Ham Radio Test

ITT: We see if we can pass the Ham radio license test despite having never studied for it

aa9pw.com/cgi-bin/exam2011.cgi

DAMN.

>You scored 17 correct answers and 18 incorrect answers from a total of 35.
>You also forgot to answer 1 questions in the exam.
>Unfortunately, you had 18 wrong answers and you are only allowed 9.

tfw radiolet
It was interesting thou.

not bad for guessing. i’ll do this when i get home

Holy shit I suck

>You scored 20 correct answers and 15 incorrect answers from a total of 35.

>Unfortunately, you had 15 wrong answers and you are only allowed 9.

i'm just happy my maths on "Which of the following frequencies is in the 12 meter band?" checked out. the rest was mostly intuitive guess work.

>Results:
>You scored 14 correct answers and 21 incorrect answers from a total of 35.
>Unfortunately, you had 21 wrong answers and you are only allowed 9.

14/21 not terrible for guessing.

if there are 35 questions with 4 possible answers each, randomly guessing on all questions, how many are you likely to guess correctly?

Each question you have 25% of guessing correctly.
Is it ~8-9 questions are likely to be guessed corretly or am I wrong?

if you made purely random guesses, then yes, but if you apply your intuition, general test taking skills and basic knowledge of science you can eliminate many of the wrong answers.

Now I want to pick up a copy of the ARRL handbook and study this stuff.

Right, but anyone answering consistently above ~8 to 9 (if that math is correct) with little to no knowledge of the material is doing significantly better than randomly guessing.

if you had a program which would randomly pick an answer for each question and then run the same program again without knowing the results, then yes, the average would approach 8.75 the more you do it.

there is no consistency. see

>all these choices are correct
This is my go to selection for multichoice questions. Unfortunately, only work one time out of four, i think.

You scored 17 correct answers and 18 incorrect answers from a total of 35.

Unfortunately, you had 18 wrong answers and you are only allowed 9.

I should have got more right because I did study a long time ago just never took the test. Didn't remember a lot of it.

19/16 right/wrong answers.
t. only passed second semester of EE

it also checked out on the antenna length question, but i didn't know best practices for antenna building so i got it wrong.

the one that asked if you need and longer or shorter antenna for high frequencies?

>What is the approximate length for a 1/2-wave dipole antenna cut for 14.250 MHz?
i calculated the wave length itself but of course that wasn't the answer

how are people getting so high?

I already have, I got my license that way.

how did you do?

Took two tries but I was also sleep deprived, I had to stay up overnight to make sure I could leave early enough for the two hour drive to the 8am test.

fug :--D

Took all 3 tests.

The first one is made to be easy to encourage licensing. It's a good way to get your foot in the door.

I really just did it for emergencies.

I only took the other two just in case I'd one day need HF.

bump for interest in HAM

11 wrong, I guess I should try to get a license.

Ham here.
Anything you want to know?

yes you should get your license.

I washed out... I got 19 wrong.

is it true hams (by law) cannot encrypt data transmissions?

what are the demographics of the people you typically talk to? are they all aged 70+ white men?

It is. IIRC the law was passed in the 60s. They probably threw in a whole load of “vote yes or you’re trying to protect communist spies” garbage rhetoric to get it passed. Clearly, they weren't anticipating the internet. Now it’s in that niche where it’s clearly an absolutely retarded law, but it effects too few people for any law maker to bother repealing it.

If they're not going to enforce it, then just do it.

from what I understand, ham heads love to narc on fellow ham heads for not following the letter of the law

Not him, but I'm a Ham as well. They're mostly retired white guys over 60yo in my area.

i'm drunk and dont evn know what a ham radio is

>consuming the liquid jew

I don't usually drink desu but i visited my dad and he's an alcoholic i cant turn down free stuff

It's the other other white radio.

in my country if you did a certain type of high school you can get the license without the exam

22/35, don't know US laws or bandplan

been licenced in straya for years though

can't encrypt but you can experiment with different transmission modes or design your own, which would be just as effective

You scored 19 correct answers and 16 incorrect answers from a total of 35.

Unfortunately, you had 16 wrong answers and you are only allowed 9.

i guessed on just about every single one.
honestly if it wasn't multiple choice, i wouldn't have been able to correctly answer a single one.

15/35. Don't hate. I'm Muslim and ham is haram.

Stealing the HAM is Haram joke.

haramateur

17/35

no ham sandwich for me

you are correct. there are alot of those out there.

t.ham head

>12/35
t. a Ham radio licensee (no joke)
I guess I got lucky when I took it ~8 years ago, I never used my licence though

Lol 26/35. Maybe I should take the exam.

Encryption's still touchy with some shit. You can't legally work on OpenBSD's crypto as an American due to it being a Canadian project.

do it

I have an extra class license and I don't know half of this shit.