DE thread

So, I have tried your KDE, feels nice, works super-smooth and fast, but some idiot in Ubuntu included so shitty theme, that felt painful, like macOS. And it was a pain to uninstall, because they still can't into normal packages. (Thanks to their K... naming it was relatively easy to remove it)
Also I've tried new Gnome... Shit. Slow shit. And feels more like Android-launcher, not Battle station desktop.
Now I use XFCE, kinda the best, but it looks old, like it is from Windows XP time...
And I've tried LXDE, fast, but it is too basic. And it is an overkill for Core i5 CPU...

What other DEs should I try?

Other urls found in this thread:

deviantart.com/customization/skins/linuxutil/desktopenv/xfce/whats-hot/
xfce-look.org/
webupd8.org/2016/05/how-to-get-global-menu-in-xubuntu-1604.html
webupd8.org/2017/02/alternative-global-menu-for-mate-and.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

dwm

>not Battle station desktop
Cringe. Also, there's /flgt/ for this. NO need to start another thread.

cinnamon and xfce are the only ones worth using

>Not found

esl-kun

It's /fglt/.

Tell me about cinnamon
Дa.
To basic.
Sorry than.

>Sorry than.
Not your fault I typed it wrong.

Use KDE with a better theme.

Alternately, you can try MATE. With MATE-tweaks you can choose from a few preset layouts ( they have a windows/kde style, a unity style, a mac style, and a few more. Its about as fast as xfce and about as stable as KDE.

Others to try include

Openbox
Enlightenment
Pantheon (you will need to use ElementaryOS or Sabayon/Gentoo/Arch)
Lxqt (Like lxde but better themes and looks nicer)
Lumina
Budgie

If all else fails, you are going to have to suck it up and learn to like a DE, or spend a tiny bit of effort learning to change themes. Honestly it should take like 30 seconds.

I actually really like open box by itself, I don't even bother using any DE with it

> or spend a tiny bit of effort learning to change themes
That is why linux is not popular between normies, because they don't want to spend extra 5 minutes after installation to make it look cool.

XFCE looks OK, Gnome 2.8 looked OK, KDE - always looked like rised shit, but had a potential to be the best DE, because it surprisingly is not that resource-heavy thing...

You'll love pantheon

Plasma is objectively the best. There's just no argument.

>Gnome fags

Can't into changing theme

>pantheon
1. I don't like docks.
2. I like to put time-sensitive work files on desktop, so I do them in time.
Why XFCE didn't included it in their project?

>Why XFCE didn't included it in their project?
Oh... Lol.
Read with my ass, as usual.

Thats stupid. It's way easier to change themes than it is to install a DE. Anyone savvy enough to change the default DE is going to have an easy time.

You don't HAVE to spend any time at all. Default gnome3, MATE, KDE, Openbox, etc all look fine with vanilla configs. Only xfce looks like garbage.

Normies don't use linux because it doesn't come on their computer. Installing an operating system is too scary and too much work for most. Configuring a theme isn't any harder than that.

I hate gnome and gtk3 so fucking much

I did not find this menu until last week after years of using this application
not like it contained much to set though, gtk3 is completely stripped of pretty much any user choice.

> Default gnome3
Still better described as Android-launcher
>KDE
Ok, I will try to install plasma, not kubuntu-shit
>MATE
Gnome 2... Looked cool back in 2004, as well, as XFCE
>Only xfce looks like garbage.
Not quite garbage. But still, from XP-era.

Simple mode:
deviantart.com/customization/skins/linuxutil/desktopenv/xfce/whats-hot/
xfce-look.org/
>Open home folder
>create a directory (folder) called .themes and .icons, note the . (period)
>press ctrl h (displays hidden folders)
>paste themes in .themes folder
>paste icons in .icons folder
>Open Settings manager
>Click on appearance
>masturbate without achieving an orgasm

any opinions of the Budgie DE? gnome looks and feels like ass but this seems alright

Same applies for kde, gnome, mate, ect..
Also MOUSE THEMES go into the .icons folder

Budgie looks like gnome with a windows side bar and mac dock. Actually, its just gnome with a few mods.

>Gnome

The fact that you write off MATE as being GNOME2 shows you have no experience with either one. MATE was originally inspired by GNOME 2, but it supports several layouts and uses modern GTK. It can be set up to look like several other desktop environments by flipping a single setting.

Gnome3 has a launcher yes, but you can easily disable it and have a traditional start-style menu with window buttons and a desktop if you want.

You have so many options and you are choosing instead to ignore them and regurgitate opinions based on nothing.

>pic
How have you moved 'File ...' to the bar in XFCE?

>The actual state of Gnome

so wait if Gnome keeps removing features will it soon be just a window manager or what ?

>Literally Gnome

Gnome is simply DEBATING changing from the DE rendering the desktop, to an extension doing it. This is for a future version of gnome, and isn't even final.

Q: How many GTK+/GNOME devs does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None. Things are simpler if you just live in the dark.

