Servers

What's Sup Forums OS of choice when it comes to Servers in general ?

Debian stable

Arch

Ubuntu Server

This, but with sysv

centos

is this the homelab thread? because i have a retarded question
i bought a dell powerconnect 3448P a couple days ago for $25, and while i don't even have the cables necessary to manage it right now, i'd like to know if there's a specific port i have to plug the modem into or if i can just plug it into any old slot and get going

Install Gentoo.

It's a managed switch so you can configure any port you like to plug your modem into.

centos or fedora

OpenBSD

will it even work in unmanaged mode?

For servers, Fedora, after having replaced firewalld with iptables-services and having uninstalled NetworkManager, sssd, pcsc-lite
and abso-fucking-lutely removed cockpit if it's "server flavour" install
>cock
>pit
SELinux is always enabled, at best I keep it in permissive mode for a short test period if there's some new app fighting with SELinux permissions AND the server has to go in production immediately

I still compile custom rpms for nginx (various patches inspired and leeched from the centminmod project) and kernel (disable everything unneeded and further hardening)

For kubernetes, Fedora

For desktops, Fedora

For kiosks, CentOS

t. fell for the `OpenBSD is moar secure' meme and isn't providing any relevant public-facing service besides maybe a nameserver and some shitty website designed with vi

Nope. Maybe there's a config out there that makes it work like an unmanaged switch.

CentOS cause I'm not a retard and actually manage servers for a living

Debian, duhh

/thread for your convenience

unironically windows 7. It's lack of security makes it easy to configure and highly compatible.

FreeBSD or Debian. Period.

Debian, for everything

RHEL

B S D
S
D

rhel, its stable as fuck and you have awesome repos, you can actually get it for free on developers program

despite its kernel version is from 3.10 branch it has actually quite recent up to date userland software, gnome is 3.22 ver for example, what community requests red hat just make it happen

raspbian lite

works awesome on my thinkpad btw, using dwm

Ubuntu LTS, debian stable is too stable.

you can get it for free through CentOS

centos is clone, rhel has special "compilation sauce" which they are not required to release

centos dont have many services like rhel does, and many repos/software are missing or not available through default repos, also rhel is the only linux distro that has license to use some firmware files, security updates are nearly instant.. 2 hours after spectre occured they have patched it immediately, centos had it far later..

This
/thread