Older versions of Windows have a larger performance impact because Windows 7 and Windows 8 have more user-kernel...

>Older versions of Windows have a larger performance impact because Windows 7 and Windows 8 have more user-kernel transitions because of legacy design decisions, such as all font rendering taking place in the kernel

7 fags on suicidewatch

computerworld.com/article/3247645/microsoft-windows/windows-7-takes-biggest-performance-hit-from-emergency-meltdown-spectre-updates.html

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.oszone.net/thread-257198.html
wsusoffline.net/
techspot.com/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/page6.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>never update
Problem solved

this

>using windows

10 is impacted as well

Larger performance hit, but 7 runs faster compared to 10 on any hardware. 10 was already slower.

No shit

Fake news, 10 is much faster than 7.
Source: tested it on various configs myself.

7 comes with a shitload of legacy cruft, you know.

Default OS settings? 7 is faster than 10 if tweaked vs tweaked

Nope, not by a long shot.

You may be tweaking 10 wrong though. Gotta turn off all the privacy-violating bullshit there properly.

wew lad

this. i have an unupdated daz 2009 era win 7 image i cloned and just reflash if anything breaks and i think thats only needed to be done twice

i didnt have the bandwidth to update many years ago and was weary of them long before the forced telemetry. its windows its a joke, i just use it for media consumption / production / shitposting

if i want security i use debian

What about INVPCID?, why is not supported in w7?

There are a bunch of those things scattered around the system, you dumbass. It's not just one service.

not him but i use win 10 AME in a VM if i need any win programs and i feel it is much faster than the 7 i was using previously. If there is any difference you will notice it more in a VM

>i use win 10 AME
Please leave Sup Forums forever immediately.

You can update without all the crap, and/or just run ancile script after you update to remove the botnet. Not updating at all is a pretty bad idea if the machine is online at all.

*100% disk use behinds you*

citation needed or lay off the pot. its really lightweight and totally fine for those two programs i need inside a VM.

you would think that but i have many other machines and as long as pfsense firewall holds up and use a modern browser and dont go installing any new programs...2009 non updated win 7 just werks

its not nightmare fuel like 98 and xp were when they were connected to the net

What pfsence firewall settings do you have set? Do you a use a IDS/IPS like Suricata?

Clean install without disabling anything isn't the same.

>not using Windows

This

Oh no whatever shall i do ?

Oh wait! What i was doing before! Not updating.

I haven't see any mention of win 8.1 performance impact nor skylake on win 8.1, it isn't dead geez.

This

What kind of tweaks? Any links on what you did to Windows 7?

>Source: tested it on various configs myself.
That's not how it works, user.

It is in my book.

this is why i downgraded to 7.
didn't use my computer for a couple months, came back home and this 100% disk use began after a W10 update.

none of the fixes i tried worked. no problems since downgrade.

I did benchmarks myself too. On three systems, in fact.

2600k, 2x 780ti, 32GB G.Skill, Samsung 850Evo
3770k, Titan X Pascal, 32GB G.Skill, Intel 530
6950x, Titan X Pascal - preliminary build - only 8GB RAM and same Intel 530

Tested 7Sp1 and multiple versions of 10. 7 scored constantly better, LTSB2016 came second, Pro1709 = Pro1607 third.

thinkpad t430
i3 ivy beidge @2.4ghz
windows 7

I updated on it and there is quite no significant slowdown, maybe just disable all aero looking stuff and will be ok.

Now all we need is a new Windows version with Windows 7 stability, Windows Vista look, and Windows 10 optimizations.

>Windows 10 "optimizations"
no. let the crap stay in one place, don't litter other products.

I think he means stuff like support for USB 3.0 after manufacturers stop making Windows 7 drivers for it very soon, and also fixed UEFI support to boot on PCs made after 2020.

You know, just minor optimizations...

Fake news. 7 is faster and less bugged.

Lmao but 10 fags continue denying this problem exists.

I'm 99% sure that issue was fixed long ago, time to update...