De is bloat

it seems to retain a lot of the features that the moron gnome devs are cutting, and it feels a lot snappier. I didn't use it for very long yet

That looks pretty nice user, but what's it like with animations and rollover effects and stuff? A lot of things look nice in static screenshots, but then they're in ugly when you actually use them.
Also what theme is that?

>but it supports several layouts and uses modern GTK
OK, they ported Gnome2 to newer GTK. But it changed nothing, still looks old without ricing.
>but you can easily disable it and have...
Again, as a 'normie' I don't want to change anything.

There are many apps for xfce depending on your distro. I see you're using ubuntu, assuming lts?
This is the standard way, but be warned, it doesn't support transparency.
webupd8.org/2016/05/how-to-get-global-menu-in-xubuntu-1604.html

The Vala Appmenu plugin (I use this one):
webupd8.org/2017/02/alternative-global-menu-for-mate-and.html
supports transparency. Its a little different to configure however, but (imo) better.

I use compton, so very smooth! Also compiz works fine, but if you're using standard xfce, just enable vsync to avoid tearing.

The theme is greybird, with macbird for the window theme. Dock is plank.

Wallpaper please

Thanks

Lol, that's true. I tried budgie for a while. It's smooth but it definitely feels like a fork (albeit, a solid one).

I’m going to assume no niggas on Sup Forums posted lumina DE.

You are such a fucking moron. Do you use wifi? You know how the first time you connect, you need to click the little button and then press "connect"? Thats how much work it is to change your theme/layout on MATE or KDE.

If you want things to look perfect out of the box, then you are shit out of luck. 99% of people use stock Windows/Mac/Gnome/KDE. If those aren't good enough for you then you are going to change some settings. I'm sorry the world hasn't magically shaped itself to your wishes.

I already mentioned it.

I prefer LXQT, but lumina seems alright. Pretty impressive for a one person project.

>Do you use wifi? You know how the first time you connect.
It's true. That is why I don't want to set more things.

XFCE has a very sexy theme called arc
sudo apt install arc or something, its easy.

There's no need to act immature towards people new the intricacies of linux. At some point to had to learn to walk, read, and ride a bike.

I kinda used linux for a while, since 10.04 ubuntu I think... And I don't like to rice anything, because it is stupid.

Awesome WM just has you add one line of code to the config file and the wifi/ethernet connection will remain forever. It's so painless

Honestly you should use a wm like i3 or dwm. De's are only good for beginners

Looks like shit. Stock one looks better.

>tfw tried compiling dwm and booted into it only to find that none of the keybinds work
I have no idea why, and I don't get any errors so I'm kind of stuck. Awesome WM works perfectly though

That's understandable. Ricing doesn't add to its functionality. I usually pick a theme and stick with it for years. My cherry popper was ubuntu 6.06.

I guess i just like older, sharper, less Mac-ish DE's?

What about the Trinity DE?

Changing a setting is not some arcane linux secret. I'm not advocating anything crazy here. I'm just saying OP has already done more work by installing linux than they will learning to pick a theme.

The OP feels that it makes more sense to search for a DE that fits all of their preferences out of the box, than to spend a fraction of that time just picking a nice theme/layout.

This isn't a linux thing either, this is literally true of all operating systems/platforms. If you don't like a small aspect of a piece of software, it usually makes sense to check to see if that software can be configured slightly before ditching it completely.

Probably.
Even older Mac-like (and Mac OS X before 10.9) are totally fine for me.
Never macOS makes me sick, as well, as anything that copies it.
However Windows 10 doesn't.
>Trinity DE
Well... Meh.
Yes, installing different DEs instead of ricing one is stupid... But still, there are no DEs that are not shit or looking to old without any ricing.

So, in conclusion there is no better thing that XFCE, I guess...

Hey user, maybe you should Make DE's Great Again?

Actually I am thinking about it for a while now. But I still don't know what to do, because anyway, it would be just a riced XFCE (or whatever) out from box...
And we had that meme in Russia a while back (the BolgenOS, Ubuntu, where one school student replaced all icons and copyright stuff....) And I don't want to make a BolgenOS mk2...

I don't mean be bolgen 2.0.
I mean do your research on how DE's and GUI's work, and then script your own.

A good rule of thumb for graphics: a user should be able to know by visual cues alone what what does. You can self-test this by changing the language to something you don't understand and then seeing if you can navigate without any trouble.

Functionality won't be too big a deal, you just need to have buttons. Remember that visual cues (like the button getting discolored when hovered by mouse) are very useful to have.

Lastly, make sure graphics are pleasant to look at (colour theory my man).

Now go out there and make poppy, clover, or whatever you plan on calling it. Come back to Sup Forums and shill it once you are done.

MATE was completely ported to GTK3. It's bloated. It consumes as much as Cinnamon. Cinnamon consumes around 700MiB after a fresh install w/o doing nothing. FUCK GTK3 YOU IGNORANT PIECE OF SHIT