if I were you.

I second qbittorrent. It has a great feature that lets you search for torrents from within the client.

Please help, I don't want to ask in /pcbg/, I was thinking that if I ripped windows off of this laptop I can install ubuntu instead

What do you mean by "ripping" or "pulling" Windows off of your laptop?

Sorry, I am retarded and do not know most of the correct terminology. Since this laptop has Windows 10 OS and the license key preinstalled, I am wondering if I should put it onto a usb stick/harddrive w/ the licensing key and move it to a new desktop, then throw ubuntu or another distro on this laptop for everyday use.

I have created a 1800x1200 pixels in GIMP. I am trying to print it on 4x6 inch photo paper. No matter what I do, the top of the photo is slightly cropped at the top by about 1/8 of an inch by my estimate.

I print photos all the time and I guess I never noticed but now it matters because I'm printing ID photos that must be 2 x 2 inches exactly, with a certain requirement for headroom.

Tried printing through windows photo gallery, windows printer prompt, chrome, even sent it to a drug store to be "professionally" printed. No dice.

TL;DR, 1800x1200 px photo being cropped when printing on 4x6 inch paper. What do?

I just set up Plex on Debian stretch and it wont show any folders or files in two of my drives. I read about changing the user the service runs as but I've changed it in two locations and it still runs as the Plex server I also did chmod 777 on both the drives and it made no difference. I also added the Plex user to my user group and some some group which supposedly let's it access mounted drives but it made no difference. It worked without problem when I was running it on mint

use the script from greasy fork and if that doesn't work just use tamper monkey I have seen tonnes of people complain about problems with Sup Forums x and oneechan and they always have a script extension which isn't tamper monkey. I have been using tamper monkey for like a year never had a single problem not even when quantum was first released

in any language how do you allow user input but continue the code if nothing is entered?

Or let me put this another way, how can I print 6 2x2 in images on 4x6 paper without it getting cropped for some apparent reason?

Doing this because drug stores charge $0.33 for a 4x6 inch print but $13 dollars per print for "ID photos", and it would cost me $78 for my family to do it that way instead of less than a buck

This is a really stupid question, but does anyone know of a software that will scan a directory and all of its sub directories for images and then dump them all into a single folder?

I've got years of images saved from Sup Forums and various other forums, but I organized it like shit so it's a real labyrinth of untitled folders and duplicated files. Ideally I'd like to just dump it into a single folder and start again.

I'll even take a bash script. (I'd make it myself, but not experienced enough to know what commands to chain together for this.)

Unfortunately, I don't think that moving a Windows installation is that easy. A quick google search tells me that Microsoft does not support transferring a Windows installation to another computer. You might be able to clone your laptop's drive with a third-party tool and transfer that to your desktop's drive, but you might run into some issues. I think the problems would be a result of the way Windows connects hardware with various drivers.

tldr; Microsoft has a tool that lets you transfer your Windows installation, but it only works if you're transferring it to a computer with the exact same specs. You might be able to use a third-party tool to do this but there's no guarantee it would work perfectly.

please help a dipshit out

I don't know since when but without changing anything on my wind blows 10 machine when I download torrent files with chrome (with auto open) it tries to open a new utorrent (2.2.1) process even if there's one already open

how fix, or where would you guess the fault lies

What model? Any laptop could have any connectors inside of it, either for 2.5" sata or m.2 sata (b key) or m.2 pciex4 (m key). Open one up and see what's inside or look up a youtube video of someone doing a teardown of it.

Fair enough, thanks user

What OS?

Should i buy a Mac or a Windows?, i'm a CS student that uses mostly java everyday

I don't have a particular model in mind yet, I'm just trying to look at what options I have while staying a cheapskate. I like the relatively good screens and battery life on the chromebooks, but I'm worried about how well they take linux.

I've also been eyeing secondhand thinkpads/elitebook/latitude, but the screens seem kinda bad and they're more expensive over here than they are in the US.

My mother just got a new computer. She uses it for work. What are some good antivirus/antimalware programs? I know "common sense" she has some of that. But she would like something on the side that windows defender can't help with. I'd appreciate it bros. Thanks.

There are a few linux distros designed specifically for chromebooks. They might be worth looking into.

Oh right, sorry, Mac OSX.

Malware Bytes. The free version works well enough.

Maybe try this? Not a program but it could work for you.
macworld. com/article/3164408/photography/how-to-find-all-photos-on-your-mac.html

At what point does the CPU, currently, become a bottleneck for gaming given a top end GPU (not SLI)?

Is there an app on Fdroid that functions both as a calendar and a daily journal?

What can I use to edit pdf's? I need to fill out a form and I'm pretty sure sumatra is only a pdf reader unless I'm missing something.

is there a way to broadcast music over internet with foobar?
i tried to find anything about it but everything is only about listening to internet radio, not making your own radio station with foobar

How do I get into safe mode in Windows 10 blindly? New driver update got corrupted or something and now all it displays is a black screen. My cpu doesn't have internal graphics so I can't switch to that.

>F-droid

Yeah, that'll work. I'll probably need to let it sit and read/build the index for a long while though.

Thanks!