This issue exists since 8.1 and can also be found if you update 7. It's not going anywhere.
Though it's not just a windows problem, any microsoft software can cause it (even skype). The best solution is to stick to windows 7 with a safe set of updates and never install microsoft crap products like skype or skydrive or whatever.

I was talking about Windows 10 only. You're right that the same problem is unfixed on Windows 7 and 8.1... because nobody cares about them now, including Microsoft! No more mainstream support.

What update should I block?

Just did fresh win7proN install on laptop since win10 would turn it up in the middle of the night and start trashing updates for hours every couple days.

Also what updated to block to prevent windows telemetry installing?

KB2952664
KB3021917
KB3068708
KB3080149
KB3184143
KB971033

Or you could use either of:
forum.oszone.net/thread-257198.html
wsusoffline.net/

Thanks man.

it's not an issiue you retard it's a feature
i mean how do you think windows 10 is gonna remember all this telemetry data ?

What telemetry data?

My telemetry level is set to the lowest possible, where there's a trickle of basic diagnostic info that I don't give a shit about. And that's only because I choose not to use LTSB and disable it completely.

I get your point. Fuck off ms shill.

You net how much this is an Intel/Microsoft conspiracy to have some gains after the fallout and force people to update to 10 and buy new CPU?
At least on Intel front it's shit people may just switch to amd

It's not as amusing the second time.

So, is Microsoft gonna make a new Windows version, or are they going to continue making updates for Windows 10?

According to insides they will eventually rename windows 10 to just windows.

Shit. I hope they change their mind. W10 is a terrible base.

It's less terrible than 8.

This, my dude. OP is a faggot.

Windows 7 remastered when?

Maybe in the 2040

My phenom II doesn't have this problem.

Morons like you are the reason Windows 10 enforces updates you know.

>willingly keeping a huge security thread in order to save 2% of gaming performance

There's people that thought W7 had better performance?

7 does perform better though.

And Windows 10 is used by morons like you who can't read the OP.

>Windows 10 enforces updates
can't you bypass that by removing windows update or something?

Wrong, don't listen to these shills

techspot.com/review/1042-windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7/page6.html

>font rendering taking place in the kernel
lol

OK then. How to upgrade pirated 7 to 10?

What's his name?

So what? They're free to weigh the costs of vulnerability and make a decision. Why do you care if other people put themselves at risk?

I don't care about w10. I use w7 as a gaming OS exclusively, since that's the only purpose the OS serves in 2018. I couldn't care less about new features or vulnerability updates. I'm pretty sure my OS is still vulnerable to wannacry.

>I'm pretty sure my OS is still vulnerable to wannacry.
Not if updated.

There was at least two major updates since 2015. At least one of them aimed specifically to improve performance, adding game mode and such. Let's not even talk about differences in dx12 performance (Gears of war 4 is pretty good).

Stock pile extra core components to ensure longevity/ or in case "shit" happens. Since modern components tend to last decades if not abused you should only have to replace/upgrade storage and psu as time goes by. SATA and ATX spec won't be going anywhere and since SATA is 100% backwards compatible (SATA III Drive will work perfect in old SATA 1 mobo for ex) there's no downside.

To be honest, famalam, I don't really care whether or not Win7 runs a bit slower because I'm willing to put up with that over all the copious bullhonkey of Win10. Stop being LITERALLY autistic.

>have windows 10 on dual boot
>don't launch t in months
>it force downloads creator's update once I finally do
>it resets a bunch of my settings
>try to change them back
>they actually removed basic customization features like individual font sizes
>have to actually use a third party program and re-log into the account just to change this shit
Garbage OS.

What am I keeping secure? I'm not stupid enough to keep my personal information on a PC I use to game and torrent things. Anyone who manages to get all the info off of my PC is going to receive a steam account password(that they can't change because of two factor authentication) and a refillable prepaid credit card that never has more than 100 dollars on it. The security on that computer would still be laughable even with updates, which is why I don't bother and just do everything important on a different, actually approaching secure computer.