Unused RAM is wasted RAM

>unused RAM is wasted RAM
>swapping to disk is unacceptable
Which one is it, Sup Forums?

>swapping to dick is unacceptable
what are you, homo?

>I don't know what virtual memory is: the thread

Why not both?
Unused ram is wasted, but going over is slow and horrible. Use what you have and nothing more.

Get an SSD boyo

Why not make a RAM disk? Amiga OS used one and you can easily make one for other operating systems.

You're still moving shit from the HDD

install gentoo bruddah *spits*

I don't see the contradiction commanda

swapping to disk is not de whey

ramdisk

CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

*Klux Klu* *Klux Klu* *Klux Klu* *Klux Klu* *Klux Klu* *Klux Klu* *Klux Klu* *Klux Klu*

Secondary. When we have to dip to disk it is unbelievably slow for some applications.

If Kafka for example has to dip to disk because the offset isn't in memory it gets real slow real fast. Otherwise it's fast as fuck just due to the fact that it has a boatload of offsets in memory.

Both? Unused RAM is to be used as a cache that gets purged if you have something to actually put there.

>swapping to disk is unacceptable
*undesirable

useful when needed

>install gentoo bruddah *spits*
Dis is da Way muh Bruddahs
*Click* *Click* *Click* *Click* *Click*
Spit on the non-belivah *spits*

Post deleted due to Typing error

>have ramdisk
>run out of ram
>starts swapping to ram

you shud kno de wey

do you not kno de way bruda
your ram is free

>I don't know what virtual memory is 2: The attack of the Winchester!

Time cannot be bought, sold or otherwise obtained, money can. Swapping to disk increases computation time. Buying more memory spends money.

Time > money, thus swapping is worse.

o famoso posta bosta

But do you know de way?

Se chama BOSTEJO, seu animal.

desculpe

Both

this

i have my whole disk loaded into ram, have 250G of it and never reboot my computer in 2 years

>>unused RAM is wasted RAM
Anyone who says this is a brainlet who regrets their decisions in not buying 16 GB or more RAM because they use software that requires more than what they have or constantly uses all of their RAM

It's like playing the price is right.

Whoever gets closest without going over wins.

spit on the ramlets

>unused ram is wasted ram
>trusting your kernel/os to purge cached ram data properly and efficiently

>he doesn't use zswap
>he doesn't use bcachefs with tiering
>he doesn't own an nvme ssd
lol pleb

um, your Freudian slip is showing, sweety.

>red graph
Are those representing virtual cores from hyperthreading? I swear I've never seen that before.

Unused RAM is wasted RAM as long as your system is capable of handling memory properly and/or you have an SSD. If you have less than 6-8GBytes of RAM nowadays and use something like Windows on a hard drive you will most likely want to either disable those stupid ram hogging services and use lightweight software alternatives like opera/chromium or get an SSD.

No. This is kernel time.

In my experience, computers run faster when there's unused RAM.

Swapping out stale pages to free up ram for cache is also good management. Active swapping aka thrashing is the bad one.

I will show you de way bruddah. Buy twice the ram you think you need. This way you will never have to worry. 16GB min. 32GB if you run VMs for dev work.

Both.
They are not mutually exclusive.