So I have this old shit 2004- era desktop running XP that I have no idea what to do with...

So I have this old shit 2004- era desktop running XP that I have no idea what to do with. Really shit build even for when it was build, damn thing doesn't have any fans other than the CPU cooler's and Power Supply's. Any ideas as to something it could be used for, or should I just junk it? Pic unrelated.

get a couple pci sata cards and make it a space heater/file server combo

My rule -> it's 32 bit throw it out

Play runescape on it at 5fps

What software would you run on it?
I tried looking into FreeNAS and others like it but they've mostly turned to higher end server shit rather than old shit
>newest verison of FreeNAS requires 8 GB of RAM
JUST

Why's that your rule??

Fuckin thing has less than a gig of ram, I think. Do PCI SATA cards run really hot or something?

install windows 98 or 2000 and play games on it like RCT or something.
install BOINC and have it run a project of your choice at 100% cpu until it dies?
Just whatever you do, don't leave it a closet alone, those old dells multiply and pretty soon you'll have so many and have no idea where they came from.

i have the same pc. it really is shit, p4 came with 512mb of ram 2gb max supported, integrated graphics would crash xp for years, didn't realise it was faulty until i tried to install linux and it wouldn't until I changed the gpu. also no pci-e support, best you can use is a voodoo2.

throw openbsd on it and use it as a router or a fileserver

I gave mine to a friend so he could play an old game on it. If you have attic space I guess you could throw it in there and pull it out if you need a really old machine in the future for some odd reason. Too inefficient energy wise to keep plugged in regularly imo.

> he thinks it needs to be bristling with fans to be "good"
The absolute state of Sup Forums.

list the system specs, all of them

> torrentbox
> router
> firewall
> virus filter
> webserver
> email server
> ebook reader
> encrypted file repository
> media server

any/ any combination of the above and more are all possibilities, and there are others

if you aren't retarded

>Really shit build

It's single fan because it's nicely designed, see that CPU hood. Fan is also temperature controlled and has ball bearing unlike sleeve gaymur shit. Caps are HQ, had 30+ those in the office and not a single one failed. PSU while not powerful is also very quiet and HQ stuff.

You can't really do anything with it since P4 so it idles at like 70W.

Used it as main office computer till few years ago, did 70k hours like nothing, have couple of those still being used as rdp terminals.

leave it in the street so local gypsies will pick it up

>heh kiddo if you acknowledge me as computer god I might take pity and show you how to read an ebook

I have a Dimension 1100 which I believe is what you posted. It's okay for very basic stuff if you install lubuntu or Debian with lxde. Don't bother browsing the web. My one just manages to play Spotify. My model has the celeron D however which sucks ass. It would be fine as a basic file server or something. And about the fans, I haven't found it needing any cooling to be honest, it doesn't get warm even maxed out and will run happily without the fan connected without breaking a sweat. Oh and the integrated graphics in XP for me wouldn't output 1080p however Linux outputs 1080p no problem so just FYI.

I'd make sure it has a clean install of XP with drivers, and leave an .iso and key if needed on that drive, then box it if you have the room. A lot of retro gamers will want it in the future because most will have been destroyed. I have the space so I keep a few vintage PCs mothballed for the future.

>no fans
It's BTX you fucking idiot

I did this. Works very well. :)

it is not

actually you're right I guess

There is pretty much nothing a Pentium 4 machine can do that a Core 2 Duo can't do 10 times faster while using less power, and those can be had for basically free if you look around. That doesn't mean it's useless or that you can't have fun with it though.

oh fuck dude those things take me back
i have 5 of them back home and linked 'em together. now i have a pretty choice home server cluster

Lubuntu works well on P4 machines. I don't think it's a shit build, it's just not designed for asinine tasks like playing games.

Waste of electricity honestly as better solutions exsist.

Donate it to a charity OP, make sure to not include the Hard Drive if personal data is on it though.

this. even linux distros are slowly dropping 32 bit support.

Use Unbuntu on my Gallatin Xeon server for an IPTV service as it's about the only thing it can do. Has no issue de-scrambling a UHD stream but gets toasty when usage ramps up to 40%. Motherboard can take 2 CPUs and they're like a $1 on ebay but the heatsinks for socket 604 are none existent and cost $30+.

Open media server

>Fill it full of harddrives, buy adapters and weld in server hdd cages for more drive bays
>install linux
>install samba
>put it somewhere and run it headless as a file server

Mine $0.00001 worth of dogecoin every day until it the price skyrockets to 20k

>that glorious heatsync

hahahahaha holy shit

Paperweight, doorstop, footrest, space heater.
Or take out all the internal components, hang the case on the wall, and use it to store stuff.

If you gotta get rid of it, shoot a couple of 12-gauge bullets through the hard drive and put the rest on your front porch. Someone will take it eventually.

It's worthless for anything involving computing. Sucks down three times as much electricity as a Core 2 Duo to do a third of the work.

run mame arcade games on it, host a website on it, run any DOS game at the highest settings possible, run a security system off of it.

I recycle and work on so many of these green plastic computers. They are such a pain to take apart and put back together.

tell me about it. I was always taking mine apart to clean the thing. KERCHUNK every time

Trash. Caps are probably fucked or about to be. Not old enough to be retro, too old to do anything useful.

Other than to keep as a cheap retro gaymen PC. A lot of them have 9x drivers.

>Waste of electricity
Mine only had something like a 100 watt PSU, how the hell can it be a waste, when there's probably 3/4 of us running machines consuming six times that power to browse Sup Forums?

Turn it into a home server or some shit, i've done it with old machines and it can be fun.

NAS4Free is the cheapo version

You could also install Debian and just run whatever services you want from there.