Hoping for better advice than /pcbg/

I'm doing my first build. It'll essentially be the most technologically taxing thing I've had to do, I've sheltered myself a lot. Anyway, I'm curious about how high I need to aim on parts. I'm really just looking for an upgrade to my laptop which is like a 4th gen i7 with a geforce 745m. It served its purpose when I got it 5 years ago, but I need a change.

Questions are:
>processor - ryzen 5 1600/1600x vs i5-8600k?
Intel fiasco aside, are amd processors good?
>gpu - looking at a 1060 3gb, but open to suggestions
I'm not set on any graphics card yet, but this seems like a decent midrange piece.
I basically play dota, rocket league, and a few bethesda games. I don't plan on overclocking anything, and I don't need to go beyond 1080p or into vr territory. Will these be good for my needs, or potentially too much?

please explain it like im a retard

I have a question regarding universities. I often hear about schools like MIT and whatnot and how they're supposed to be a big deal if you graduate from them. I'm only a year into my college career studying CS at a CUNY school and I know for a fact that I'll be continuing down this line. Is it worth transferring into one of these 'top end' schools? If so, any in the New York area worth looking at? Even outside of New York but I'd rather not leave my state.

stallman went there and now he's a hobo

When downloading files I notice my CPU usage spikes and my graphics driver tends to crash. Just tried updating my graphics driver and it seems like it's gotten worse for large files.
>But you're always downloading data, numbnuts.
I'm aware, but it's especially worse when saving files after a save dialog window opens and it spikes the entire time the file is downloading. It's not so bad for small things like images (performance has actually gotten better since updating the driver), but it's really bad with ones that take a while to download for whichever reason. As an example: I was downloading a 144MB file and during that my graphics driver died 8 times within not even 3 minutes. The CPU spiking and driver crashes immediately stopped as soon as the file finished downloading.

What could be causing this? I've never had this issue before.

ryzen is super good, and pretty future proof

i have a 1600, took it over 1600x, reasons being:
1600 has lover power consumption (65w vs 95w), as the X version is overclocked. I feel like the clock speeds with boost on 1600 are well enough (im barely scraping the performance potential yet), and if not i'll oc in the future
(mind the motherboard you buy, a320 chipset doesn't allow overclocking, also look at something like asrock ab350 pro4 (what i have) that has heatsyncs on VRM and a good phase design if you plan to oc in the future youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI )
also i think high speed ram is a good thing on ryzen processors, i got a 8gb gskill 3000hz ram stick and it works a charm. might want to get something even faster for future proof if you got the dosh for it, also pretty sure its better to buy kits of ram rated at high speed if you plan to buy several sticks, instead of just buying two of the same and sticking them in

dont know anything about videocards

also dont cheap out on PSU, and dont buy anything aerocool
the cheapest good PSU recommended to me by overclockers community DEEPCOOL DQ750ST 750W 80+gold

So there is this website that prints out a number every so often (it's a bit random) and I need to get that number either into a text file or excel. I've looked into web scrapers but they usually scrape once and then stop - I need mine to continuously get the number and print it into an excel file. What is the easiest way to do this? It's not in a table, it's in a div when I press f12 if that makes any sense. Thanks.

It shouldn't be too hard to write a short script that pulls the number from the website, now you just need to have it run when the website updates. To do that you can have the script regularly check the website and see if the number is different before recording the number.

I'm new to programming in python/linux

how tf do i import modules that i download from the internet into text editor

Is there a way to make Java applications use a specific GTK theme (other than the one that's currently in use)?
I want to force intellij idea to use the dark variant of my current theme because it's burning my eyes.
With GTK3 applications you can just use the
>GTK_THEME=theme:variant
environment variable, but Java doesn't seem to respect that and always goes for the GTK theme that the operating system is set to.

>Is it worth transferring into one of these 'top end' schools?
The top schools are mostly just good for networking. You'll run into a lot of well known/respected people in a field and the hope is that you'll get a good recommendation from one of them. Some people might also be impressed by just the name.

So I just recently bought a new monitor and decided to keep my old one for a dual monitor setup. Problem is that whenever I start up a game on the new monitor the second monitor keeps flickering off and on again, like its adjusting resolution or something. they're both the same resolution though, 2560x1440.

Anybody know how I can fix this?

>Will these be good for my needs, or potentially too much
i mean 1060 is probably overkill for dota and rl
also dont forget to use PSU calculator when you get your build done

I received a pc from a friend an the case itself has 2 fans, 1 at the top and 1 at the back. Both feel like exhausts so the case is without an intake fan.
Is one needed or can I flip one of the present fans.

Anyone got pic related?
What's it like?

i mean depends on how hot your system runs
i think generally its better to have intakes at the bottom front and outlets out the top back
having only outlets means you will have negative pressure inside, sucking air through all and any holes available

id just add two at the front of the case, if you have the ability, or put one at the front as an intake

I'll grab a fan for the front then. Will have to put up with a little extra noise.

Thanks for the help but I'm a complete rookie. What would I write the script in? I have some experience with visual basic and I can understand html but not much more than that. Is there some documentation somewhere?

If your laptop is going to be used mostly for simple web applications and things like word documents the low end Pentium is more than adequate.

Unless you're doing something fairly demanding and can justify the i5, but a number of those circle back around to, 'why buy a laptop?'

1: Can you ensure the CD drive actually works?

2: Are you booting to your CD drive on start up?